Tested positive for fungal infection (Aspergillus ***** and Rhizopus mold) in sinuses
In September of 2006 my three children and I were going to move into a home that was severely damaged by mold. At first we had no clue about the mold damage, we only knew that the house had an aweful musty smell and it was explained that the house had been closed up for two years. The landlord and I agreed that if I did the cleaning and a few small repairs he would give me three free months of rent. The repairs included painting, laying carpet, tile, sweeping, mopping, etc. My middle daughters asthma acted up every time she entered the house so the first week she stayed in the yard while I cleaned and painted. While finishing the paint in the kitchen, I moved the refrigerator and under the fridge I found a large black spot on the floor (roughly the size of a 15″ car tire. I brought this up to the landlord, who in turn told me to just clean the mold with bleach water and that it was no big deal. I removed the linoleum where the mold was and realized the more linoleum I pulled up, the more mold covered the flooring. Again I brought this up to the landlord who assured me by using 2/3 cups of bleach to a gallon of water would kill the mold and it was no big deal. I continued pulling up the linoleum and cleaning the mold with a scrub brush and pure bleach instead of water and bleach. I had no knowledge concerning mold, was never told to wear a mask or anything. As I got closer to the dining area, I removed a piece of linoleum and a dust cloud blew into my face. I immediately got dizzy and turned so pale I looked like death had knocked on my door. I did make it outside for fresh air and as I walked onto the porch my oldest 2 daughters and the friend they had at the house came running to my side to see if I was ok. We ended up leaving the house because I did not feel good and the next morning when I awoke I was running a fever, my eyes were so black it looked like someone puinched in my eyes, my nose was clogged up so bad I could hardly breath, I had nose bleeds, my body ached all over (muslces and joints), I bruised very easy, My blood pressure began rising the sicker I got, my memory got reaaly bad )I could barely remember things), I had uncontrollable (severe) anxiety attacks, I suffered asthma attacks, I was white as a ghost….. I was deathly ill. It was very similar to flu symptoms but more severe. A few more days went by and my sickness kept getting worse so I went to the ER. Over the course of a month I went to the ER at least 10 times about my sickness, finally they decided to test me for a fungal infection. During this month of ER visits I also went to see my physician and other doctors he referred me to. A lung doctor decided to also give me a fungal test…. 4 to 5 weeks later the results came in and I was positive for Rhizopus mold, Aspergillus ***** and some other mold but I can’t remember the name of it. I was put on an antifungal meducation but the prescription was messed up and instead of getting the 21 day prescription, I was only given 7 days. On December 12th of 2006 I was hospitalized and had an IV of amphitocerin B (or something like that, I can’t remember how its spelled but its a very potent antifungal). I hired an attorney because after spending months cleaning, painting, laying carpet, etc and being so sick I could barely move the landlord decided unless I found someone to take my place and move into the home he wasn’t giving me back my 500.00 deposit. Long story short it is now November of 2010 and we are no closer to closing my case than we were when I went to the attorney in 2006. My attorney does not want to go to court because he doesn’t feel like I have a good enough case to win and the guy that was going to be my landlord is fighting my lawsuit left and right. Doctors in Georgia do not have much knowledge on mold cases so when I was going through my sickness it took me forever to find a doctor with any experience. I had to get nasal surgery to remove the mold in my sinuses and thank God I had a healthy immune system or the mold would’ve killed me. Since my illness I still have severe sinusitis attacks, I now suffer allergies (which I never had until the mold), my memory is still very bad, my right side shakes uncontrollably at times (my left side does too but it happens to my right side more), I have severe muscle aches, severe anxiety…. I feel like my health is deteriorating but none of the doctors I see can tell me why. How would I find out if the health problems I suffer from today are a result from my mold infection? Is it even possible for someone to have lifelong health problems after having a fungal infection? I don’t know who to turn to or where I can go for help and when you tell doctors out here that you’ve had a fungal infection in the past they just look at you like you’re stupid.
Last edited by FatAndDepressed; 11-26-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Reason: mispelled word