I am trying to help my girlfriend find an accurate diagnosis for her puzzling and recurring symptoms. She was over in Nairobi and Kisumu, Kenya, in August of last year and was helping in a medical clinic outreach. She came down with typhoid fever over there and was treated successfully with medication. Upon returning home she had a relapse and was put back on antibiotics. She had another relapse within several weeks and again treated.
She has been ruled clear of typhoid but she has the following cluster of symptoms that seem to recur roughly every three weeks:
1. Sudden onset of exhaustion.
2. Extremely sore throat (looks slightly red)
3. Right ear hurts
4. Bladder pain/infection
5. These 4 symptoms ebb and flow for a few hours, followed later by drenching sweats - doesn't appear to have fever.
6. During the night up every 2 hours or so. By this time sore throat is gone.
7. In a day or two a blister (usually just one) breaks out on her face, that turns red.
She has had HIV ruled out, mono ruled out. The dr. did find she had e.coli at one point but that has been treated and resolved. Is this some type of tropical disease that can go dormant and then recur? No one seems to have any answers. Thanks for any input.