It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
(female)

elaina08 HB User
Help with staph infection

I am just looking for advice.

I recently suffered through a 2 month long bladder infection that wouldn't go away even with 2 rounds of antibiotics. It was the staphylococcus bacteria causing it as I had my urine cultured. I started drinking ACV and taking garlic pills, probiotics, and uva-ursi. It seemed the uti went away because I had no pain in my stomach or back and my urinating went back to normal ie. no urgency. I also wasn't able to sleep the whole time I had the uti and I started sleeping again.

Last week I began not being able to sleep. I started guzzling the ACV again but I still couldn't sleep. This morning i woke up with a painful, big boil on the inside of my thigh. The same place I had it about 3 years ago.

Is this related? Aren't boils also caused my the staph bacteria? My doctor will put me on more antibiotics that do nothing except upset my stomach.

I feel so defeated.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Help with staph infection

What antibiotics were you on? If it is a staph infection like MRSA, many antibiotics, especially the "cillin ones" won't take care of your problem, and yes, a staph can cause boils. Usually a much stronger antibiotic has to be used, like the "mycyn" ones. Sometimes they need to drain the boil, as a friend of mine had one on his arm and had it drained 3 times..plus antibiotics before it healed. It needs to be tested to see if it is actually staph. Any skin staph is called..Staph Cellulitis.

Feel beter, and best wishes...JJ...

Last edited by JJ; 03-19-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
(female)

elaina08 HB User

Thank you so so much for replying! I am pretty sure the antibiotics both ended in cillan. I know amoxicillin was one. Oh and Macrobid (sp?). I guess I will go back to the doctor for the antibiotics then.

Thanks again!

Old 03-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Yes if it is a staph Amoxicillian won't touch it. My husband went to the hosptial 4 years ago with a horrid case of the flu so was admitted. While there he contracted MRSA. They had him on Prednisone, 2 oral antibiotics, one was Vancomycin which is suppose to be pretty strong.

If it is definately staph, go back to the Dr. as it is nothing to mess with. Yes you can be treated, but it needs to be aggresive treatment.

Keep us posted and best wishes...JJ...

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
elaina08 (03-20-2011)
Old 03-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

You need to get rid of the staph bacteria that are living on your skin.

Try using Hibiclens instead of soap in the shower every day for 2 weeks (tip a little into your hands, latehr it up, and apply to your ano-genital region and your armpits, then apply some to a shower puff and lather it up all over your body. Leave it on for 60 seconds, then rinse off) Don this every day for 14 days. Dont get any soap on your body, it stops the Hibiclens from working.

Staph also live inside the nose, so using a cottonbud, smear some neosporin ointment around inside your nose, going as deep as you can, then squash the nostrils together with your fingers to make sure its totaly covered everywhere. Do this twice a day for 2 weeks.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
(female)

elaina08 HB User

I will go find that body wash today thank-you. But doesn't a boil mean the bacteria is inside the skin now? I didn't have a cut where the boil sprouted so I don't know what happened.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

If the boil is still there I would see a Dr. as it may need to be drained plus you may need another antibiotic to completely get rid of the infection.

Good luck..JJ..

Old 03-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
(female)

elaina08 HB User

Update: I went to the doc today for the results of my urine culture. Negative. Nothing in my urine. Yet I have horrible back pain and lower abdominal pain exactly like a uti. He says the back pain is probably from my job-it's not. I know what I feel and I know something is very wrong.
I get these quick, stabbing pains in my lower stomach as well which would have nothing to do with job-related back strain.

I showed him the boil and asked about MRSA. He said it's unlikely and that since the boil isn't oozing or growing it shouldn't be a concern.

It also turned out my last uti last month, wasn't Staph, it was Strep B. Why would I still have uti symptoms but no bacteria?

Once again I am left to diagnose and treat myself without knowing anything~doctors let me down every time.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi has the husband been treated also? Boils can be from staph. If it is close to the anus it may be the beginning of a fistula. Boils are also said to be more common with too much sulfur. Are any citrus foods used or potatoes or sweet peppers? Have tea tree oil losenges been tried?

Last edited by sjb; 03-21-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: change for clarity

Old 03-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
(female)

elaina08 HB User

Citrus?? Really? I eat a big orange every morning for breakfast ... hmm ..

No he hasn't. But he doesn't get anything ever. He's healthy and didn't even know what a boil or staph infection was before I told him.

I've been using a mixture of ACV and turmeric and making a paste and putting it on the boil. It is on my inner thigh. I will have to go get Tea Tree oil, thank-you!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi yes bacteria plus dead white blood cells from what I have read and maybe also serous fluid.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
(female)

elaina08 HB User

Quote:
Hi yes bacteria plus dead white blood cells from what I have read and maybe also serous fluid.
I'm sorry but what do you mean ? Are you referring to a boil?

Old 03-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I would use the tea trea oil losenges not necesarily the oil on the outside. Also the turmeric may be useful on the inside eaten not necessarily on the outside since if there are bacteria there is a potential for spread. Grapefruits, limes and lemons may be useful eaten as well as the other things I mentioned above since they contain natural forms of anti-inflammatories. I am not sure I would use anything on the outside at all unless the doctor says so. A naturopath herbalist might be useful.

Last edited by sjb; 03-21-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: grammar

Old 03-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Hi yes a boil is filled with white blood cells, serous fluid and bacteria from my understanding.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

The boil needs to run its course, that is, the infection needs to consolidate into a "focus", come to a head, and burst.

Antibiotics can actualy slow down this process, hot, moist compresses can help speed it up.

Rubbing anything onto the skin wont speed resolution of the boil, as it cant penetrate to where the infection is, using the Hibiclens or any other germicide is to prevent any more boils etc from sprouting.

It is possible to have UTI symptoms without infection, from simple inflamation (rather like hayfever allergy can give you the symptoms of a cold without you having an infection)

Taking Azo and drinking planty of fluids to keep the urine nice and dilute can help. If it persists, back to the doctor with you.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Closed Thread