It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2004, 01:10 PM   #1
Inactive

lisajojo HB User
Question on IUI

I just had my first IUI on Saturday morning. I took my trigger shot Thursday evening. On Friday I started feeling crampy like I was going to start. When I went in on Saturday, I told me RE and he said that is normal to feel that. I still feel a slightly crampy feeling. Is that normal to be feeling that way for 5 days now? I don't even have this many cramps from AF! Any info would be great!!

Old 02-10-2004, 02:50 PM   #2
Inactive

stillwtg HB User
Re: Question on IUI

Sorry I don't have any info. on your situation but I go on Thurs. for an ultrasound before starting my first IUI...what can you fill me in on what to expect for this whole experience? At least what you experienced. I'm cautiously optimistic after 4 years of ttc that this will be a positive step forward but am of course scared of the unknown! I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you will be feeling better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2004, 05:58 AM   #3

Lilliputian HB User

Hi ladies -- best of luck on your IUIs! I've had 3 (paired with clomid). No luck yet, but we'll be doing more, this time paired with Follistim hormone shots. I hope yours are successful right out of the gate!

LisaJojo, I really don't have any answers to your question, but I was a little crampy myself (before and after) for my IUIs. Before fertility treatments, I always had such a good understanding and knowledge of my body, but as I started taking hormones and getting probed and poked, I lost a little bit of that control and understanding. Now sometimes I just shrug my shoulders when I'm feeling odd and chalk it up to the hormones. I know this probably doesn't relieve your concerns at all.... Can you call your RE?

Baby dust!

Old 02-11-2004, 07:35 AM   #4
Inactive

lisajojo HB User

Hi stillwtg - congrats on starting your IUI - this is my first so I don't know how much I will be able to help but I will definitly do my best! For the most part things have been good. I feel moody and bloated from the injectibles (are you doing injectibles or clomid). After a few times it didn't bother me to give myself the shots, the needle is so small you don't feel it except the medicine going in burns a little. The first round of the IUI didn't happen for me, I took all the meds and then my RE said it wasn't going to happen that time (he said very rare). I was really devasted that we didn't even get the chance but then I started AF on CD17 (because of the meds it made me start sooner) and started up again and had my first IUI on Feb. 7. The procedure itself lasted 30 seconds. My husband had to give his donation and then an hour wait for the wash and 30 seconds for the IUI. I laid there for about 10 minutes and that was it!! Now I am just waiting...that is the hardest part. I really don't think I am pregnant. I feel like AF could get here at any moment. My RE said that I could start AF earlier if it turns out that I am not pregnant. Hope this helped you some!! Good luck to you and keep in touch and let me know what is happening with you!

Old 02-11-2004, 07:42 AM   #5
Inactive

lisajojo HB User

Hi Lilli - I know exactly what you mean. I thought I knew my body also but I don't know what the heck is going on these days!!! I know I still feel a little crampy today and like AF could happen anytime. My breasts are very sore and they do that when I have pms so that is a concern to me too. They started to hurt the same time I got the cramps. I guess I shouldn't think about it too much. I did not expect to be so obsessed with this after getting the IUI. That is all I can think about!!! Good luck to you and keep me posted, when do you start the follistim?

Old 02-11-2004, 11:32 AM   #6

Lilliputian HB User

LisaJojo -- I COMPLETELY understand your obsession! I've been obsessed with every bodily change and symptom I go through, and then I start bugging myself with questions... Am I pregnant? Am I not pregnant? Is that menstrual spotting or implantation blood? Are my breasts sore because of PMS? -- The questions never really stop, which is both frustrating and exhausting.

My dh and I are taking two months off -- which surprisingly is making me feel totally liberated! -- and then we'll start Follistim in April. If Follistim doesn't work, then IVF is really the only option left for us, which I don't think we want to pursue. I don't have much hope left of getting pg, which ironically is also making me feel liberated. I don't have that dark cloud hanging over my head at all times anymore. We're forging ahead with adoption regardless of what happens, and that has given me a new sense of purpose and hope -- I am so excited I can hardly wait. (But of course we're going to have to wait -- at least a year...)

Good luck to you!

Old 02-11-2004, 11:34 AM   #7

Lilliputian HB User

Lisajojo - I forgot to ask you, what inectibles are you on? Follistim, by chance? I'd love to hear about your experiences with that. I've heard that the shots are much better than clomid -- you don't get so emotional and wacked out as you do on clomid. That's what I'm hoping. Clomid makes me stark raving mad.

Old 02-11-2004, 12:25 PM   #8
Inactive

lisajojo HB User

Lilli - I took October - December off. I needed a break myself. It was very nice. In January I started taking Bravelle, which was not too bad. I was on clomid for 6 (April - September) months without IUI and it did make me pretty nutty. I was not able to go through with the IUI the first month. My cycle was all screwed up from the previous cycle (which my RE says is very rare that it happened) so this cycle I took Repronex which is the same as Bravelle but it is not as "pure" and it was alot cheaper. I used Bravelle the first month because the company I get it from was running a special which was not available this time around. My trigger shot is Ovidrel which I kept in my fridge - it is easy, there was no mixing, it was ready to go. It is administered the same as your regular injectibles. The repronex gave me a few mosquito bite like marks on my abodomen because of the purity thing but it was not so bad especially when it saved me $100 - I can live with mosquito bites! I think adopton is great and if we do not have luck I would like to pursue that myself. Don't give up hope though. I have heard tons of stories where the couple goes to adopt and when they get the adopted child they get pg!! If you don't mind me asking, do you have a diagnosis as to why you are not getting pg and how long have you been trying? We have been trying for 2 years. I thought I fell under the category of unexplained but when I was at the RE last week I happened to look at my receipt and he has LPD (Luteal Phase Defect) circled. I have done some research on it and there are numerous different things that can cause you to have infertility problems (such as poor follicle production, failure of the uterine lining to respond so an embryo could not implant and low progesterone levels) and I have read that it is easily treatable. I think I am low progesterone - that is why we couldn't go through with the IUI last cycle. I just found it odd that my RE didn't even tell me he just circled it for my billing. I really like and trust my RE's (there are two in a practice together) and they are supposed to be the best in the city I live in but I wish he would have said something to me. Keep me posted and if you have any other questions, just let me know! I will help you any way I can!

Old 02-12-2004, 01:45 PM   #9
Inactive

stillwtg HB User

lisajojo, well I had my first appt. for ultrasound today. I'm going to start clomid for 5 days and then have blood test done to check rapid estradial...whatever that is everything is so confused in my mind right now! Then when those tests come back I'll find out what comes next and if I'm going to have to have injections. How are you feeling? I hope better and I hope this works for you! When is your wait over?

Old 02-13-2004, 06:27 AM   #10
Inactive

lisajojo HB User

stillwtg - I know, it is very confusing to me too. I hope your appt. went well. It's amazing how many different methods there are out there and how different every woman is! I am still feeling crampy. It has not stopped since the day after my trigger shot. I am on cd 18. I took my trigger shot on cd 10 and had the IUI on cd 12. AF usually is on cd 25. I want to do a hpt next week but I have heard that Ovidrel (trigger shot) can cause a fasle positive. The wait is driving me insane!! I told my dh that if I am not pg I would just rather start AF and get going on the next cycle!!! Please keep me updated as to how you are doing or if you just need to chat.

Old 02-14-2004, 07:13 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

S&J HB User

HI there,
My Dh and I been TTC for 2 years....clomid from oct - dec/03 and then 2 mos off jan/feb...and then now next month in march I start clomid again and IUI for 3 mos. DH has poor count and morphology.
These last two months have been crazy...had symptoms of pregnancy..thought there was Implantation..etc....etc..etc...sad/angry AF came..but tried not to think about it like everyone says to do...hard not to!!
I'm quite excited to start IUI next month if we're not pregnant by then. I hope things are going well for you all and I'll keep in touch with ya!
Good to know what I'm to expect when we go in.

Old 02-16-2004, 02:06 PM   #12
Inactive

lisajojo HB User

S&J - Good luck to you on your IUI! I hope it works for you!! My dh have been trying for two years also. Do you have any other children? Unfortunately, we don't. I am on cd 21. My cycle ususally runs 25 days (which is friday) and 2 weeks since my IUI (which is Saturday). I'm afraid to try a HPT too early. I know you can get one that shows up to 4 days before missed period. I think I will wait for a few more days. I don't "feel" pregnant but then I never have so I don't know or not!!! I will keep you posted and you do the same as well!!!

Old 02-22-2004, 12:58 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

S&J HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisajojo
S&J - Good luck to you on your IUI! I hope it works for you!! My dh have been trying for two years also. Do you have any other children? Unfortunately, we don't. I am on cd 21. My cycle ususally runs 25 days (which is friday) and 2 weeks since my IUI (which is Saturday). I'm afraid to try a HPT too early. I know you can get one that shows up to 4 days before missed period. I think I will wait for a few more days. I don't "feel" pregnant but then I never have so I don't know or not!!! I will keep you posted and you do the same as well!!!
Thanks! No we don't have any other children. My cycle is crazy 26 days/33/26/33/28....I'm waiting now for my next period and then I call into the clinic and get started on clomid and went it's time head in and receive my first IUI. When are you able to test again? I hope it's turns out. How many times have your received the IUI? Let me know how things are going!

Old 02-23-2004, 06:55 AM   #14
Inactive

lisajojo HB User

S&J - I have only had one IUI so far. AF came so I am going for IUI #2! I started back on my injectibles friday so I will probably have my second IUI by the end of the this week. I am on cd 6 so probably on Sunday I will have the insemination - cd 12 (at least that is the way it went last time). Is your clinic open 7 days a week? I have heard from several people that it is good to have a clinic to that is open 7 days so you can get your procedure done exactly when it needs to be. Let me know how things go - are they giving your dh anything?

Old 02-23-2004, 09:33 AM   #15

LauraJane HB User

Hi - I also just had an IUI last Friday for the first time. I am also having a little cramping daily. Did you do clomid, follistim and the HCG shot? I am sorry to ask a personal question but do you know why you are infertile? My husband has a high sperm count and my doctor can't seem to find anything wrong with me except the fact that I do not have very regular cycles. I did have a thyroid issue but it was removed last December. I am 33.

How old are you? When do you get your pregnancy test? I go in on March 5th for the blood test.

Laura

Closed Thread