It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
(female)

nelsonhallgal HB User
viral meningitis, anyone got any advice?

Hi,
I have been sick with viral meningitis since Sunday a week ago. (about 10 days). I was already in the hospital for an unrelated issue, and suddenly started to spike some major fever, headaches from hell, nausea and that headache was bad enough to make you wanna cut your head off. I am home now, and they put me on a drug called Nucynta, and norco for breakthrough pain. Nothing is touching this pain. I have zero appetite, can only eat cold stuff like watermelon, yogurt, etc. After my spinal puncture confirmed what I had, they said pain control was all they could do. IV dilaudid in the hospital worked somewhat, but een that didn't push it all the way down. HOW LONG DOES this disease hang on? My doc said I could have this horrendous headache for about 3 weeks or more,and that I wouldn't feel like myself for maybe 6 weeks. Today, it seems like I can't hear correctly out of my left ear. I can honestly say that I have never felt so sick in my whole life. If anyone has any "survival techniques" I sure would appreciate hearing them. Thanks so much. p.s. I could be dead by now if it had been bacterial.. my symptoms started the first Sunday I was in the hospital, and they didn't do the lumbar puncture til Thursday! My bloodwork had been PERFECt. That was their excuse. My spinal fluid was full of protein, white blood cells, and the opening pressure was 36. Normal is no higher than 24. The radiologist actuallly drew off some fluid to relieve the pressure on my sickly little brain. BEWARE if you get symptoms like this.. and your bloodwork is ok. Hey, I hate LPs...I've had 3 in my life, but I was begging for it just so they could see what I had suspected all along.

Last edited by nelsonhallgal; 08-08-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: wording wrong

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
(female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User
Re: viral meningitis, anyone got any advice?

I hope you are feeling better by now! I don't have any advice really - take this time for yourself, meningitis is very serious and not enjoyable no matter what the cause is. Let us know how you are doing and if you found anything to help out. The headache is from the inflammation so it makes sense that the headache may stick around after your body has cleared the virus.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

smiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB Usersmiteler HB User
Re: viral meningitis, anyone got any advice?

i'm really sorry to hear about what you are going thru.
i had it and it was not very pretty.
the best advice i can give you is hang in there,be tough and
it will eventually pass.
when i got it,i was in and out of a hospital twice with no diagnosis
in about 10 days time.
by the time i got to the 2nd hospital
i was probably a few hrs away from death as i had to be carried to
and from the car.
i was too weak to even walk,when they took my spinal tap
it took 8 attempts by 3 different doctors before they had success.
2 doctors turned green and ran for help..lol
that was as painful as the headaches were
it took me 2 months before i made it back to work.
i feel bad for you
it is a pain only someone who has experianced it
would know how bad and intense it is.
i also was diagnosed with hiv at the same time
so my mind got beat up as bad as my body was.

keep your head up and be strong.
it will be over soon for you.
best of luck
i hope you feel back to your normal self soon!

Closed Thread