It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
(female)

Hoppy2006 HB User
Night sweats and low body temperature after illness?

I got sick 2 1/2 weeks ago with what was probably a virus. It consisted mainly of fevers for nearly a week, and a cough, both of which are now gone. (I did get antibiotics for the cough.) However, I've had also night sweats nearly every night since this started. At first I thought it was because of the fever, and then after the fever was gone I decided it was probably a reaction to the antibiotic, but now I've been done with the antibiotic for 2 days and the night sweats continue. Last night I slept with the window cracked open (50 degrees F. outside,) a ceiling fan, a sheet, and a light nightshirt, and still woke up wet and sweaty, for the 17th night in a row. To make this all even weirder, my temperature has been BELOW normal ever since the fevers broke!

I think it's probably just my body still adjusting back to normal after the virus and meds, but I've never experienced it before, and don't know anyone else who has. Mainly it's just annoying, but when I think about the other things that can cause night sweats it's a little alarming too. I don't want to overreact … how long do I let this go on before consulting a doctor?

Last edited by Hoppy2006; 08-16-2011 at 06:04 AM.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:51 AM   #2
(male)

reallyjohn HB User
Re: Night sweats and low body temperature after illness?

Hi Hoppy,
Those night sweats are caused by the lingering virus. Sweating is one of the ways that the immune system suppresses viruses , which are very sensitive to temperature variation.
As you go to sleep , your bodys system will shut down , and this is the time that viruses go into overdrive and replicate themselves. Night sweating is your immune systems reaction to the strengthening viruses.
The way to remove viruses from your body is to excrete them out. I would dramatically increase high residue foods that do this like wholemeal bread, and laxative foods like ground flaxseed and prunes. Two bowel movements daily will break the virus replication cycle.
Another food that weakens viruses is hot chillis-the hotter the better- to be taken when u awaken during the night.
I would also stop eating constipatative foods like dairy that jam u system.
I wouldnt try to cool your temperature during the night-let your immune system do its job in weakening the virus.
I would even go in the opposite direction by having a sauna in the evening. This will have a suppressive effect on the virus. Raise your fluid intake when you do this.
Doctors arent much help when it comes to viruses.
I would take this seriously because this is how many people get Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread