It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User
Cellulitis Symptoms

My husband was just diagnosed with cellulitis! The doctor prescribed antibiotics 3x daily. How long could he expect for the symptoms to decrease?

At first he thought he had some bug bites. Then I assumed it was a rash and had him apply cortizone. His leg began turning red and swelling. The redness has spread and his knee is stiff. If you look at his legs next to each other, the ne with cellulitis is noticable larger than the other.

Will it take long for antibiotics to take effect?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User
Re: Cellulitis Symptoms

Well, if anybody's curious abut cellulitis, my husband took antibiotics 3x a day for two days and his cellultis got worse! It spread both up and down, and his leg was so stiff and swollen he cold hardly walk. He went back to the doctor and she gave him a shot. He actually has to go back and get shots 3 days in a row. After that point the doctor will evaluate his condition again. She did draw dots around the redness so she could gauge if it spreads or decreases. She said to spread up and down was very unusual, it usually just moves up. If his condition does not improve, or he has any pain, she said to go to hospital where he would probably be admitted for 2-3 days. This is serious stuff!

Last edited by MariaBB; 08-12-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

And.. (in case anybody is curious about cellulitis)...my husband was admitted to the hospital yesterday! The cellulitis has gotten into his blood and his other leg. He has an infection in both legs and an infection in his blood. The hospital is dosing him with an IV containing two extra strength anti-biotics. They also did a chest xray and MRI to rule out congestive heart trouble. This cellulitis is nasty stuff!

Old 08-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
(female)

LoveLadyHeart HB User

Maria,
Having had cellulitis in my chest I sympathize with your hubby. Cellulitis is hard to get rid of mine happene very quickly and I ended up having to have surgery for mine. Someone told me once you have it you are more prone to it and the surgeon I saw tuesday told me the infection can hide inside your body I have had it at least 5 times in the ast 4 years. the hospital is the best place he could be. I wish you both luck and I hope he feels better soon

Closed Thread