It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2004, 05:57 AM   #1

snoopysmine HB User
Has anyone had a myomectomy before?

It has been a good while since I have posted ........hope all of you are doing well.................

Just wanted to know if anyone on the board has had a myomectomy for fibroids and if so, how long was it to recover..............any info. would be great!

Last edited by snoopysmine; 06-28-2004 at 05:58 AM.

Old 06-28-2004, 07:52 AM   #2
Inactive

stillwtg HB User
Re: Has anyone had a myomectomy before?

I had one in Jan. I had about 8 fibroids removed. My experience might not be typical b/c I ended up in the hospital for 3 days b/c dehydration and nausea (but I don't think this is typical, so don't worry) so my recovery was a little longer...strength-wise, getting my energy up. As far as the surgery recovery, I had really very little major pain (I think I only took 2 days of pain meds) mostly when I would lay down to sleep. You can't use your stomach muscles b/c it hurts. I would guess that by about 4 weeks I felt pretty good and by 6 normal. In about 2 weeks I was going out and doing normal errands and stuff my tummy was just tender. When I had my post op exam which I think was at 2 weeks he said I could do whatever I felt comfortable doing...just easy back into my normal routine. Except for my little set back it wasn't that bad. You can't lift anything to amount to much for several weeks which was nice (dh had to help w/laundry)!

Good luck to you. When is your surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2004, 08:24 AM   #3

snoopysmine HB User

Thanks for the response......

My surgery is scheduled for 07/20........I just had a laparascopy hysteroscopy on 04/29 but I had so much pain afterwards......I could not get out of bed and I was bleeding so badly...This Dr. who did the surgery in April kept telling me I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome and he kept wanting to call me in a nose spray for the pain (Keep in mind that I could not even move or get up or let alone go to the bathroom without sharp shooting pains.......) I ended up in the emergency room and the Dr who examined me and ran some tests he discovered that I had ovarian cysts and fibroids.......I THOUGHT I HAD JUST HAD SURGERY TO REMOVE ALL OF THIS SO I WAS EXTREMELY UPSET!!!!!!!!

I was hospitalized to help treat the pain and needless to say when I got out I went to get a second, and third opinion............ I am now scheduled for surgery to remove the fibroids.....Something that the Dr. disussed with me that has been most likely my problem from day one with all the symptoms that I described........(I had 3 failed IUI's and 1 failed IVF fromthe other Dr...I should never have tried to do this if I had these fibroids!)

I am worried about the time frame that I will be off from work is all..(My bosses are great though because they tell me to take as much time as I need) Was this an outpatient surgery for you?????? If not, how long were you in the hospital???? They explained a bit to me but I won't know how this all works until I go in for my pre-op...thanks again!

Old 06-28-2004, 08:44 AM   #4
Inactive

stillwtg HB User

I think my dr. was a bit optimistic, but he scheduled surgery on a Thurs. and said I could go to work on Monday (of course I was in the hospital then, so much for that theory)! I think a week and I could have gone back, depends on what your job is. If you have to do lifting I would take more than a week. My surgery was outpatient. I think I got there at 7am and was home by 12 or 1pm.

I think it depends on where your fibroids are as to whether or not they interfere with ttc. Mine were on the outside of my uterus which wouldn't have prevented me from getting pg, but could have caused trouble if I did get pg b/c they would grow.

I hope everything goes well for you. My pain really wasn't bad, it was the other side effects that did me in!

Old 06-28-2004, 09:30 AM   #5

snoopysmine HB User

My fibroids are within the muscle and coming out into the uterus........

I just called out of curiosity hoping that I would be going home the same day.
I will have to stay at least 2 nights ...and the other days will be determined as far as how my progress is...........Oh well.......whatever it takes to get all of this stuff removed!!!!!!!!!! I want to get my body as close to normal as I can so I can try on my own to get pregnant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish you the best of luck and I truly thank you for responding to my question!

Old 06-28-2004, 11:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User

I had one march of 03 but it started out as a laparoscopy and they found a fibroid like yours where is was beginning to grow out of the uterus... they removed it right then and there - it was out patient (but they didn't think there was a fibroid there before the surgery) i went back to work two days later. i was crampy because they did a HSG also. it took a few days but i was okay.. almost a year later to the day we did IVF and had a BFP... BUT at my first OB visit they found two more fibroids... this time they are near the cervix. so NO natural child birth.. i go to the OB EVERY week to keep an eye on the fibroids.. apparently when they removed the first one in the paper work it says that there were two small ones that were left it place.. well they aren't small any more but i am sure it's mostly because i am pregnant since it feeds off of estrogen. My SIL 's sister had a successful pregnancy with a fibroid last year so i am very hopeful that i can carry my baby all they way through. either way when this one is done I will see if they can remove them again and try a second ivf next year. I have 3 more eggs to use and i will use them.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:40 AM   #7
(female)

Charp1 HB User

Hi,

I'm new to the boards.

I had a myomectomy May 30th with a 4 day hospital stay. I had 17 tumors removed from around, inside and within the wall of my uterus.

I know everyone is different, so here is my experience.

The nurses made me stand up the very night after my surgery and had me walking around the next day. Had a little fever twice while in the hosptial, they upped the antibiotics. My catheder was remove the next day. I was told I would not be allowed to leave until I have a bowel movement. So I was given a stool softener w/laxatve.

Painful to get in and out of bed. The staples were removed the day I was discharged and several pieces of tape placed on my incision.

My doctor has given me 6 weeks off work and was restricted from driving for 2 weeks. I discovered one HUGE blue black purple bruise on my right hip, but it didn't hurt and no other brusies on my stomach anywhere. I was told it was probably a blood pocket. I was given a perscription for prenatal vitamins along w/more antibiotics and pain pills and I haven't needed any of the pain pills. I did get a fever and took Tylenol Extra Strength before i was able to get the antibotics.

My stomach is still swollen, sensitive and numb. Numbness is mostly from the navel down. I have to take a nap daily...and if I stand too long, I find myself holding my stomach. There is some burning sensations and itching. Nerves trying to reconnect and heal I'm told.

My doctor says all the swelling and numbness should completely disappear within the next 6 months. All the elder women in my life are telling to take it slow. "You're healing from the inside out and you're healing in layers" I've been instructed not to pick up anything heavy, not even a bottle of bleach. lol

My period was due June 8th. Since I was still bleeding from the surgery I don't know if i had one or not, there was no cramping. It's June 19th and I'm not bleeding anymore, but having a light brownish discharge. My next period is due July 4th.

What I'd like to know is, if:
1. Walking (in moderation) will aid in my healing?
2. Will wearing control top pantyhose help support my stomach?
3. I had a extended stomach due to weight and the fibroids and I've noticed some weight loss. Will my stomach shrink as the swelling goes down? Will is hang?
4. When can I exercise? And what kind is allowed?

Thanks,
Char

Closed Thread