It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
(female)

LittleRed00 HB User
Vitex Question

Afternoon Ladies!

My question was as a poster suggested (and I've been considering it the last couple months), what do you all think of Vitex? Any success stories? Does it truly help with PCOS and encouraging O? Gimme the lo-down ladies, you all know best anyways.. experience is the best knowledge. Thanks!!

Red

Old 03-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pinkie1 HB User
Re: Vitex Question

I can only talk about my personal experience with Vitex, and looking back I can't be positive it's b/c of vitex, but here it goes...

At the time we had been ttc for 2 years. I took vitex not according to the bottle's instructions b/c I wasn't sure what it would actually do. After couple more months (they say it takes awhile for it to really work) I took the dose suggested (40 drops 2-3 times a day). I did get pg but it ended about a week later. That was the first BFP that I got since ttc for #2. I continued to take it for another 9-12 months (can't remember) but no more BFP. I do O every month and when I was on Vitex I could feel my ovaries getting larger and feel the actual O, I couldn't before.

The downside of my experience was that I had terrible headaches. It didn't really do much for my short luteal phase.

It'll be interesting to read about other's experience with vitex.

Last edited by pinkie1; 03-18-2008 at 01:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
(female)

LittleRed00 HB User

Thanks for the story, Pink!

As it is..I have really odd AF's, it's not abnormal for me to bleed for 14+ days at a time, and nothing awful..just like AF bleeding. When I consulted the dr for it last time, she said I didn't O and we started clomid. To be honest, I am without insurance and can't afford to keep trying clomid when I feel I'd like to try something herbal, something perhaps that might work better and in the long run save money. I know it's not all about the money, as I've mentioned money so many times- but I'd rather save the money to spend on baby once it's here, you know?

This cycle I've gotten back into temping, I think I'll order Vitex and give it a go- as whacked as my cycles are now, I couldn't imagine it being any worse. Thanks for the reply! Will keep you updated!!

Red

Old 03-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pinkie1 HB User

One of the benefits I've heard about vitex is that it helps regulate the cycle. So hopefully you'll get a "normal" cycle and O too. That would be awesome!

Keep me posted.

What form will you be taking vitex in? tincture or pills? I could be wrong but I think tincture is supposed to be better??

Old 03-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
(female)

LittleRed00 HB User

Thank you Pink!

I ordered the pills, I read that either or would do the same thing.. so I just got what I thought would be easier in my hectic schedule.

2-4caps 2 times a day..seems a little much to me. But, I think I might do 3 pills, two times a day as opposed to the max. I guess somewhere in the middle sounds good!

I'll be excited to get going! When you took yours, did you take them completely throughout your entire cycle? Or did you stop taking it while AF was around?

Red

Old 03-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pinkie1 HB User

When I was taking the tincture form I started on CD3 until O, then stopped.

I forgot that I had taken the powder form when I was having acupuncture treatments. My acupuncturist had me take herbs with vitex in it. During that I time I took it throughout my whole cycle except when AF was around.

I hope it works well for you. Let me know if your cycle is regulated.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
(female)

LittleRed00 HB User

Thanks, Pink!

You've been SO much help!

I've read a few places and each place has a different suggestion on taking it. Some say the entire cycle until pregnancy has been detected, another says up until AF and then stop for AF to let your body have a break. I suppose I'll just play it by ear a few cycles and see which works best.

Will keep you updated! Thanks for all the info!!

Red

Closed Thread