It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
The next wave of colds, flus, infections coming....

Hi I suspect another wave of colds, flues, and infections will be coming! Would anyone like to take a guess as to why I think so?

Old 03-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
(male)

HiPeople HB User
Re: The next wave of colds, flues, infections coming....

Because more people are getting sick?
Lately I have heard more ambulance go around.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: The next wave of colds, flues, infections coming....

Hi well we passed a holiday in which people eat more candy. Usually within 30 days of each holiday people start getting more flu and colds. There is usually a wave of them after those in which people buy more of the popular treats for those days. I suspect there will be another one coming withing the 30 days following the April holiday. One doctor thinks the blood becomes more sticky, this could contribute to more heart attacks from clots. Fatty foods are also consumed around holidays such as the favorite turkey etc.

Last edited by sjb; 03-02-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
(male)

HiPeople HB User
Re: The next wave of colds, flus, infections coming....

That is the first time i heard such logical information =D.
Good thing i don't eat a lot of candy, but for the fatty food everyone can agree its delicious over the holidays no matter the season.

The following user gives a hug of support to HiPeople:
sjb (03-02-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

It's just a coincidence that people eat sugary treats and then get the flu later. What's actually happening is that the flu virus is more stable and easy to spread during colder weather and lower humidity. In the Northern Hemisphere we get waves of cold and dry weather from late winter into early srping. The flu virus is spread through the air. The flu virus stays suspended in the air longer when the air is cold and dry.

Last edited by esker; 03-02-2011 at 02:32 PM.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I believe air to be good for a person in general even in winter. Its temperature may be hard to deal with for some with certain conditions such as asthma and cold induced hives.
However for the most part the "cold air" as a cause for sickness I believe to be a pass on theory from the days when they believed in miasma as a cause for sickness.

They have shown in the microscopes that white blood cells slow down their phagocytosis when sugar is taken in. If the white blood cells are too sticky to eat fast enough the germs get ahead of them a little bit and the toxins are produced and the person becomes sick. Sugar is known by some well respected authors to cause a type of clogging of the system.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

No, I'm sorry, you misunderstand. It's not the cold air causing the infection. It's that the virus is able to stay suspended in the air when the air is cold and dry. When the air is warm and humid, the virus falls to the ground.

Transmission of the virus has nothing to do with the viscosity of the bloodstream.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Esker, in terms of meteorology, warm, moist air is lighter than cold, dry air. That is why cold air highs sink and warm, moist air rises over the cold and creates storms. If you are a golf fan, you know that balls go much farther in warm, moist air than cool, dry air. Warmth means less density of the air molecules.

Why would cooler denser air make virus particles stick around longer.....would the increased density make the virus particles suspend in the air even longer? Is that the scientific principle involved here?

Jenny(these little things drive me nuts...need to know)

Old 03-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

The virus is released as an aerosol when a person coughs or sneezes. In humid air, the aerosolized particles attract moisture, become heavier, and fall to the ground. In cold air, the aerosolized particles remain, well, aerosolized, smaller, lighter and therefore remaining suspended in the air for longer. Additionally, the virus particles were found to be more stable at lower temperatures and lower humidity, remaining active and capable of infection for longer periods of time.

None of this is new. The study was published four years ago.

Last edited by esker; 03-02-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Thanks. Just wondered if air density played a role but obviously that wasn't taken into consideration...just the needs of the virus.

Interesting. Thanks again.

Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
esker (03-02-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I need to open my window daily and let the pathogens blow out the window!

Oh yes they say a person should stay at least 3 feet away from anyone with flu, colds, coughs sniffles etc. However some people say germs have been found about 16 feet across the room after a sneeze or a cough. I beg to differ from the 3 foot opinion and if there is real danger of catching something I think 16 feet from a sneezer etc. might be more appropriate especially if he didn't have time to cover his mouth, (a bit late) .

They have done a lot over the years with the public bathroom system with special devices, for soap and toilets and doors to help with transmission.

Last edited by sjb; 03-03-2011 at 04:14 AM. Reason: addition made, deletion made, wording change for the purpose of making it kinder

Old 03-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #12
(male)

HiPeople HB User

Opening the window and letting the virus out? But wouldn't some of it come in.

The new machines put in fancy places to reduce touching the dirty surfaces are so much fun to use.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Hi there are probably more bacteria and viruses in our homes than many think from things like rotting vegetation nearby, garbage, refrigerators, toilets, other sick family member friends, breathing, etc. Some are tracked around from outside nearby places with such things as a huge garbage bin or a place where it was spilled accidentally. If a person keeps the body in better condition in the first place then they would be less likely to become sick with something like this. They are everywhere. Also opening the window I have read may blow some of the radon out of the homes in those buildings that are not as well made.

Last edited by sjb; 03-02-2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: deletion and typo

Old 03-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Well this is a very interesting thread, as I always believed the cold air killed off germs. I remember many years ago when our family Dr. would tell me if anyone in the house was sick, to shut off the heat and open a few windows to let in some clean fresh air. Of course back then we probably had "clean" air...

It does seem weird that with all the freezing cold temps. we have had, plus the ABUNDANCE of snow, that there seems to be more illnesses.

Glad I came upon this thread as it is very interesting...JJ....

Old 03-03-2011, 04:18 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I read a statement recently that said that some germs now are not destroyed by either heat or cold. So that may mean if a MRSA germ is on a peice of meat, eggs or milk it might not be destroyed by cooking, canning or the freezer.

Closed Thread