It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
(female)

jmw63 HB Userjmw63 HB User
Helpful hint for MRSA skin infections

I have had recurrent MRSA cellulitis on my skin. The first one was on my chin and I spent 5 days in the hospital. On the 4th day of IV antibiotics, the swelling and redness went from my left eye all the way down my throat and the doctor came in and said that if there was no improvement by the next day, they would have to take me to surgery to debride the area. She wanted to try 1 more thing....Magnesium Sulfate soaks.....also know as epsom salts. The nurse mixed up warm water and epsom salt until it dissolved and I used a gauze pad to soak the area repeatedly. It was amazing! Within a couple of hours, the wound had started draining and it appeared to 'draw' the core out. By the next day, I was discharged. I am not able to do this with every infection because some are on my eyelids......go figure.......but this really works if the problem is in a location that you can use this.
I just wanted to share this in case it might help someone else.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: jmw63
JJ (03-03-2011), sjb (03-01-2011)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmw63 For This Useful Post:
EagleRiverDee (03-08-2011), JJ (03-03-2011), sjb (03-01-2011), slenderella (03-22-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
(female)

mcullin HB User
Re: Helpful hint for MRSA skin infections

Thank you for this information. I had heard others suggestion soaking in Epson Salts but have not tried it. The infected sores I have are pretty much in areas that would be easy to do a soak on. The only other "soak" type suggestion I have gotten is to soak in the chlorhexidine gluconate daily for 15 minutes. It helped me some. I'm new here and have already read some really helpful stuff. Thanks again

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi has the blood magnesium level or hair level been checked with testing?

Old 03-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
(female)

I am a little perplexed. Does your magnesium level have something to do with the MRSA? I don't believe they have checked that but they did do a culture and sensitivity to determine that it was MRSA. I do the typical oral Doxycycline, Mupiricin ointment in my nose, warm compresses and Hibiclens showers. I have only had it once on my chin and all the other times have been in the same exact spot on either my left or right eyelid. I tend to think that it is not really being killed off completely since it always recurs in the same locations. I was really pretty freaked out when I was first diagnosed because, being a healthcare worker, I have seen first hand what this infection can do. I have done a fair amount of research and now realize how common this is. However, I would love to find a way to get rid of it for good!

Old 03-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi well I know someone else who got MRSA and the hair magnesium level was said to be low, not sure about the blood level but sometimes that might pull from bone if needed probably so that might not be all that accurate.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
(female)

Wow! I see you are from Memphis! From what my doctor told me last week, the amount of MRSA in Memphis is higher than the average.....not sure why. This can be a tricky little bug to deal with. I have found that usually the day before it starts, I will not feel good. Along with the skin involvement, it makes me feel bad all over. The biggest thing I have learned is to go to the doctor immediately! Do not delay! The sooner you can get started with treatment, the better. This last round, I woke up with it on a Thursday morning, went to the doctor Friday morning and started treatment that morning. I went back to the doctor Monday and we both agreed that if I had not started treatment Friday, I would have been in the hospital by Monday. Anyway, I just wanted to share what little I have learned. Good Luck...I know it can be hard.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmw63 For This Useful Post:
mcullin (03-01-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Wow jmw you sure do have a problem with it. I never even heard of it being taken care of with soaks.

My husband went to the hospital 4 years ago with a very bad case of the flu and after 5 days was diagnosed with MRSA. At that point I'll be honest, I never heard of it. Poor guy was a mess between the flu and the MRSA and wound up there for 3 weeks. He was taking 2 oral meds and one IV antibiotic plus he had to inhale some kind of steroid every few hrs. with one of those oxygen masks. They didn't think he was going to make it!...

Glad you caught it in time and know what to do. Thanks for the info. as it is definately news to me. Got to love this board.

Feel better...JJ....

Old 03-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
(female)

mcullin HB User

I am from Memphis! Thanks for your information. I have tried the soaks with Epsom salt and it has been helping. I don't seem to have "new" sores, just ones that keep reinfecting. I learned the hard way about going to the doctor as soon as possible. I didn't have a diagnosis for the longest time so I wasn't really sure who I was going to contact...primary care, dermatologist at the time I didn't have an infectious Disease doc.
That taught me to let someone know as soon as I am aware of a flare up. I do have alot of muscle and nerve pain which I was surprised to find out that was a symptom. Someone brought up in a post about magnesium levels. I do know that you have to get a specific blood test to have it measured and the articles I've read say low levels of magnesium are pick up with the test on individuals with MRSA/MSSA, therefore a supplement as been suggested. I'm still trying to regain my strength ofter this last bout. If you have any suggests on diets that will strengthen my immune system, I'd love to hear them. Thanks hope your day is a good one

Old 03-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I am not sure a supplement of magnesium would be truly healthful. Magnesium as a supplement can cause diarrhea and abdominal pain. In fact the have something called Milk of Magnesia for making a person go if there is constipation. The person would be better off in most cases by eating right, exercising right and drinking plenty of water to avoid constipation in the first place. Magnesium in the stomach would neutralize its acid and make a lot more work for the stomach to replace the acid wearing out the stomach in the process. The acid is actually needed to break down the food properly so that it can be absorbed to do the person good. I must say that more magnesium in the food may be more helpful in the long run with foods that have a higher magnesium content.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Have you tried decolonising your self of staph?

The method is to use Hibiclens instead of soap in the shower every day for 2 weeks, and smear neosporin ointment into the nostrils every day for 2 weeks. After the 2 weeks is up, start using a medicated soap (such as Safeguard) in the shower every day for a few more weeks to complete the process

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
(female)

Yep! I have done that process a few times. It always gets rid of it temporarily, at least. I had cultures done today of my nose and mouth/throat while I am in a 'well' state. Hopefully, they will be clear because I am waiting to reschedule a total knee revision. I am a little doubtful but am hoping for the best, since my last recurrence was a week before the surgery was scheduled the first time. Nothing like scheduling your whole life around a major surgery only to cancel it at the last minute. Anyway, if I am not clear, I will be asking for an infectious diseases consult because I have been fighting this on and off for about 5 years, with 8-10 flareups and am getting really tired of it.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

If you're going to have surgery, i would definatly do the decontamination thing for 2 weeks before you have the operation.

Also, taking zinc (50mg/day) and vitamin c (500mg/day) can realy speed up your healing after surgery.

If you have an ongoing problem, it might be worth starting to use Safeguard soap in the shower every day instead of your normal soap/clenser, to keep the number of staph on your skin as low as possible.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by jonnstar; 03-22-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
(male)

Iscurepossible HB User

What did your mrsa look like?

Closed Thread