It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
(female)

adh621 HB User
diagnostic hysteroscopy- give it to me straight

Iím back from my HSG today which was horrible (worse than labor). The bright side I guess is that there were no blockages and I felt no cramping after the procedure. *Plenty* of pain during though. I donít think this doctor was very good at it.

Anyway, Iím bleeding pretty heavily from that little field trip and I assume this will subside, however, I have a hysteroscopy scheduled for Tuesday which is cycle day 12. I am a) not happy about having to have another possibly painful procedure and b) not happy having it so close to ovulation. I am not remotely interested in having DH anywhere near me at the moment as it feels like I had a biopsy or something and that I have an open wound.

Anyway, has anyone else had this procedure close to ovulation? Has anyone else had this procedure with nothing but Advil? My doctorís office says itís no big deal and I will be right up and back to work, but Iím reading online about people getting anesthesia! For just the diagnostic one! Also is this standard protocol? I donít see a lot of talk about these hysteroscopies and this is my first month at the RE. Little did I know walking in there that I would be having almost daily internals and/or blood draws and/or proceduresÖ

Old 09-07-2006, 01:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASPROUSEY05 HB User
Re: diagnostic hysteroscopy- give it to me straight

im not going to lie to u, i had the hysteroscopy (diagnostic) and i was told the same, that is is way less painful then the hsg, and same thing 1-2-3 and over, etc.etc.. so i wasnt expecting any problems.. HA!!! my uterus kept moving, so they have to clamp it with a tenneculum (sp?) then he couldnt get my cervix to dialate, he kept putting in more fluid and couldnt get it to dialate... he also said this could have to do with the fact that my uterus is extremely tilted. anyway, i ended up not being able to handle the torture and rescheduling with anesthesia" in not trying to scare u, just let u know my experience.. now ive heard this is not painful at all by other women, so i may just have been that my cervix and tilted uterus were the problem!!! good luck tho!!! i hope some other ladies have better experiences for u!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
(female)

adh621 HB User

OMG I Knew it! I'm begining to get annoyed with doctors that havent undergone the procedure themselves telling me its nothing.

Why did they do yours? Was it just general workup or did they suspect something?

Old 09-07-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Cubed HB User

Adh -- Ugh -- I feel for you! My HSG was completely awful, too. It was performed by some Dr. (not my RE, probably a resident) who looked like a kid and had no idea what he was doing. He explained the procedure, indicating that it would only take about 5 minutes. It took at least 20 and was one of the most unpleasant medical experiences I think I've ever had. At some point during the procedure, the Dr. apologized saying that he was having difficulty doing it and I was like -- "Do you have any thoughts on when this might actually happen?" And he just kept apologizing saying he would try his best. Good grief -- I was not a happy girl. Anyhow, that test came out normal and a hysteroscopy was never even proposed by our RE. Our general work-up consisted of bloodwork, ultrasound and HSG for me and SA for DH. Any idea what your RE would do (i.e., would he still treat you) if you refuse a hysteroscopy? Do you know why he's recommending one?

Old 09-08-2006, 04:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASPROUSEY05 HB User

my office does a hysteroscopy for anyone before the have ivf.. they feel why do ivf thinking u may have one problem, and have it fail because of something the "never saw" so im happy it was done.. when i was under anesthesia and then woke up i really didnt even have cramping.. oh and to prove every1 is different, my hsg was VERY painful.. but it only lasted 2 minutes, i was crampy for about 10 min afterwards, but then i used to rest of the day to go go shopping and felt good enough that nite bd with dh

Old 09-08-2006, 08:06 AM   #6
(female)

adh621 HB User

My HSG was also done by some young doctor at a hospital and he wasnt good at it. He kept telling me "I know there is some pressure" and Im like Pressure? Are you kidding me? If I could have reached him I would have hit him. I dont want my DH anywhere near me, even today.

I dont know why this RE wants to do a hysteroscopy. I have a two year old and had a early MC in May and Im no where near IVF since this is my first month at the RE.

You are saying your diagnostic hysteroscopy was done under general? That really worries me. I think my RE is going to be ticked when I tell him I want to delay this. I have bloodwork on Monday for the clomid challenge and thats when I want to tell him I dont want to do the hysteroscopy on Tuesday, given its so close to ovulation and my cervix is still completely wrecked from the HSG. I think he is the type just to do every test under the sun before making any diagnosis. He wont say what he is even thinking might be the issue at this point. Everything has come out normal except Im not sure on my follicle count, it was like 5-6 on each side on day 4. I still dont know if that is good or bad.

Closed Thread