It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
(female)

Kirii HB User
Infected Finger and Red Streaks

i don't know for sure what this is, but it hurts! My thumb got infected over a week ago and is still red and hot. Now my pointer finger is infected. It started to swell yesterday and this morning i saw a red streak from infection down to base of finger. 3pm i see the red streak on my hand. Now i can trace a faint red streak up my arm. Very fast moving. Going to urgent care in 3 hours. No car and my family told me that I live on my own so now I gotta deal with it.

I'm worried Cellulitis is what i'm thinking i had it on my leg once at 9 months pregnant with my DS. Red streaks started and i was admitted to hospital. What I did wrong this time was chewing on nails and i hit a cuticle 2 days ago. Big mistake, fair warning do not bite fingernails. Any idea on what it could be? I read about blood poisining which they also thought i had before, but not sure if red streaks mean that or if it's just later on. I feel really weak and my hand aches bad.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Infected Finger and Red Streaks

I hope by the time you read this you will already have seen the doctor, but if not, you must get treated today. An infection with red streaks can become very serious in a hurry.

I hope you have antibiotics. Take them exactly as prescribed, and follow all instructions about soaking or bandaging your hand.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
(female)

Kirii HB User

Just got back and got a antibiotic shot and a strong prescription of kflex. Said if it gets worse in 24 hours to come back. Was 2 days away from an IV. It hurts so bad and the streaks are very painful to the touch. Hope it gets to feeling better tomorrow. Also low grade fever.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Good. Keep an eye on it, watch to make sure that the streaks are retreating, not getting longer.

Keeping it elevated may reduce the pain.

Closed Thread