It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2004, 12:35 PM   #1
Veteran

Bella535 HB User
Ectopic Pregnancy, Chemical Pregnancy

I was just told by my doctor that my blood test results came back with some pregnancy hormone and when he did an exam last week I wasnt pregnant so he told me I may have an ectopic pregnancy or a chemical pregnancy. I actually went to take an ultra sound before he found out about the blood test but they told me that it was all clear. I was just wondering I didnt bleed or anything so even if I wouldve had a chemical pregnancy............would I have bleed?

Old 08-11-2004, 01:15 PM   #2
Veteran

Bella535 HB User
Re: Ectopic Pregnancy, Chemical Pregnancy

hmmmmmmmm I guess none knows anything about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2004, 01:49 PM   #3

Mockanaitis HB User

Sorry, I've never heard of that happening before.

Old 08-11-2004, 02:14 PM   #4

SpeisFamily HB User

It may be that you are so newly pregnant that last week at your appointment you were not yet pregnant and this week you are. The numbers being low can also signify a VERY early detection of pregnancy. Also, if you are only a week or so pregnant they will probably not see anything on an ultrasound, they usually do not do them until a woman is at least 3 months pregnant. Although I found out with my second daughter at 3 weeks on an ultrasound that I was pregnant, and believe me, they very easily could have missed the baby even at 3 weeks, it was so small and didn't look like anything but a little spot in the middle of my uterus.

Continue to get blood work drawn, as long as the HCG numbers are doubling every few days, you are pregnant and all is good. If the numbers stay the same or fall, you may have either an eptopic, miscarriage, or a chemical. But I really think you are just very early on in your pregnancy.

Good luck, and I wish you well.

Last edited by SpeisFamily; 08-12-2004 at 06:51 AM.

Old 08-11-2004, 03:40 PM   #5

stephanie72 HB User

I am experiencing an ectopic pregnancy right now. I found out I was pregnant 3 weeks ago. My beta HCG numbers were fairly low, and not doubling as they should. They did an ultrasound and was unable to see anything, but it was also fairly early so they have been monitoring me with regular blood tests every few days to see what my numbers were doing. I was also having regular cramping (although not severe) and some spotting. Generally with an ectopic, your numbers are on the lower side, and although they go up, they dont go up like they should (double every 48 hrs typically). Last week, my numbers dropped so they assumed it was a miscarriage in my uterus. So I had a D&C on Friday. Then on Sunday, my numbers rose back up again, which is complete opposite of what they'd do when you have a D&C so it was just determined Monday (through more blood tests because to this date, they still haven't been able to see anything in my tube or uterus), that I have an ectopic. I was given a shot of Methotrexate (which is typically a chemotherapy drug) to dissolve it. I will find out Monday if it worked.

My best advice to you since they can't see anything via ultrasound, is to get them to monitor you through frequent blood tests. They need to watch those beta HCG levels closely. An ectopic pregnancy, if not caught early can be very dangerous. If it ruptures, it is a medical emergency and requires immediate surgery or you could die. And you could lose your tube. I dont want to scare you, but an ectopic pregnancy should not be taken lightly. If they suspect it, they need to stay on top of your beta HCG counts.

Best of luck to you. :-)

Old 08-11-2004, 03:46 PM   #6

stephanie72 HB User

I re-read my reply and want to correct a few things.

When I say if an ectopic ruptures and requires you need immediate surgery or you could die, this is, of course, worse case scenario. It is a medical emergency and would absolutely require surgery. The blood seeping into your abdominal cavity as a result of a rupture can be deadly. But if it ruptures, it could cause damage to your tube, and it may need to be removed completely. Which is why it's important to catch it early.

I think you very well could be very early pregnant. Watch your betas. But remember, they will continue to rise if you have an ectopic so never assume that just because they're going up, you're safe because that is not the case. They should, technically, double every 48 hrs.

When I was 5 wks pregnant, my beta was only in the 700's...most women are in the thousands by that point. So the fact that the number was so low was an indication that something could be wrong.

Closed Thread