HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Infectious Diseases (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/infectious-diseases/)
-   -   Complications from previous Histoplasmosis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/infectious-diseases/945424-complications-previous-histoplasmosis.html)

hdcue21 04-05-2013 08:30 PM

Complications from previous Histoplasmosis

hdcue21 HB User

Complications from previous Histoplasmosis
Hello!
I am new to this site and came here because of some health issues I've been having and my doctors are unable to figure out what's going on....very frustrating to say the least seeing as I'm not feeling well.
To begin, I was diagnosed with Pulmonary Histoplasmosis in the fall of 2010, I was referred to an ID doctor who put me on Itraconazole...I was eventually referred to another ID doctor b/c I still wasn't feeling well(symptoms included a cough, chest pain right side, lethargy, wheezing), come to find out the opening of my right middle lobe was completely blocked off from fighting the infection and this was found through a Bronchoscopy(the lung was cleaned out during the procedure), no wonder why I was having all that pain. After that I felt great, no symptoms, no more coughing or wheezing!
About 2 months later I woke up one day and I felt terrible it was like all of my previous symptoms but on overload..I started having facial pain, headaches, wheezing, chest pain on the right side, and by the end of each day I was exhausted(this was in the fall of 2011). I went back to my ID doctor after all these symptoms started and was thought to have Pneumonia and put on antibiotics--didn't help at all, and the symptoms continued. I had a chest xray and a CT scan all of which showed everything to be normal. I went on to see a couple different Pulmonologists, an ENT, and an Allergy and Immunology doctor--I had some blood work done and everything continued to come back normal yet I'm still not feeling well. Some days I feel ok, others are a struggle where it's difficult to just get out of bed in the morning because I have so much pain in my face and in my chest...almost feels like everything is extremely inflamed. I've been feeling like this for almost 2 years now and sometimes I wonder if I'll ever get a diagnosis, it's frustrating to go from doctor to doctor and have them tell you they don't know what's going on. Does anyone know of any complications caused by Histoplasmosis? Or has anyone ever had complications post-Histo? Any and all answers would be appreciated, thanks.

Thunderchicken 07-28-2013 09:03 PM

Re: Complications from previous Histoplasmosis

Hey,
I was diagnosed with pulmonary histo in Oct. of 2012. Everything has been rather weird since then. They put me on Diflucan and told me I got lucky they caught it when they did (after thinking I had cancer). Apparently my immune system kept it in check in my lungs and I have a big calcification now because of it(which I can feel directly below my sternum).
The Diflucan completely beat the crap out of me and some nights I truly didn't believe I would wake up the next morning. I had to take it for 3 months and then my blood came back as inactive histo. SINCE then my body has been suffering from daily fatigue, constant muscle soreness, constant photophobia, nausea, breathing problems, and pain in the top of both feet/ankles/and up my legs into my sciatic nerve. I also have pain in my wrist/neck/shoulders and chest.
I've had an MRI of the brain/lower spine/mid spine and am going for the neck next month. I've also had an EKG on my left arm and was told I have cubital tunnel syndrome. And I'm also being sent for EKG on both of my legs soon too.
Doctors don't know why I'm having problems or what's causing it. Scheduling an appointment with an infectious disease doctor tomorrow too.