It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

suggi HB User
need help with staph infection in nose

I would appreciate any feedback as I have been plagued with a nasal staph infection - symptoms sores in nose even blocking breathing, yellow discharge, all of inside of nose sore. Have been on Bacitracin - did not work but some major scabs were cleared up but left all of nose inside red according to the doc, tried Bactroban for 1 day (3x) and burned so bad, even where it ran down the back of my throat burned and even down into the esophagus (actually felt sick).. Stopped that and on 250 Keflex 4x/day and not seeing any improvement. Still large scabs in nostrils and I tried Simply Saline nasal gel to moisten in my nostrils as I am so dry in my nose and mouth and that actually burned my nostrils and right under my nose in back of my throat.

Before I knew what I had I had been using saline nasal spray and it did not burn. It was only since I used the Bacitracin the saline spray burned. Did not try it again but I thought now the gel has aloe in it but it still burns. I did have a culture done and it is not MRSA - it is staph.

I have been to the PCP, ENT, allergist -- I am allergic to most antibiotics and as I use them I become allergic so I can't keep using Keflex or I will have nothing for my teeth...I have a mitral valve prolapse and need Keflex for dental work, cleanings, etc. Can only take that family and Leviquin family which has nothing for skin or teeth.

I really need advice. Please help - can I just leave this or will it spread to my brain. Thank you for any help.

Last edited by suggi; 05-14-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
(female)

stasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB User
Re: need help with staph infection in nose

Sorry to hear of your condition, hon, and that you are allergic to antibiotics. I don't know but do you think trying something more natural might offer possible relief ? Stuff like tea tree oil may help staph. Feel better soon. Lastly I don't think you should ignore a staph infection.

Last edited by stasis4; 06-02-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

suggi HB User

Statis4

Thanks for your reply. I did try tree tea oil once on a cut on my arm but it burned pretty bad. I did wash it off but just a tad bit afraid if I put it in my nose and it burns esp. since I am already very sore - how could I get it out.

What about medihoney? Just read about it on the net. That would probably burn also but I don't think as bad. Supposed to kill staph also and even MRSA.

Guess I'm desperate now.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
(female)

stasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB User

sorry that the tea tree oil burned you. I guess you could try medihoney too (but cautiously) by trying on a small amount to a smaller area first. Good luck!

Last edited by stasis4; 06-02-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

suggi HB User

I think the reason the tea tree oil burned is because I have eczema and my skin is very sensitive -- and my nose is raw inside so that's why I am a little leery. However, the same thing could happen with the medihoney....but I think I will give it a shot....like you said a small area and maybe just in one nostril to start.

Thanks again.

Closed Thread

Tags
staph infection in nose