It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
(female)

rockatiel HB User
Exclamation HELP - Friend thinks he will die of stomach infection?

Hi, I have a friend of sorts who already suffers from a delusional mental illness, and we have been working to get him help. Anyway...

He recently showed symptoms of GERD, and went to the doctor. He was vomiting as well. Apparently his doctor gave him an antibiotic and after a few days he felt better.

Today he came to me and said that his infection has spread to his intestines, and his doctor told him that if he doesn't get help and does not take his medication, the infection will spread to his blood and he will die.

He is 18 years old, and we always find it hard to believe him with certain things because he is always out for pity over really ridiculous stuff. He also is in denial about being disturbed, but several experts know he is.

Please help and tell me if this is a credible story and if he could possibly die or not.

Last edited by rockatiel; 01-20-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: HELP - Friend thinks he will die of stomach infection?

Well it sounds like he might have had H-pylori (if the doc gave him antibiotics for GERD)

He *could* have an overgrowth E-coli. Or C-diff and needs antibiotics for that. (he would have nasty diarrhea)

A doc *could* have told him to take all his meds or he could die to get him to take the meds.

Not much help I know

Pup

The Following User Says Thank You to pupcake For This Useful Post:
rockatiel (01-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
(female)

rockatiel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupcake View Post
Well it sounds like he might have had H-pylori (if the doc gave him antibiotics for GERD)

He *could* have an overgrowth E-coli. Or C-diff and needs antibiotics for that. (he would have nasty diarrhea)

A doc *could* have told him to take all his meds or he could die to get him to take the meds.

Not much help I know

Pup
Oh, no, it's fine. I wasn't really expecting a definite answer.
I just didn't know if his story about dying was the real thing.

Thanks, I didn't even think of that.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

Well if he doesn't take all the meds then the bacteria could become resistant and it could kill him.

Pup

Old 01-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
(female)

rockatiel HB User

Mmkay. Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

Closed Thread