It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
(female)

adh621 HB User
OVULATION experts needed

Ive been TTC #2 for 18 months. I am 33, did 5 rounds of clomid, m/c on cycle two. I was going back over my charts and found a definate pattern. If my BBT temps are to be believed, I always seem to ovulate between CD 20 and CD 25 and then I always get my period 5 to 10 days later (except for one round of clomid that I took days 3-7 with estrogen, I ovulated on day 16 and, temps dropped 12 dpo and got my period 14 dpo).

Anyway, what does this mean. Essentially its late ovulation with a short luteal phase, right? Why would that be? I ovulated day 21 with my son, so I guess late ovulation can be ok, but obviously not all the time!

Or do you think my BBTs are off?

I am seeing an RE, he tested for PCOS and everything else. He wanted me on Avandia even though my fasting glucose was 87 and insulin was 4 (both normal) but I bought a home meter based on a hunch and now think I may actually have low blood sugar which was masked by the fact that I took Clartin D and forgot to tell the dr that.

Thoughts on that ovulation pattern anyone?

Old 10-18-2006, 05:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Cubed HB User
Re: OVULATION experts needed

Hi adh!
I charted for years before starting fertility treatments. Definitely looks like you have late ovulation with a short luteal phase. (And I don't think that there's any real problem with ovulating late -- the problem really would be with the short luteal phase.) From what I've read on the topic, your luteal phase should be at least 10 days long. Also, sometimes it can take a day or so for your rise in temperature to register (so you could really be ovulating a day or so before you're able to measure the increase in temperature). But even taking that into account, you're saying that sometimes you only have 5 days (or less than 10) of high temps. With me, my luteal phase was always exactly the same # of days, give or take a day. So I don't know what it means that the length of your luteal phase is constantly changing -- with a variable of 5 days. The other thing I don't know is how, if at all, fertility medications affect your bbt. If the meds interfere with being able to take an accurate temperature, then you might not be getting an accurate picture of what's going on. Don't know if this helps, but I hope it does. You might want to do a search on the internet on "luteal phase" or "luteal phase defect" (I hate that they call it a "defect" but I believe that's the term for it) -- might give you some more info on what it is, how it affects your fertility, and how it can be treated. (I'm not saying that you have it -- but certainly worth looking into.) I'd also ask your RE about it to see what he/she thinks -- and ask whether your meds affect your temperature taking. Good luck!!

Last edited by Cubed; 10-18-2006 at 05:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread