It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2006, 10:02 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

deluka96 HB User
Unhappy IUI and Laparoscopy???

:confused: Hey Everyone,

I hope everyone's thanksgiving was better than mine. My second IUI has failed and I started a new cycle on Friday night. We had all this family in town staying at our house so I had to keep it together .

Anyway I had a question....i saw my RE today and they did the usual blood work and u/s. I am on day 3/4 of my cycle and they think I have 2 follicles at 12 and one at 9. Last IUI did partial injectibles (ganerlex and Gonal F) and partial Femara then HCG injection on day 10. RE wants to stop Femara and do only injectibles starting today (depending on blood work confirmation of follicle growth). He thinks we should continue IUI for a few more cycles before we do a laparoscopy as that procedure is more invasive than an IUI. My concern is that I did have an procedure (forgot the name) that the put blue ink up my uterus to see if my tubes were blocked and that test was inconclusive. RE said that this is common and has more to do with the anatomy of my body than anything else. But I still do not know if my fallopian tubes are blocked. Has anyone had their RE do an IUI before having a laparoscopy to confirm their tubes are clear?? Sorry for the long e-mail just trying to understand what is the best way to go from here?? I don't know if an IUI can work if I have a tube blocked. Thanks

Kathy (deluka)

Old 11-27-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heyknack HB User
Re: IUI and Laparoscopy???

Hmmm, if your HSG test was inconclusive, couldn't they repeat it? I mean, if they couldn't tell in the view they were looking at, couldn't they just reposition you to tell better during the last one? Or do another one? (I know, ugh...) I have had several IUI's without having a lap, but my HSG test was normal. I think it really would be wise to confirm your tubes are open, but I'm not sure. I would certainly ask, because it would bother me too. What if you find your tubes are actually blocked, and you did all these wasted IUI's? Maybe your doc can see more than he let on (on the HSG)? Keep us posted on what you find out or what your doctor says...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Hi Kathy,

I haven't had any IUI's, but I did have a blocked tube, so maybe I can offer you some advice. My opinion only, but...I think you should request a laparoscopy before going through anymore IUI's. An IUI will not work if your tubes are blocked. It doesn't make sense to me that your dr would perform the IUI's without going through all the testing.

The test you did have done with the dye was most likely an HSG. Mine also came back inconclusive, which was the reason the lap was scheduled. I ended up having two laps altogether (first one diagnosed my blocked tube, and the second one opened it back up). Please don't get scared...just because your test was inconclusive does not mean your tubes are blocked. It just means they have to do more testing. If it was me, I would want all the testing done before I put my time, money, and emotions into any treatments. Well, I don't know if that helped or not, but I hope it did.

I wish you the best of luck whatever path you take. Please keep us posted.

Holly

Old 11-27-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

deluka96 HB User

Hi Holly,

Thanks for the advise, I too thought it was a bit strange to endure all this when I am not even sure if I have a blocked tube. I brought it up several times to my RE and he recommended the IUI as the best option first. I will discuss this with him again today. When I have more information I will let you guys know. Thanks for you response it was very helpful

Old 11-27-2006, 10:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

deluka96 HB User

Hi Heyknack,

Yeah it was an HSG I had forgotten the name. My RE said that an repeat HSG would not change anything. Holly had some suggestions as what to do next and I will discuss with my RE again before I proceed. Since I already bought the injectibles for this month I may have to just do one more IUI before I proceed with the laparoscopy. Thanks for the response

Old 11-27-2006, 12:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

deluka96 HB User

Hi Blue eyed smarty!

Thanks for the response I did forgot to mention something important that my RE had told me regarding the laparoscopy. He said since I had gotton pregnant before (miscarried at 9 weeks last Feburary ) that he does not think it is necesary to do something as invasive as the lapo. I have had no full term pregnancies just one miscarriage. He is telling me to do 2 more IUI's before we do the lapo. Then if still nothing possible AF. I already made an appointment today with another RE for a 2nd opinion. If you or anyone else on the board has any more insight I would appreciate it

Thanks!

kathy

Old 11-28-2006, 04:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Hi Kathy,

The only thing I have to add is that I too was pregnant once. Sadly, my pregnancy was tubal and had to be terminated (that's how I lost one of my tubes). I always thought I would have no problem getting pregnant again, but it just didn't happen. Finally, after wasting years, we went to see the dr. You already know the rest - my other tube was blocked and had to be re-opened...I guess what I'm trying to get at is that just because you were able to become pregnant once doesn't mean other issues haven't developed since then...I know it's not the same exact situation, but I just thought it was worth mentioning. I'm very sorry for the loss you experienced, and I sincerely hope your dreams come true soon. I hope you don't think I'm pushing you towards a laparoscopy. I just wanted to share my experience as well. I figure it's always easier to make a difficult decision when you have other experiences to weigh.

Good luck to you and please keep us posted!!

Holly

Old 11-28-2006, 05:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

deluka96 HB User

Thanks Holly,

I don't think your pushing at all I really need to hear from people who have had similiar situations. Since the injections are already paid for we are just going to try one more time this month. I will not do any further tx beyond that before doing a laparoscopy. I am also seeing another RE for a second opinion and see what kind of treatment he proposes. Thanks again for all your support and I hope you have some good news of your own real soon !!!!

kathy

Old 11-28-2006, 06:22 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Thanks for the well wishing, Kathy . I'm hoping the same thing for all of us on this board. I'm glad you don't think my post was too persuasive, I was worried about that. I just felt you needed to hear what happened to me. Anyway, it sounds like you already have a good plan of action. It definitely makes sense to follow through with this cycle and then regroup if things don't work (which, hopefully they will ). I would continue on too if the meds were already paid for. What day are you on in your cycle?

Good luck to you ~ Sending baby dust your way

Holly

Old 11-28-2006, 07:05 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

deluka96 HB User

Hi Holly,

Thanks again!!! We'll see what happens.... I wish the same for all of you too!! I am so sorry for your miscarriage I know how devasting it can feel and especially when compounded with infertility. People who are not going through this find it hard to relate to our situation-finding this board was a blessing for me

As for my cycle day I am on day four. I had an blood work and u/s yesterday. Three follicles already... 2 at 12 and 1 at 9. I took the gonal f injection last night 100 cc and I am to take ganirelx and gonal F again today and tomorrow have a f/u appt for u/s and blood work. My main issue per my RE is that I ovulate too early in my cycle and my uterine lining does not have enough time to recover from my previous cycle before my follicles start developing-- so even if I were to fertilize an egg the chances of it attaching is less. The injections are to slow down the development of the follicles and to strengthen my uterine lining.

What day are you on Holly?? What treatement does your RE have you on??
Sorry for the long e-mail

Kathy

Old 11-28-2006, 08:05 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

No need to apologize, I can be long winded myself . I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I just wanted to clarify the miscarriage situation. I didn't exactly have a miscarriage, I had a tubal pregnancy. The difference is, the pregnancy didn't terminate itself, I had to have surgery to have it terminated because it wouldn't have carried to term and could have killed me. It was still a huge loss, much the same as a miscarriage, and it was very difficult to deal with. Thank you for your kind words. This board has also been a blessing to me. I don't know what I would do with nobody to talk to.

Anyway, to answer your questions I have no idea what cycle day I'm on . My last period was 10/16, and my lap (to unblock my tube) was 11/8. I haven't gotten my period since then, just a few days of spotting that started on the 15th. My f/u appt with my RE is tomorrow, so hopefully he can shed some light on this for me. Unblocking my tube was the first step for us. My RE thinks IVF would be our best bet, but it's not covered by my insurance and therefore not an option for us financially. We are going to try naturally and hope that my newly opened tube will make things happen for us...that is, if my period ever gets here . Funny how after all these years of wishing AF wouldn't show, I now can't wait to see her. Well, that's my story in a nutshell...I hope to add a BFP to the ending real soon.

It sounds like your cycle is progressing nicely. I hope the injections do their job and your eggs develop a little slower so your lining has time to catch up. If you're on CD 4, does that mean you will be finishing your 2ww around Christmas time?? How exciting!! I hope you get a BFP!! BABY DUST

Holly

Old 11-28-2006, 08:39 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

deluka96 HB User

Hi again

It sounds like your getting on the right path, now that your other tube has been unblocked I REALLY REALLY hope it works for you!!!! Now it's just waiting for AF. Waiting is so frustrating I hope your RE has good news for you. I was told IVF in 2 or 3 more cycles but I will probably keep trying this way for a little while longer first before I decide what I can do/afford next. IVF is so expensive it is just terrible that insurance does not pay Please keep us posted on what she/he says and that AF comes soon so that you can get started!!!

Well my 2ww should be right around x-mas time. I should be more positive about it but I 'm really nervous. Thanksgiving was a bummer so either I will have the best x-mas present ever or another sad holiday. Maybe Santa can bring us all some BFP's our way!!! It's on my x-mas list for all you guys on the board!!!

kathy

Closed Thread