It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
(female)

emmababe HB User
Question Metformin PCOS

Ive just been diagnosed with PCOS and i also have a dermoid cyst on my right ovary. im having an op in afew weeks to have the cyst removed, but im taking metformin for the PCOS, have worked up to taking 1000mg a day and have to work up to taking 2000mg a day. We have been TTC for over a year and im only having 1 or 2 periods a year.

i just wondered what other peoples experience of metformin was, cos ive been so ill taking it so far that im dreading uping the dose. has anyone found any ways of helping the side effects? and has it actually helped any of you? id feel better about the side effects if i have some hope thats its gonna help me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
(female)

parendt HB User
Re: Metformin PCOS

Hi emmababe,

I also have PCOS, and was perscribed metformin. When I first started taking it felt ill all the time especially after I had to up the dose. Because metformin is a diabetic medication I had talked to my Dad about it, because he is a diabetic. He advised me to regularily check my blood sugar levels, and to watch my diet. I almost treated myself like I was a diabetic, and didn't eat the things that a diabetic couldn't. After a short time I found that as long as I was consistant with my diet that I wasn't feeling the ill feelings near as much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
(female)

macca5 HB User

Hi
I took metformin for 6 months and I become unbearable - I turned into a hormonal mess - it did not sort anything out and just made me very miserable
I dont know if i was an exceptionbut i was glad to come off it even though there have been no solutions since

Old 08-29-2006, 02:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASPROUSEY05 HB User

i def agree with parentd.. my re told me that the less "starch" i eat the less side effects i would have, and he was right.. when i was eating good the meds rarely bothered me! it was only when i was eating what my dietician told me i should stay away from.. i know very1 is diff tho, but u shouldnt become hormonal from metformin, bc its not a "hormone" it is a med used mostly for diabetic patients! it shouldnt affect ur mood unless ur upset of how crappy it makes u feel... ive heard of women who says this works for them, if they can eat right and be on it, it should help, goood luck to ya!!

Closed Thread