It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2006, 07:28 AM   #1
(female)

jennypoo HB User
IUI next week...Have a few ???

Hey Everyone!
My RE is proceeding with IUI next week and I was wondering if anyone out there can answer some questions/ concerns that I have. What are the chances of getting pregnant with IUI? Is there anyone that has a success story? What should I expect when the procedure is getting done? Will it hurt? Should I take something before? Any information that you have would be great.

Jennypoo

Old 06-13-2006, 10:17 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

waiting4ababy HB User
Re: IUI next week...Have a few ???

I don't remember the number percentage wise that they put on the success rate of IUI's I am sure someone else on here with be able to help you with that I am sure! But I have read several success stories just on here alone with that method. There is a lucky lady on this board that got pg with twins doing an IUI. So it is promising. Usually when you go in your husband has to give his sperm and then they do a sperm wash which usually take about 2 hours to do so you guys will be able to go out the breakfast or something. Then when you come back you just lay on the little doctors bed and you are opened up like anything else so they can see the cervix and then they insert a little tiny tube with your husbands sperm in the injector attached to it. They go in through the cervix and into the uterus and in the little spermies go. It is very painless sometimes they may accidentally scratch the inside wall which in some people might cause a little tenderness or little spotting. But other than that you will be so tickled to do this procedure that everything leading up to that very moment will be a blur. Good luck I love to hear about people starting out cause I know how I felt the first time around its just an amazing feeling knowing that you are actually doing something about your infertility. keep us posted, when is your appointment?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User

Hi Jennypoo,

I too will be doing IUI next week! I did my first IUI last month and was nervous as well. You don't need to take anything before the procedure. Im not sure if your RE told you but around ovulation and for a few days after you want to avoid medications such as Advil, Aleve etc. b/c it can interfere with ovulation. Tylenol is fine to take. IUI definately does not hurt...it kinda feels like a pap smear. I had a little bit of spotting afterward for a few hours and that was it. I don't know if you have had an HSG yet but I had mine the week before I did IUI and that made IUI seem like a walk in the park. The HSG was so painful! Good luck...i hope we all get a BFP!!!!

Koukla3~

Old 06-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ravaemarie HB User

jennypoo - First I want to wish you the best of luck with your IUI!!! I am not sure of the percentage, either - but I do know that they say if you are not pregnant after 3 or 4 times it probably isn't going to work - they can change your dosages or medication and that might improve chances - I am not sure on that. I am thinking my doctor told me that my chances were like 10-12% with IUI - but normal chances of getting pregnant with everything being optimal for pregnancy is only 20% - which seems impossible to me with everyone around me being pregnant - but that is what I have heard from so many professional people.

Anyway - I don't want to scare you about the IUI but since the other 2 told you that they had no pain in their experiences, I thought I should prepare you IN CASE it should happen to you - I had very severe pain with 2 of my IUI's - I am not sure if he scraped my cervix or what happened, but I had severe pain and bleeding after my IUI. This did not happen with all of my IUI's - but it did happen. So - just FYI so you are not totally suprised if you do have some pain. Each person is different and it's so hard to predict how it will feel for you. In all honesty - you do get so excited that it's happening and the chance that you might get pregnant from this experience makes it all worth it!!!!

Best of luck and lots of baby dust and prayers coming your way!!

~ravae

Old 06-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User

I'm not really sure about the exact percentage either but I know your chances go up quite a bit compared to "trying on your own". I had my first IUI in November and I was so nervous!! So I know exactly what you're going through. I'm sure you're very excited but very nervous. The anxiety is the worst part. Try some relaxation breathing before and during and that should calm your nerves and help you to relax your muscles. The only thing that was uncomfortable for me was the thing they put in to open you up a little and even that didn't hurt it was just a lot of pressure. I never felt the catheder go in or my dr. injecting the sperm. It seriously takes like 30 seconds from start to finish. I had to lay there for 20 mins afterwards. You'd do fine on your own but it helps a lot to have your husband there with you. Hold his hand 'cause the chances are good that you'll be making a baby!! I know this is easy for me to say, but it's nothing to be worried about. You'll do great! Best of wishes!

Old 06-15-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
(female)

suewaz HB User

I am not sure of the exact percentages, but are you taking any infertility medicine along with the IUI? I do know that the chances of getting pregnant are greater on follistom shots than clomid with an IUI. My doctor just moved me up to the shots, rather than clomid, and I think she said the chances are closer to 20%, where with clomid it was less than 10%. Also, there was some pain when they did for me. It just feels like bad gas pain or cramping, not be gross. It is more uncomfortable than anything. I had my husband with me the whole time, which helped!

Last edited by suewaz; 06-15-2006 at 11:34 AM.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:37 PM   #7
(female)

jennypoo HB User

I'm on Clomid (50mg) this is month three and HCG injections. My RE said that the clomid is definately working cause I asked him the same thing (changing meds.)

Thanks for the posts everyone.

Jennypoo

Old 06-18-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User

Jennypoo,

How are you doing? I responded earlier about my first IUI not hurting at all. Well, I just had my second one this morning and it was uncomfortable. I had some cramping Like menstrual cramps for about a minute. She told me that it is completely normal b/c she is in my uterus and the natural response is for it to contract and that's how she knows she is in the right spot. It felt similar to my HSG pain but not as bad. I don't know...but I wanted to give you a head up. Maybe today will be a success b/c I know she definately was in my uterus. She also told me that the percentage of getting pregnant is 23% just slightly greater than ttc naturally. She said everyone has 20% chance of getting pregnant but with medications and IUI it slightly goes up. I don't know though...everyone has different values. Good luck and think positive baby thoughts....it helps!

Koukla

Old 06-19-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
(female)

jennypoo HB User

Koukla - Thank you so much for the info. I hope you get that BFP that you deserve. I'm going to the doctor in a few hours and I am very nervous. Its been a really bad 10 months with finding out I have PCOS and everything. It would be really wonderful to final get some good news. Kinda hoping that it is not as bad a the HSG exam though cause that made me a mess. I'll keep you posted on how it went. Thanks again.

Jennypoo

Old 06-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

marriot HB User

My doctor told me that she has a 10% success rate over four tries with IUI patients. So 10% of people end up pregnant after 4 tries.
We're dealing with male factor so we opted to go for IVF with ICSI, which has about a 56% success rate in my age group (no obvious female factor issues).
I don't know about you but I'm all about statistics. I'd ask you doctor your chances before you write a cheque. IUI can be helpful, but with some male factor issues it doesn't matter how close you put the sperm to the egg, they're just not going to be able to get in.
I wish you lots and lots of luck. It just feels good to be doing SOMETHING about your fertility, doesn't it? Not knowing what's wrong or what your options are is such a hopeless feeling.

Closed Thread