It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
(female)

worrywart84 HB User
Over reacting?

Last Monday i went for my normal pedicure at my very clean spa. They use clean sterilized tools from plastic wrap and also disinfect the pedicure chair tubs.

My technician tugged at a cuticle on my big toe and kind of pulled it off a little bit, then cut it. There was no blood, but it kind of hurt a little bit.

The next day my big toe was a little swollen, red, and throbbing. I put some neosporin on it, cleaned it with peroxide, and went on my way.

I also went to get some epsom salt and soaked my foot.

After a day, the redness and swelling went away.

As of now, 6 days later, my toe is back to normal, i am still soaking it daily, putting neosporin on it and cleaning it with antiseptic spray just to be safe.

I suffer from extreme anxiety and cannot stop googling stuff about infections. I have somehow convinced myself that even though my toe has healed that somehow I could still have an infection and what if it gets in my blood stream?

Am I being completely irrational? I am having panic attacks because of this dang toe and I cannot stop thinking "what if i still have an infection and i don't know it", "what if it got in my blood stream and it's spreading".

I will even convince myself that my leg is cramping and think to myself "oh my goodness, it's the infection moving up my leg!"

Someone bring me back to reality, please. Am I overreacting?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
(male)

Psilocelium HB User
Re: Over reacting?

I would say that if you see no swelling or redness and there is no pain, you are %100 FINE.

Trust me, I just recovered from a MRSA infection and if you have any infection spreading it is PAINFUL like you wouldnt believe.

If that toe was spreading, you would have a gigantic swollen foot and nasty red streaks going up your leg. To have it in your bloodstream is a different story entirely.

You are surely not the kind of person that would just let an infection keep spreading like that so there almost no way you could overlook details like that.

I am somewhat phobic like you too so I know how it is to think that way. Be at peace; you are perfectly fine. On a side note, you may want to lay off the peroxide and antibacterials, those could inflame your toe when it was already healed. Our bodies are strong and if you have the right nutrition, they will have no problems on their own.

Hope this helps you

Closed Thread