It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
(female)

China girl HB User
China Girl

Hi,
I am a 35 yr old female. I have a normal BMI and until recently have had a relatively active life consisting of traveling, hiking/climbing, swimming and so on.
I went to morocco last year and while i was there i noticed that the outer aspect of my left thigh was numb. I also began to notice what i describe as a floater in my right eye which feels/looks like a squiggle across my eye but minimally effects my vision. I began to get stabbing jolts of pain in my left leg which then progressed to both legs. I am experiencing episodes of incessant itching but with out any rash and usually just lasts for an hour every day or two. I have abnormal sleep disturbance and cant' seem to follow into normal patterns of sleep. When falling asleep I get a shrieking, explosive feeling in my head and sometimes wake up in a state of sleep paralysis with tingling all over my body. This only happens when i am in a semi sleep state while trying to get to sleep.
The most unpleasant symptom i am experiencing at present is joint pain throughout that radiates into boney pain up through my limbs. I don't experience this every day but it is becoming more and more frequent. At first it felt like what i believe the flu must feel like (I have never had it). I have a number of days where i have felt like i'm having a viral shower of some sort and that is when the pain is worse. I go to bed for those days (there have only been 3) and it usually resolves within 24 hours. I never have taken to bed when I've been ill before but it really knocks me when it occurs where i feel nauseas and loose my appetite. I'm also less dextrous ,more so in my left than right hand (i'm right handed) and my hands and fingers cramp up where sometimes i can't hold my fork properly when eating. I also feel these symptoms in my feet and toes.
I went to my GP who referred me onto a neurologist and there main concern was MS. I have been through a series of tests since September last year (health service very slow moving in Ireland) and I'm still non the wiser.
I have had an MRI of brain, neck and spine. I had nerve conduction studies which explained the numbness in my thigh as parasthesia. I have a series of bloods: FBC, U&E, LFT, ESR, CRP, iron studies, TFTs, Syphilus, immunology, rheumatology and lymes disease. My MRI showed a couple of spots of white foci but the neuro expained that he would expect to see this in a woman of my age and bloods all came back normal.
I have travelled in many places and so they are going to refer me onto an Infectious disease consultant.
I have a past history of IBS, eosinophilic oesophagitis which on occasion has been treated with oral prednisolone and a topical steroid inhaler. My last use of steroids was about a year ago and it was just for 5 days.
I smoke occasionally when i am out socially. I would have drank more alcohol when I was in my twenties but i average a bottle of wine throughout the week with meals etc. I have experienced many fun things while traveling and have on occasion used recreational drugs but by no means ever formed any kind of habit. Perhaps once a year i may have had ecstacy at a music festival or i have tried cocaine on rare occasions too. I have also smoked marijauna a handful of times and by that i mean i have taken a puff from a joint but never anymore than that. There are the only substances i have tried. I've never had hallucinagenics. (sorry, I'm probably being too honest here).
I'm 5ft 2 and 50kgs and have never been over weight. I have had a relatively active life and feel i have a good underlying fitness despite being unable to do much exercise at the moment.
I'm trying to give you as clear a picture as possible. As mentioned before I first presented to my GP in September last year and only got the all clear for MS in February. I would like some advice on where to go from here with ID consultant. What kind of questions i need to ask etc. I really don't want to be just waiting and waiting. When i went to my last neuro consult I expressed to the dr. that there were 2 things i didn't wan to hear from him. Obviously MS was the main one but i also didn't want him to say that we don't know. I guess if these symptoms were something of a more malignant or sinister cause then it would have raised it's ugly head by now so i take a bit of comfort in that. I just feel like everything has stopped and I'm sitting around waiting when i could be looking into other psooibilites. Can you give me any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread