It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
(female)

ivana27 HB User
Natural IUI success?

Hi,
Just like a lot of you around here I feel a bit down. My first IUI failed and I don't understand why. We had great sperm and 6 follies (silly me, I was worried about triplets!
Now my doctor said it's better to take a break from ovarian stimulation and do a natural IUI. Anybody knows of any success stories with that? I am thinking my chances are very low since I didn't get pregnant with injectables, how is it going to happen without?
I have a SHG (sonohysterography) planned, maybe I get some answers from that on my infertility. Anybody had one done, what can I expect?

Ivana

Old 03-01-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

deluka96 HB User
Re: Natural IUI success?

Hi Ivana,

I am so sorry your 1st IUI didn't work. I remember the 1st time I did IUI and it failed I was really disappointed too. But that does not mean you won't get a BFP when you try again!! My co-worker get pregnant after 10 years of infertility on her 2nd IUI!!! I am not sure what a "natural IUI" is do you mean timed intercourse??? I think it is a great idea to have SHG. My cousin just had that done yesterday and said it was way easier than the HSG. I have not had it done but maybe some-one else can comment on that for you. Has DH been tested??? I too thought I should get pregnant right away with injectibles but remember that with IUI your chances increase from 20% TTC on your own to 25% with IUI so don't be so hard on yourself. With 6 follies you had a great response maybe just may have not have implanted. Hang in there you still have so many options ok!!! I hope al goes well for your nexr cycle and that your feeling better soon.

kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CBB HB User

Hi Ivana.

When is your sonohysterogram scheduled for? I just posted yesterday asking if anyone had had one before but no one replied. Mine is scheduled for Tuesday. If I go before you I can report back and tell you all about it. As far as natural IUI success, it obviously won't work for me because I am starting IVF now. I hope it works for you!

Last edited by CBB; 03-01-2007 at 11:00 AM.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #4
(female)

ivana27 HB User

hi,

natural IUI means unmedicated. We don't know what's preventing us from getting pregnant other than my husband's sperm having a bit low motility, so we hope washing might help. But then again I am not 100 % sure I ovulate on my own, although ovulation kits showed an LH surge in the past.

Sonohysterography is done to check what's up inside, if there are any polyps, uterine abnormalities related to my infertility. It is also for tubal patency, though doctors are still debating if it's as effective as HSG. Since I am scared to death of HSG (because of pain and risks like perforating the uterus) my doctor said SHG is a good start. I googled it and seems to be effective in diagnosting infertility causes and better tolerated.

Ivana

Old 03-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
(female)

ivana27 HB User

Kathy, thanks for so much your support! I've been reading your posts and I'm sure you helped a lot of us.

***, good lock with your SHG Tuesday, maybe you post after. I am programmed for Monday.

I've just heard a very sad story that made me feel lucky. A friend has a 12 year old girl and she was having some problems, did't grow properly, was very fragile. After several tests turned out she doesn't have OVARIES!!! Can you imagine that? She will never have children for sure, not to mention other health problems. It is very, very sad and I thank God I have all my organs in place.

We are all very lucky and I am sure one day we will be blessed with children. The question is when?...

Ivana

Old 03-01-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Mapia74 HB User

Hi Ivana sorry to hear that u have to go through this.But my question is I see many girls here saying they will do an HSG after failed IUIs.My re demanded I get one done otherwise he would not perform the iuis.He said if there is a blockage IUI is pointless so u will be throwing money away and not only that the heartache of a BFN every month.So I did it yeah its uncomfortable but what can u do at least I know I am fine and have no problems.

So sorry to be so up front but it makes me mad that some RE's do IUI's without making sure everything is ok in there.Just how I feel.I hope u can find some answers with ur SHG.I hope all is well in there.Good luck and I hope u get ur BFP soon.

Mapia

Old 03-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

CBB HB User

Mapia I am with you.

Ivana - my RE insisted on an HSG before I ever even started injectables and insisted on a laparoscpoy before he would do IUI. Now the new one, even though he has seen i am all clear from the previous tests, also wants the sonohysterogram done before IVF. each test is a little different and i guess they can all tell different things about your body. so i would have all those tests done first to save yourself the heartache of trying for months and not knowing if everything is all right inside.

good luck monday with the SHG. Let me know how it goes and i will let you know how mine goes too.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

ALM HB User

Hi Ivana. I did a natural IUI last month w/ RE b/c I started seeing him in the middle of my cycle before ovulation and I was so excited to get started that we went ahead and did the IUI. It didn't work and now I am kind of disappointed that we wasted our $$ on that one. I feel like that if I had just waited until this month, now on Femara, then we could have done an IUI w/ possibly more success. We are having to do a timed intercourse cycle this month b/c we are out of $$ right now for IUI.

But, just b/c mine didn't work, doesn't mean that yours wouldn't. I think it just has to be your decision. I understand why you wouldn't want to feel like you were wasting the month just doing timed intercourse, but maybe since you are taking a break from the meds, you could just try the timed intercourse and see if you might get lucky. But, like I said, your decision... that is just my two cents.

Anna Leigh

Old 03-02-2007, 06:00 AM   #9
(female)

ivana27 HB User

Thanks Anna Leigh,
I don't know what to do. I have a new doctor, mine is out of country, and I'll ask her advice today. I wouldn't want to spend money and hopes, you do have a point there...
Maybe the new doctor finds out at least why are we infertile.
best of luck to everybody,
Ivana

Closed Thread