It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 06:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User
Another Injection Question

Okay, I read that follistim stings pretty bad, and now I'm getting nervous.

Anybody with any experience on the following injections, please give me your honest opinions about how bad it is:

*Follistim
*Menopur
*Lupron

Thanks for any responses. I appreciate it!

Holly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2007, 06:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lahc1 HB User
Re: Another Injection Question

Hi Holly,

I've done 3 cycles of follistim so far and it is a piece of cake. My pre-injection nerves were way worse than the acutual injection.

One BIG piece of advice: Leave the follistim out of the fridge for about 2 hours before your injection. It only stings when it's cold. I usually take mine out at dinner time and then get the inj around 8pm and it's fine. The only time it's ever stung is when I forgot to take it out and had to do it cold. Ouch!

I would imagine if the others are cold then it would do the same thing but I have never used them.

Good luck!

Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2007, 06:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CBB HB User

Hey Holly.
The lupron is a piece of cake. those tiny little needles are nothing to sweat. and it has never burned me ever and i have done it for 6 cycles. i wish they were all as easy as lupron.

i had a hard time with follistim. not the needle, it is still small, but the burning. but when i went to my new RE and told them, they said to me, Gee we've never had a patient complain of burning on follistim. so they asked me if i was using the pen, and i said no, the syringes, the old school way and they told me since then they had reformulated it and the stuff in the pen was easy as pie. wish i had known that. and also i was using 4 vials at a time, not sure if that mattered. i was getting 2 injections a day of it too. definitely get it to room temp before hand. i waited about an hour. and of course iced my leg until it was numb. this time i am trying Bravelle since i was afraid to try follistim again. i hope my body responds to it well. but i haven't heard of many people experiencing what i did so maybe i am just a freak.

are you doing any IM shots?

Old 04-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Viktorria HB User

Hi Holly,

I can only provide info on the Lupron shots, but they are no big deal. Very little side effects (some minor hot flashes) and the injections are a piece of cake. I had my husband inject them into the back of my arm, or I would put them in my stomache. I was really queasy about putting something into my belly, but it really turned out to be completely painless for me and became the spot of choice. Good luck!

Old 04-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

JAM82 HB User

Hi,

I use puregon 100mg injections once a day.I def think the belly is better-much less pain.
I think it will depend on what type of needle you use, i have two pens one has the needle showing at the bottom and one doesnt the one with the needle showing is a multi dose and you pinch the skin and dont really feel it going in and the one you dont see the needle is a little more painfull but not much-you get so used to it, i was terrified of needles but they dont bother me anymore!

The side effects i have experienced are hot flushes,migranes(which is normal for anyone who usually suffers from them)and have been very emotional.
Anyone else getting these side effects?
x

x

Last edited by JAM82; 04-20-2007 at 07:32 AM.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Cubed HB User

Hi Holly!

I am so excited to see that things on the IVF track are progressing right along for you. You're in my prayers for a BFP!

I think I was particularly sensitive to injections bc ones that were not supposed to hurt really burned for me. I used lupron (for one cycle), Gonal-F and Menopur.

The lupron didn't sting at all. The Gonal-F and Menopur really did burn. I know this sounds ridiculous -- but after a while, you just sort of get used to it (unfortunately).

My tips for these injections are as follows: (1) sometimes it helped to ice the injection site for about 10 minutes prior to the injection to sort of numb the area a bit, (2) after you alcohol the injection site (which is before you administer the shot), make sure that the alcohol dries COMPLETELY before you give yourself (or DH gives you) the shot. Injecting when the alcohol is NOT dry adds to the stinging (you can fan the area with your hand to speed up the drying, but obviously don't blow on the area because you've got germs in your breath), and (3) when you are preparing your injection and use the plunger to push the medication to the top of the syringe (do you know what I mean? You prepare the needle for injection and push the medication to the top and a little bit comes out of the needle), make sure you flick the syringe (not on the needle of course, but on the plastic part) to flick off the drops of medication that get pushed out of the needle. If you inject yourself with medication still on the outside of the needle, that hurts.

Good luck, Holly! I wish you much success this cycle ...

Last edited by Cubed; 04-20-2007 at 07:50 AM.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Thank you ALL so much!! Boy do I feel relieved! My nurse advised me the same thing about taking the meds out of the fridge an hour or so before injecting, so I will be sure to do that!

CBB, I feel so silly admitting this, but I don't know what IM shots are...I know they mean intramuscular, but I don't know where that is...I was advised to take the lupron in the side of my thigh and the follistim and menopur in the belly. I assumed in the thigh was IM, but I'm really not sure.

Cubed, hi!! It's great to hear from you again - hope all is still going well with your pg! You must be getting close to your due date. I do understand what you were saying about preparing the needle, but I did not know that you should flick the syringe to get any drops off the outside of the needle. So thanks for that advice!

I feel much better about the injections after reading all your posts, so thanks again! I appreciate all the advice so much!!

Holly

Old 04-20-2007, 08:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

CBB HB User

Hey Holly.
The IM shots I do are the HCG trigger and the PIO shots. I do them in the hip/butt area. I was once told not to do them in the thigh area if i ever wanted to walk again! the needles are one and a half inches long and quite thick so i don't see the thigh as being a good spot.
all the sub-Q needles are much thinner and shorter so they work good in the thigh. i do lupron in the top of my thigh but not IM, it is sub-Q. the needles are so tiny they could never reach a muscle. so maybe you will be spared the IM shots? that would be the luckiest thing!
did you get something for your trigger shot? and remind me, are you doing progesterone supplements or not?

Old 04-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Hmmm, I don't remember seeing any really large needles during my education appt. I will have to look at everything when it comes in...Maybe I'll ask my nurse the next time I speak with her. Oh, I hope I'm being spared that!!

I do Ovidrel rather than the HCG trigger. That's a small needle, and I don't mind it at all. I am going to be on prometrium supplements for progesterone (it's a vaginal pill...kind of messy, but I will take it ANY day over PIO). I don't think I have to do the PIO (thank God!!! I've heard the horror stories). My lining was really good for my IUI, and I was on clomid, so I think we are just going with the proometrium.

At one point, I will have to put patches on my bottom that I change every 3 days, but I can't for the life of me remember what they are called or even what they are for. Any ideas?

Holly

Old 04-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Viktorria HB User

Holly - just a side note, I saw that they told you to put the lupron in your thigh. For whatever reason, it burned when I put it in my thigh. My arm and belly were both fine, but my thigh hurt for about 30 minutes after wards, so I never did that again.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:04 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Thanks Viktorria! I'm gonna try it in my thigh first cuz I want to do what they tell me to do, but I will DEFINITELY keep that in mind! If the thigh hurts, I'll switch to the belly. No sense going through unnecessary pain...

Holly

Old 04-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

CBB HB User

i wonder if the patches are estrogen? i've heard of them before but not sure how they fit in with an IVF cycle.
I have PIO shots afterwards and also crinone gel twice a day. i am not real fond of the idea of sticking gel up there twice a day but you know i'll do what i have to do. I do the HCG as an IM shot. that one isn't bad. last time i took prometrium but orally. seems like no doctors do the same thing. and believe me, if you were going to do IM shots you'd see 22 gauge 1.5 inch needles in your stuff. and you'd know what they were for

Old 04-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

They might be estrogen patches. I'll let you know when I get my meds delivered next week. Yeah, I know what you mean about sticking stuff up there - I feel the same way about the prometrium pills, but I'm just counting myself lucky that I don't have to do the PIO. I really don't know if I would have the strength to go through that. I guess we always manage to surprise ourselves though, don't we?

Closed Thread