It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
(female)

mjws HB User
How long does it take for clomid to work usually?

How long does it take for clomid to work usually?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Phillypainter HB User
Re: How long does it take for clomid to work usually?

Hello, and welcome. I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean how long does it take to do its job as far as producing better and more eggs? If that is the case, then you should see a difference that cycle. If you mean how long does it take to achieve a pregnancy then that really wouldn't be the same for everyone. I was actually going to ask a question in a new thread but since we are on the subject of clomid. (there is still a lot I need to learn). I am reading this book, like I have said before, I don't really like the writer but she has some info in there I never knew. She says you should only take clomid 3 months at a time then take a break beacause it will dry out your CM. Is that true? This book is a couple years old so maybe advances have been made by then but it sounds like the concern is if you are trying to conceive naturally. If you are doing IUI, is the CM as important?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kjmrfld HB User

Mjws,

Jennifer's answer to your question is a really good one, so there's not much I can add - I agree with her totally.

As for doing only 3 cycles of clomid, I'm really not sure. My RE was willing to do a 4th clomid cycle and didn't seem phased about it at all. I don't know about the CM issue? Would the injectables have the same effect? That's an interesting question.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Phillypainter HB User

In the book she states that injectables are okay. I have a "consultation" tomorrow to go over my treatment in the past 3 months so I will ask her then what she thinks.
Jennifer

Old 02-24-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Mapia74 HB User

Hello well I wanted to add if you are asking how long it takes to work that cycle well its 5 days the length you take them.Most RE's say you should only take clomid for 3 cycles after that it probably wont work.Every RE is different so there are no sure answers.Jennifer I have heard the same thing about clomid and cm so I think its true.To answer your other question with IUI CM does not matter since they place the sperm into your uterus and it doesnt need to travel then it doesnt matter.Only when you are trying naturally does it matter.Hope this was of some help.Good luck to you both.

Mapia

Old 02-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Phillypainter HB User

Thanks Mapia, that is what I figured about not needing CM if you are doing an IUI. As for clomid not working, does that mean if you took it three months and it hasn't worked (to produce bigger better eggs) to begin with, or it has worked and will eventually stop giving you the same results? Sorry if that sounds confusing.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Mapia74 HB User

Hi Jennifer well I can try to answer your question but as much as I know if clomid hasent worked as far as getting pregnant then it might not work.Clomid doesnt work for everyone.Personally I got pregnant on my 2nd try with clomid unfortunetly it was a chemical but the point was it did work.Also every cycle is different I remember with my first cycle on clomid of 50 mg I had 4 follies then the next cycle I had 1 so you see it wont give you the same results every month.As for the clomid not working to give you bigger and better follies if it hasent worked in 3 cycles then it might not work.I personally think injectables have better results with less side effects.Even though clomid dident really phase me some of the women here had bad side effects.Hope I helped you a little and dident get you more confused

Mapia

Closed Thread