It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
(female)

AgedFlowerChild HB UserAgedFlowerChild HB User
Question Staph infection found inside of a breast cyst???? How???

IN march of this year I woke to find my right breast quite swollen with an obvious lump in it that had grown so fast that it bruised. I have cysts in my breasts all the time (cant remember what they call it but it is harmless), do regular mammograms (last one was in august of prior year). So I call my dr, he looks at it and sends me to radiology where I am met by a surgeon who drains the cyst with the help of the radioligist.
I was told at the time that the cyst would grow back (didn't) and that it needed to be surgically removed (didn't need to cause it didn't grow back)
anyway....'
The fluid that was drained from the cyst was GREEN and when sent to lab came back as positive for staph.'

My questions is this. How did I get staph inside of a cyst inside my breast. Mind you, I havent nursed a baby for some 30 years.

I have searched the internet repeatedly for some other occurance like this to no avail.
I was not given antibiotics and told not to worry about this but I just can't get it out of my head... Any ideas????

Old 08-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Staph infection found inside of a breast cyst???? How???

Honestly, sometimes people just get infections in/under the skin that form cysts. Staph is out there, it's on your skin, it's in your nose, it's everywhere. Most of the time, your body's natural defenses keep it under control, once in a while something gets through.

It's been several months and hasn't returned, so I don't think you need to worry. You did exactly the right thing getting it drained ASAP.

Of course, if you get any other bruise-looking lumps, get those looked at soon too.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
AgedFlowerChild (08-26-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
(female)

AgedFlowerChild HB UserAgedFlowerChild HB User

Hello, Thank you for answering. I guess my worry is that a month later I started having the symptoms that are now pointin towards lupus. so I am feeling a little anxious and wondering where or if this fits in the puzzle. Thanks so much

Old 09-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
(female)

LoveLadyHeart HB User

flower,
I understand exactly how you feel. I had a green infection in my breast and I did end up having surgery because mine was staph and was cellulitis. Mine then came back again in the form of a boil under my arm and was told it was MRSA another form of staph. Mine tends to settle in my breasts. I just recently took 2 rounds of antibiotics to again clear up staph in my chest. I was sent to a surgeon and I was told that staph can hide in your body in some people it reoccurs and others may just have one bout. Everyone has staph on their skin just some people tend to have probs with it thru open wounds or some people it is stored in their nose. My Drs suggestion to keep it down was once a week to take a bath and put 1/4 cup of bleach in the bath water to help keep down the bacteria on the skin. I am also prone to it because I am diabetic. Some people a round of antibiotics doesnt always kill it enough and it comes back. I was told there was no way to test to see if it is gone or anything like that. I was also told it is contagious so don't share razors,towels,washcloths when you have it. I hope this help answer some questions and I wish you luck and hope it does not return.

Closed Thread