It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
(female)

asileen HB User
Can you still ovulate while taking follistim but not trigger?

Hello,

I have been on follistim for 12 days, and my dr. told me not to trigger because there were too many large follicles. Can I still ovulate without the trigger shot? Will it take longer? I am on cycle day 16 and tried an ovulation predictor test the past two days and haven't gotten a positive reading. The dr. said I may or may not ovulate on my own. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Mapia74 HB User
Re: Can you still ovulate while taking follistim but not trigger?

Hi Asileen,

Welcome to the boards.Well to try and answer your question yes it is possible to ovulate even though you dont trigger.Now all your follies might not release but maybe 1 or 2 or 3 who really knows.I would defently bd with DH you never know.At least this way the cycle isent a total waste.BTW why were you on follistim for so many days?12 days seems like an awful lot to be on follistim.I remember I was only on it for a few days.Maybe 5 or 6 days I dont recall now.In any case good luck.

Mapia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
(female)

asileen HB User

Well the first time I was on it for nine days, 225 mg. And I didn't get pregnant. Then this time I was on for nine days, 225 mg. and my follies weren't big enough and the weekend was approaching so the dr. changed my dose to 150 mg for the weekend. When I went back on monday for my US they were too big apparently. But I usually ovulate on the 14th, 15th day, so thats why I was wondering if maybe I will ovulate later? Since its already the 16th day of my cycle. What do you think?? But thank you, will definetly start trying tonight!!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

PrincessSweetNS HB UserPrincessSweetNS HB UserPrincessSweetNS HB UserPrincessSweetNS HB User

Hi and welcomes!!! I am so sorry, I can't answer your question, but I just wanted to say welcome and I hope you get your miracle really soon!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kjmrfld HB User

Hi Asileen,

Yes it is possible to ovulate without the trigger. My third IUI cycle, I went in for the IUI to see if it was time for the trigger, and the doctor did the ultrasound, and I had already ovulated on my own. So, I was not given the trigger that month, and I DID get pg. So, definately continue and BD because it is possible!!

Kelley

Old 01-17-2008, 06:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Namibia HB User

Hi Asileen and welcome to the board. You can ovulate without trigger. My last cycle on Gonal-F (same as follistim) My cycle was cancelled because my follicles did not grow past 10mm (my cycle was cancelled on cd19). I injected for 16 days, I had a progesterone test on cd31 when AF failed to show and it was positive or O. I O'ed on cd 25/26. I also had a 40 day cycle. So do not give up BD anyway maybe you are lucky and catch an egg somewhere down the line.

Good luck

Charlene

Old 01-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
(female)

asileen HB User

ok great, this is encouraging news. So, I could ovulate sometime later too, not just around the usual 14 day mark? Should I continue to use OPK? Or is that just a waste of time?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Hi Asileen & welcome to the boards.

You can ovulate at different times each cycle, so there is definitely a chance you will still O at day 16. Sending you lots of positive thoughts & baby dust!! Have fun BD'ing!! Oh, about your question on the OPK's. I would say go ahead and use them. Couldn't hurt. Good luck!

Holly

Old 01-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kjmrfld HB User

I would definately keep using the OPKs. My 3rd cycle where I ovulated on my own, without the trigger, I O'd on day 17. The trigger really just helps them to 'time' your ovulation to when they want it to be.

Good luck!!

Old 01-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
(female)

asileen HB User

thank you so much, tjis has all been so helpful. I was thinking I wouldnt ovulate at all and was so upset that this would have been a wasted month.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #11
(female)

asileen HB User

I'm on cycle day 18 and I have been using an OPK since day 14 and I haven't gotten a positive result yet. What do you guys think, is it possible that it might not come up positive if i already did? Or do you think its still too early and I still might ovulate?

Old 01-18-2008, 04:47 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

I think both are possibilities. You could've O'd before you started testing, but if not, you could still O after day 18. Not much help, am I? It seems w/ IF anything is possible, so I would just say to keep testing & hope for the best. It ain't over until AF shows up. Wishing you lots of good luck. Let us know how things turn out.

Holly

Closed Thread