It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
(female)

MaxTech23 HB User
Chemical Pregnancy?

ummm... sorry - feel a bit silly asking this but.... what's a Chemical Pregnancy?

Thanks,
Erica

Old 09-21-2006, 09:55 AM   #2
(female)

specialscorp HB User
Re: Chemical Pregnancy?

I had a chemical pregnancy back in 2003. When your body produces the hormone "HCG", you're considered pregnant. This is what determines the results of a home pregnancy test. I took a test, actually 3, and all showed pregnant. I went to the OB/GYN and was told that my HCG levels were really low (less than 50, I think). They asked that I come back a few days later so that they could test them again. If the levels of HCG had increased, then the pregnancy was real and should continue normally. If they decreased even more, then something was wrong and my body was simply ending a pregnany that wasn't real and ok enough for my body to hold on to. When I went back, the levels had depleted to around 5 and I had started spotting and cramping. Had my body not miscarried this on it's on, they would've had to have gone in and done a procedure. I found it best to convince myself (as the doctor's told me) that had the pregnancy continued and I did not lose it, there would've been something wrong and my body new it. I got pregnant again shortly after and now have a healthy, vibrant 17 mth old daughter. Hope I explained things for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Cubed HB User

Erica,
Chemical pregnancies occur when the sperm and egg meet, so that your body starts producing the pregnancy hormone (HCG), but then the pregnancy doesn't take hold -- for instance, the embryo fails to implant and stay implanted in your uterus.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
(female)

MaxTech23 HB User

Thank you both so much. I had read a couple of stories on here and the term chemical pregnancy kept appearing and I couldn't help but wonder.

-- I'm beginning to cramp a little today. I'm now 6 dpo (IUI) so I don't know if maybe there is some implantation or just normal cramps. *sigh* I'm trying not to think about it but I can't help myself. I'm here at work and each time I feel myself cramp I wonder if that our lil' one grabbing on for dear life or not.

Tons of Sticky Baby Dust to everyone!!

Old 09-21-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

km7503 HB User

I had a chemical pg back in June. I was told that my little one did in fact implant... I could be wrong about this but I think that is the only way that your body starts making the HCG hormone, otherwise, you could start testing soon after conception if it happened when the egg meets the sperm. As far as I know, there are no tests out there that test that early. It's always about a week later at the earliest because that's about when it implants.

Anyway, my level was only a 9.5 at 14dp ER and at 16days, it was negative. 3 or 4 days later, I was off progesterone and got AF. I wouldn't consider a beta less than 50 a chemical pregnancy because I only got a 28 at 14 days past 2nd ER and I'm now 10 weeks. Usually, a chemical involves a very low beta but the gaurantee of a chemical is when the beta never increases or doubles and actually decreases. Since it is so soon, they don't really call this a miscarraige.

Also, most women never know they have ever had a chemical pregnancy. Any time your period is late, you could have had a possible pregnancy that didn't take. In the infertility world, we find out because we test so early. Other women may never even knew they were pg, and get their periods late with or without taking a test (and usually these tests come out negative because the HCG is usually low.)

On another note about implanting...my RE confirmed that with my chemical, it was a good sign that at least I know I can get pg, meaning, at least I know that my body is capable of an embryo implanting. When the HCG decreases, then something is not right and it will then be released and fail to stay implanted.

On the bright side of chemicals, they say you're body's more prone to getting pg soon afer. And I, like specialscorp, did get pg in my next cycle.

On a totally different note, if you are feeling cramping, then that's probably a good sign. Every woman I've talked to about feeling a cramp similar to AF cramps but more like "pulling" did in fact get pg. I don't think you can actually "feel" your body implanting an embryo though. However, I got those cramps too and my acupuncturist told me that it is my body getting ready for pregnancy.

Good luck!!

Old 09-21-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
(female)

MaxTech23 HB User

Thanks KM... I've been feeling the crampy feeling all day today but I'm still trying not to get ahead of myself. Dr. just called. They're increasing my estrogen to 4mg twice daily and progesterone at 200mg twice daily. Monday they'll do another blood test to check my hormones.

LOTS OF BABY DUST TO EVERYONE!!

Old 09-21-2006, 05:57 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Cubed HB User

Krissi,
Thanks for that info. On my very first ever fertility treatment, an IUI, I also had a chemical pregnancy. Sigh ... Anyhow, hope your pregnancy is going well and good luck MaxTech!!

Closed Thread