It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hotmama08 HB User
Insurance Providers that covers Fertility Treatments in USA

Hi ladies,

I have been searching the web for a type of insurance that covers fertility treatments as well as IVF cycles.
My friend just told me last week that her coworker changed to HMO because they pay for fertility. So when I was at the RE's office today, I asked the billing clerk what specific insurance covers fertility treatments coz Im sure they have patients that are covered fully if not partly by certain insurance.
She said HMO in Illinois is state mandated to offer and cover fertility but it still depends on what type of insurance and plan and provider one is enrolled with and she cant checked it for me unless I am enrolled. Well, I said that didnt really help me, thats why Im asking if they have patients with a specific insurance that pays fertility because mine UNITED HEALTH CARE PPO only paid the initial screening test and exams. After that, everything is out of pocket
So I guess, I would like to know someone who is actually on that specific plan and provider. I will also asked the human resource office of our company and the social worker, maybe they can help me....

Last edited by hotmama08; 01-18-2008 at 07:22 PM.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Phillypainter HB User
Re: Insurance Providers that covers Fertility Treatments in USA

I know Aetna does NOT, they are really starting to suck. They don't want to pay for anything. The receptionist at my RE's office said Keystone does. I'm not sure if that is just a Pennsylvania company. I think they are the same as blue cross which is good.
Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
(female)

mma2roo HB User

I'm in southern indiana and we are on a plan thru hubby's work that is covering at 50%--it is a locally owned helath plan

Last edited by moderator2; 01-18-2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: please read the rules - do not ask members to do it for you

Old 01-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hotmama08 HB User

Im wondering if HUMANA PPO Preferred which is the insurance DH has covers fertility. I think they dont really include fertility in their benefits but Im wondering if they will offer that separately. My plan right now is Choice One of United Health Care and only paid the basic screening test. Once the diagnosis was made, everything was out of pocket.

HUMANA HMO is also offered at DH's company and we are seriously considering changing insurance if the benefits are for sure. I will call HR and find out.

Last edited by hotmama08; 01-18-2008 at 07:31 PM.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kjmrfld HB User

I have Oxford/freedom access, which covers screenings, and IUI's. That has helped a lot. However, they don't cover anything related to IVF, unfortunately, and that's where we're headed. It's really infuriating, I know.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
(female)

want2beamama HB User

I have Horizon Blue Cross/Blue Shield of NJ, PPO . I pay a $20 co-pay for every visit which can add up when you are going 4-5 times before each IUI cycle. The good news is they cover unlimitted IUI's, but only 2 IVF cycles.
For meds, I pay the entire cost out of pocket and submit receipts for 80% reimbursement. I am on my 2ww for my 4th IUI...if this month isn't a BFP we will do 2 more cycles of IUI before talking about a "new plan". Good Luck!!

Old 01-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

hotmama08 HB User

I wonder if Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois covers that as well just like the NJ one you have want2beamama. I dont get coverage for anything in United Health Care.

Gonal-f RFF Pen 300 IU cost $219 in freedom drug online pharmacy which is cheaper than walgreens or other retail pharmacy and they ship by fedex same day for free. Ovidrel shot is $45 and Progesterone Suppositories twice a day over 2 weeks is $220

IUI with sperm washing alone cost $250 and the frequent ultrasounds and bloodworks is costing us more or less $1000 each month.
And if we remained unsuccessful with IUI's, IVF is our next plan and that would really drain us financially

Last edited by hotmama08; 01-19-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kjmrfld HB User

Want2beamamma - Thanks for the info -- I live in NJ and at my work they have Horizon BC/BS, but I have Oxford through DH because we thought it was better (but it doesn't cover IVF at all). I am going to check into it... I know there are different levels of insurance and maybe mine at work doesn't cover IVF, but if it does, that's great to know! Thanks!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
(female)

silver22 HB User

DH and I work for the same company, so we don't have the option to see who has better choices. We have Empire Blue Cross / Blue Shield PPO. We have a 20% coinsurance for each appt, covers b/w and some tests. Fertility treatments (IUI and IVF) are covered at 50%, up to a lifetime maximum of $10,000.00, which we all know, will not go very far. Our IUI out of pocket costs are about $800, and we are going to try 4, then move on to IVF w/ ICSI, which is probably the only way we will get our bfp. So, 4 x $800, brings us to $3,200, and $5,700 out of pocket for IVF (after the 50% coverage), that's about all we get covered. Maybe we can squeeze in an extra IUI Anything after that would be 100% out of pocket. It's not so bad, considering some of you girls are not covered at all. However, it's not great coverage either.

Closed Thread