HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Infertility (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/infertility/)
-   -   Sperm Count (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/infertility/456153-sperm-count.html)

JWMC 12-21-2006 01:55 PM

Sperm Count

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone ever came across this. My wife and I have been trying to get pregnant for a year. That being said, we haven't been trying die hard, just if it happened, it happened.

But just to see if either one of us has a physical problem, I had a sperm analysis done. Everything checked out except my number of normal sperm. Usually it's between 20-30% normal sperm in a male, mine was only 7%.

However, the number of sperm I had (I think per ML) was 315 million. Normal number is usually considered 40 million.

My doctor doesn't seem terribly worried about it, he told me it kind of evens out but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience and conceived.

My wife is going in next, but all her preliminary tests this year turned out okay.

ASPROUSEY05 12-21-2006 02:04 PM

Re: Sperm Count

my re told me that even tho normal morph is about 20-30% he usually only sees about 12% so even tho 7% is a lil low if you have normal motility and a high count that may not be causing a problem.. maybe you could start charting temps or using an opk to make sure you are bding at the right time! maybe bc your morph is slightly lower then wanted, you need to be doing it at exactly the right time :) and i kinga agree with your dr, like my dh count is real low 200,000 but his motility is about 50%.. so it is equivavlent to someone who maybe has about 1million sperm but lower motility.. (still to low to get me pg tho :( .. good luck and i hope you and your wife become preggo real soon!!!

laurunner 12-21-2006 04:52 PM

Hello. My DH actually has "low morphology" When he got his analysis done, his count was good, motility was good, but morphology was on the low side (I believe right around 7% too) Again, my RE doesn't seem too worried about it, but that is why he is having us do IUI, just to kind of help.

I know that his counts post wash for IUI have been around 40-60 million.

Good luck to you and your wife!

lahc1 12-21-2006 05:01 PM

Hi,

We have a similar experience but no luck concieving yet. My DH has low morphology too but his overall counts were super high like yours so we were told not to worry about it by all 3 of our doctors - the obGyn, Urologist, and RE. But 2 years of ttc naturally and nothing happend so we are doing IUIs now. After wash his numbers are still good because of the high count so that still doesn't seem to be the issue either. We are considered "unexplained" infertility. Hope that helps a bit and good luck!

Lori

JWMC 12-21-2006 05:18 PM

Thanks for the replies but first off--and I've been searching through previous posts so I'm getting a little better at the terminology--what does DH stand for? Designated Hitter? :)

I did the math and if normal sperm count for a man is 40 million and a normal morphology is 30%, that'd be 12 million viable sperm. If I have 315 million sperm and only 7% is viable, that's still 22 million viable sperm. Does that sound right?? Just seems weird. I have more freaks swimming around but still enough good ones to hopefully get the job done. :P

Course now my wife is freaked out that it's her. She couldn't conceive with her first husband but her ex-sister-in-law just told her last month that he couldn't conceive with his new wife and he went in and he has no sperm whatsoever so I'm trying to calm her nerves.

How is artificial insemination? Is that what IUI means? Very invasive and painful or minimal? I think we'd be willing to go that route if we still can't conceive naturally but I don't think we could afford IVF. I think we'd look into adoption before that.

monikab 12-21-2006 06:31 PM

Hey,
Your SA (morphology classification) was probably based on WHO 1992 criteria (good enough when 30% forms are normal). Try to do another SA when they do morphology test based on Krugers criteria (unfortunatelly a little bit more expensive~$175-200 and mostly not covered by insurance companies). This test will show the strict criteria (14%normal forms is consider great acording to Krugers). My husband had SA done and according to WHO he had 59% of good forms (not bad we thought). He did it again (WHO) and he had only 11% of good forms. He did it for the third time (WHO and Krugers that time) and the results were scary....it was only 2% morphology based on WHO and 0%based on Krugers. He will have one more Krugers SA to confirm, but it looks like we will only have one option -IVF with ICSI.
Monika

laurunner 12-22-2006 12:42 AM

Hello. As far as the terminology, don't worry, I had to look up about every abbreviation when I first started looking at these boards. DH=dear husband

Artificial insemination is what IUI is. IUI stands for intra-uterine insemination. It is not painful. Some compare it to the same as felt during a routine pap smear. They place a speculum to open the cervix and then inject the sperm with this long, thin catheter into the uterus. It's really not as bad as it sounds. And as far as cost, it is much more affordable than IVF. My Dr. has me do two back to back IUI's and it is 250 per each one, so 500 altogether. I've heard though that IUI's are typically 250-300.

Hope this helps.

ASPROUSEY05 12-22-2006 04:42 AM

just a question about cost, you said iui costs 250-300... that isnt including your meds correct?? because i heard iui is closer to 2500-3000... just a quickie question.. :)

laurunner 12-22-2006 06:35 AM

Hey. The 250 is just the cost of the IUI procedure. As far as meds, I'm only on Clomid and the HCG trigger, but I think my copay for the clomid is like $10 or 15 and then the HCG trigger is always like 40 or 45. I know that if you are doing injectables, those can be quite a bit more expensive. I have not done these yet, so I don't know if that's where the higher costs you are talking about are from or what. Honestly, I probably spend more on HPT's than I do on meds! :) haha

S&J 12-22-2006 07:08 PM

Hello there..my DH has poor morphology and post wash his highest number has been 10mil..we conceived our ds with 4.2mil....
I wish you and your DW(Dear Wife :)) the best!
S :)

jojo118 12-05-2007 11:39 AM

given us hope thanks.. dh sperm count was 9.9mill after wash the first day and 12.7mill the 2nd day we did back to back iuis.. is those # ok afterwash? i wonder what they were before wash.. well i had 2 good eggs i was told and now im on my2ww wait..

S&J 12-05-2007 04:20 PM

Those numbers are great!
Good Luck on your 2ww!!
Baby dust your way :)
S :)