It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hazel 74 HB User
1st RE consult... don't know whether to be happy/disappointed

So we had our 1st consult with an RE (thus far I've only been casually talking to my reg gynae). We moved on to an RE after my DH's SA results showed low morphology of 1% (everything else looked great).

We chose to go to one of the best clinics in our city. The RE (who heads their IVF program) took one look at the SA results and said we had nothing much to worry about yet (!!!!!)... he says the criteria used in the testing is so strict that most men would be classified as low morph so he gave DH some vitamins etc. and said to go for another SA a month from now.

He also did a scan on me and confirmed that all looked good (except perhaps some small polyps). Ovulation was ready to happen with my follicle measuring 22.8mm (temps have confirmed that I did O that day! - so must have been later that day).

Next steps -- the SA (as mentioned above) and he's booked a HSG for me "if we are not successfull this month" (I was thinking hey you think after 21mos. it is still going to happen!!!! ).

SO -- our next appt with him is at the end of my NEXT cycle -- so two more chances before then!... and the second of those will be post-HSG.

On the one hand, I am happy that our situation does not seem as "grave" as we thought when we got the SA results. I am also happy that he has taken a "common sense" route of first doing HSG etc...... BUT.... I am also bit disappointed that we are "wasting time" if indeed we DO need IVF/ICSI.

On the other hand - Had he been gung-ho to start off on IVF immediately I might have thought he was just making money out of us....

... sigh -- so confusing... anyway - for now then, we just continue with our usual efforts and I am already "mentally preparing" for the HSG after (If? ) AF arrives... DH meanwhile is doing a great job with the vits!!!

SORRY for the long post (if you're still reading!!) - just wanted to update you all -- just feel confused about whether we should be speeding up!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2008, 05:05 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Phillypainter HB User
Re: 1st RE consult... don't know whether to be happy/disappointed

Hi Hazel,
I felt the same way as you, I was so happy I did finally see an RE. DH actually saw a urologist before I saw an RE. He has low mobility and the urologist (jerk) told him that we should have no problem getting pregnant with IUI but that isn't the case. We have had 3 failed attemps and my RE says the urologist was wrong in saying that. DH didn't make the up either, I have a letter from the urologist to the RE saying that since I hadn't been checked out yet, the problem was most likely with me. I just wanted to go there and ask this guy where he got his medical degree from. RE has been helpful, she suggested "fertility blend for men" vitamins, he has been taking them as well as cutting out caffine and his mobility has improved some so I'm confident the vitamins will help your husband.
Good luck!
Jennifer

Old 02-04-2008, 06:07 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Mapia74 HB User

Hi Hazel I think its wonderful news that your situation is not as bad as you might have thought.Just try and relax and have fun bding these next 2 months.Sometimes all this stress causes IF as well.I think your RE is wonderful in suggesting you try on your own first.Goes to show that he is an honest RE.I would defently be happy if I were you.So good luck and I hope you get that BFP this month.

Mapia

Old 02-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kjmrfld HB User

Hi Hazel,

I'm so happy you've met with the RE and that it's a good clinic! I know it can be frustrating because you want to get started right away, but I think that it's good that the RE wants to start off a little more slowly, and to do ALL of the proper testing first. It's also great news that the RE didn't seem discouraged at any of the results he's seen so far.

But, I am still hoping for a surprise BFP from you on your own! How great would that be? So, welcome to the 2ww, and I'll be thinking of you!!!!

Kelley

Old 02-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Hi Hazel,

I agree w/ you and the other girls that it's a relief to hear your issues are not as serious as you previously thought. That's definitely good news!! I completely understand your yearning to move full speed ahead, but I also think it's very smart of your dr to get the remaining testing out of the way before moving onto more serious treatment. It sounds like you're in excellent hands, and I would be very surprised if your bfp doesn't come to you in the very near future. Wishing you and DH all the best!!

Holly

Old 02-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

PrincessSweetNS HB UserPrincessSweetNS HB UserPrincessSweetNS HB User

Hi Hazel!! I think you (and the other ladies) are completley right. It's great news that the situation isn't as grave as you thought it would be! it's wonderful that you have even more reason to hope now! I can understand your feelign that maybe you shoudl be more aggressive, but it's really for your best that your dr is taking the necessary steps before you do. But this isn't wasting time, it's building you up and making you stronger, and that's veing VERY proactive. Your BFP is defiinitely on its way with this wonderful doctor, he sounds really very trustworthy!

Old 02-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cashahn HB User

Oh Hazel thats great that you have found a good RE and I really hope the vitamins work and you get your BFP very soon. I pray you wont need to go through IVF. All the best.

Cashahn xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 02-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #8
(female)

silver22 HB User

Hazel - I definitely want to mention that the vitamins should help. I know my DH had low counts (26 mil / 6 mil) back in July and Aug 07. Low morph and motility too. He's been taking vitamins for a few months now, and for our last IUI his count went up to 40 mil (his best ever) and the morphology increased too.

DH thinks I'm crazy with the green tea, pineapple juice, yams.....but I just tell him to keep taking the vitamins because they are working!

Good luck to you, Hazel. I hope you get your BFP before you get the HSG scheduled

silver

Old 02-05-2008, 01:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rubynz HB User

Hi Hazel

I agree with the other girls - it sounds to me as though you have a very caring and thoughtful RE who is putting your best interests first. I know you are probably feeling disappointed after gearing yourself up for IVF but you may just get your BFP without having to go through all of that.

I would be really interested to hear what vitamins your hubby is taking. My DH has a slightly lowered sperm count and although he has been taking vitamins he is a bit slack and I have to give him a good boot up the **** sometimes!

Good luck and here's hoping that you get your BFP this month!

Ruby

Last edited by rubynz; 02-05-2008 at 01:40 AM.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hazel 74 HB User

So touched by all your replies and your support THANKS SO MUCH! you gals are the BESTEST!!!!

Will keep checking that DH takes his vits and will continue to hope and pray... 3 dpo today!

Strangely, the stress is LESS this month 'cos we know that we prob will not be able to do it by ourselves - but yet at the same time there is some hope for a miracle

Happy to have everyone's company on the 2ww thread... no matter the outcome!

Last edited by Hazel 74; 02-05-2008 at 04:15 AM.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kjmrfld HB User

Hi Hazel!

You never know, now that the stress is a little less, this may be the time that your little miracle surprises you! I am sure hoping so! I'm sending you lots of babydust!!!

Just curious, Hazel and Silver, what vitamins are your DH's taking? My DH also has low count/motility, not sure about morphology (my REs office never really gives results) - but would love to have him take something if it would help!

Kel

Old 02-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari15 HB User

Hi Hazel! I think it sounds like you have a very thorough RE who is leading you and your DH in the right direction. As for taking the next step, well I will keep my fingers crossed that you and your DH do get a miracle and without any assistance you guys conceive this month!!! Please keep us posted and good luck to you

Closed Thread