It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
(female)

Miss Lissa HB User
gastroenteritis or something else?

I am looking for a little information, although I am taking her to the doctor for something unrelated next week.
Wednesday March 8th, me and my 7 year old daughter both woke up with the stomach bug, violent throwing up and diarrhea for a few hours then all better, just with that bad taste in your mouth and a massive head ache for a couple days after wards. It went around my whole family so I am pretty sure it was gastroenteritis. I kept her home Wednesday Thursday and Friday. She went back to school on the 13th and had perfectly normal stools and was healthy and active for the whole week. Then, out of the blue the evening of March 19th, she threw up her dinner but was fine afterwards and the next few days. This morning out of the blue she threw up and has been throwing up all day and having completely watery diahrrea. It is the kind of thing where she can't figure out which to do sit on the toilet and throw up in the floor or vice versa, poor thing. I myself nor anyone in my family have been sick beyond that first week so I am trying to figure out how only she is getting sick. Any advice or helpful info is appreciated. She has a fairly healthy diet and we limit the amount of junk she eats to one small treat per day, like desert. We haven't changed our eating behaviors at all and she never has been like this before. With the first bug, I ran a slight temperature (100.4 at the highest) but she never did and has not run a temperature with any of these upsets.

Last edited by Miss Lissa; 03-23-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: gastroenteritis or something else?

Is there any way you can have her see a Dr. before next week? With her throwing up that much, plus the Diarrhea her Electrolytes maybe totally out of wack. I agree it is some what strange that it keeps happening for no apparant reason unless there is something she is eating that really doesn't agree with her. Many folks can eat the same thing for years and then out of nowhere become allergic to it.

For now obviously keep her well hydrated with water, juices, gingerale etc. to get some balance back in her. If she keeps it up, I would try and seek medical attention ASAP. Hope she is feeling better very soon.

Good luck...JJ...

Old 03-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
(female)

Miss Lissa HB User
Re: gastroenteritis or something else?

She has been drinking fluids all day and had a light dinner and nothing has come up since around 1pm, and her last diarrhea was around 4pm, and it is 9pm and I put her to bed. I don't think she is in any danger at the moment of being dehydrated but I am still understandably concerned. I might take her in as a walk in on Friday, just for some peace of mind.

Closed Thread