It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
(female)

safallow HB User
My question is if any of you think another surgery is worth it or not.

I don't know if you ladies remember my posts about my upcoming surgery, but I had my lap on Tuesday. When they got in my abodomen, I had a lot of adhesions, and my ovary was covered with my small bowel. They closed me back up and rescheduled my surgery for July when a gyn oncologist could be there along with my reproductive doc to help get the bowel moved. My question is if any of you think another surgery is worth it or not. My fear is that a lot of my pain is caused by the adhesion pain and bowel involvement rather than the endo. And if it is being caused by those things, another surgery will just make the adhesions worse and what is there to stop my bowel from ending up all stuck to everything again? Plus, my doc really don't know that it will help my fertiltiy at all. And if it is not going to help my fertility or my pain, why should I have an open abdominal surgery again? Any advice or similar experiences would be really appreciated that would be great.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-09-2007 at 03:34 PM. Reason: please do not ask members to violate the posting rules

Old 06-08-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jsquared HB User
Re: My question is if any of you think another surgery is worth it or not.

I also have endo. Maybe we can be a support for each other. I had a lap in Feb. I was diagnosed with stage III/IV. My uterus on the right side is stuck up against my bladder. They did not fix this because my RE was afraid to put whole in my bladder. I had endo on my ovaries and they removed it. I also have a little blockage in my right fallopian tube. To tell you the truth the surgery has not helped my pain at all and as for fertility we have not succeeded in getting our BFP. We are now stating IVF. We were told our best bet to get pg is 6 mos after surgery. When they do the transfer it will be exactly 6 mos.

How long have you been trying? What stage did your doctor say you had? This whole endo sucks!!! IF, pain, surgeries. I wish you the best of luck. I can't really tell you if you should have another surgery. Just go with your gut and educate yourself the best you can. After my surgery my RE wanted me really to go on Lupron for 6 mos. I was going to until I went with my gut after really researching it.

Jill

Last edited by moderator2; 06-09-2007 at 03:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Viktorria HB User
Re: My question is if any of you think another surgery is worth it or not.

Safallow, I have endo too, stage III/IV. My first lap was to remove a cyst. I had no other symptoms of endo and when they opened me up, I was covered in it. They cut most of it and within 2 years (and some IVF) I got pregnant.

Immedately after having my son I went on continuous birth control, I only take the sugar pills 2 or 3 times a year to get a period. When my son was about 6 months old I started having really bad pains in my ovary. Sneezing and coughing were excruciating - it felt like someone had crushed my ovary. I did some research online and began to feel like my pain was not from endo (especially since I'd never had it before), but from adhesions from my surgery. I finally agreed to another lap and I was right - my ovary was glued to my bowel from the adhesions. I had a few spots of endo, but the birth control did a good job - very little regrowth. My pain was strictly from the adhesions. They cut them out, separated my bowel from my ovary, and my pain is now almost non-existent.

My advice is, if you decide to go through the surgery,make sure you have someone highly qualified to do it. My first time was with my regular OB, and while I'm sure he knew what he was doing, it was not his specialty and I fully believe that he caused my adhesions. An RE who specializes in fertility surgery would probably be a much better choice.

Good Luck!

Last edited by moderator2; 06-09-2007 at 03:35 PM.

Closed Thread