It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
(female)

denay79 HB User
?'s about metformin

Well some brief info......me 28 dh 30 -we have been TTC for well over a year now and i was recently dx w/ pcos. I am beginning the metformin tomorrow(500mg 2x/day). I was told all about the side effects, which i am not thrilled about but that is the least of my concerns. My dr. says she would like me to try the metformin for 3-4 months. If nothing then we'll consider clomid. She never really mentioned any type of sucess rate. I know every case is different. Has anyone here been able to concieve w/ just the metformin & how long did it take. I just feel I am delaying the fact that it won't work and that more time will have slipped by.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
(female)

joyiui HB User
Re: ?'s about metformin

I have a 3 year old and conceived her via IUI 4 years ago. I had gone thru 6 IUI cycles -- so you can imagine I was ready to give up. I had been asking from the beginning for my dr to put me on metformin (because I had heard of so many success stories with people being on it) but he said it would not help me Finally, after the 5th IUI failure, he diagnosed me with PCOS. I have all the symptoms; just not the cysts. Needless to say, I took it for a couple of months and on my next (6th) IUI cycle, my miracle daughter arrived. 3 years later, I am going to try IUI again. My dr. put me back on metformin right away for a minimum of 6 weeks before trying. We are towards the end of our 1st IUI cycle and I find out on Monday if it works.

One thing I do recommend to you in regards to your health -- make sure your dr. tests your liver enzymes every once in a while. Metformin tends to give you elevated liver enzymes (it did for me back then and they monitored that very closely). Just a suggestion. I hope it works for you like it worked for me the 1st time. I just hope it works one more time for me

Keep me posted.

Joy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
(female)

SHARON74 HB User

Its worth a go, I am 32 with PCOS and have been on Metformin. We have been TTC for 6 years and have done the clomid thing etc. Anyway...

The metformin may make you a bit sick/ diahorrea but the best thing is to gradually up the dose. ie 1 for 1 week, 2 1 week, 3 next week. Thats what my DR did and it helped, I found if I persevered the side effects did go away. not taking on an empty stomach is also best.

Its probably worth trying with clomid 1st, I only have one tube (due to ectopic preg 5 years ago) and remaining tube is scarred so IVF is only thing for me but it may work for you and if does will save the costand hassle of IVF.

If you are on Metformin for a while while trying the Clomid and it doesn't work you will be ready for IVF anyway, as they say the Metformin increases the effectivness of the IVF drugs also.

Because the Metformin helps with insulin resistance it can also help with weight loss efforts. I don't know if this is an issue for you, but with PCO it may be. I found it really helped and I lost 20kg (40 pounds) which had not happened previously despite same diet/exercise effort.

I only came off it in hospital due to liver starting to fail with OHSS (nothing to do with metformin).

Hope this helps, good luck

Old 05-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
(female)

denay79 HB User

thx soooo much for the input. I really appreciate knowing that it isn't a waste a time. I'm glad to hear a sucess story. I have struggled with the weight lose as well despite the fact that I diet and excercise....if nothing else it may help get my body in a healthier state for the next step. Thanks again for all the help. Best wishes to all.....and baby dust!

Last edited by denay79; 05-26-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jackstersmom HB User

I too am 28 & my dh 30! I've been on Metformin since January and have not ovulated with just that. I ovulated when taking Femara (Letrozole) two months, but didn't get pregnant and now am taking Clomid to try and ovulate. I have a 2-year old son who I conceived while taking Metformin and using injectables. I'm hoping this time that the Clomid works so I don't have to do injectables again since they are soooo expensive. Have you had regular periods? Mine have always been very, very irregular. God luck!

Old 05-28-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
(female)

denay79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstersmom View Post
I too am 28 & my dh 30! I've been on Metformin since January and have not ovulated with just that. I ovulated when taking Femara (Letrozole) two months, but didn't get pregnant and now am taking Clomid to try and ovulate. I have a 2-year old son who I conceived while taking Metformin and using injectables. I'm hoping this time that the Clomid works so I don't have to do injectables again since they are soooo expensive. Have you had regular periods? Mine have always been very, very irregular. God luck!
My cycles used to be reguler and seem to be changing over to irregular. I was so excited becasue i am usually right on time that the first time i was 4 days late i thought i finally got pregnant. Now i know better than to get my hopes up. Hopefully the metformin will help adjust that.

Closed Thread