It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
(male)

nepa HB User
Male Infertility. Can anyone help us? Please?

My wife and I have been trying to conceive for several years now. We are both in our mid to upper 30's, and I fear we are running out of time. She seems to be completely fine on the fertility side.

I had several sperm analyses and they all came back somewhat low in sperm count (8-20 million), with low motility and poor quality (maybe only 1% was "A", 7% was "B", and the vast majority was C or D).

My urologist and another local "expert" basically gave me no hope, but I know these people may not have all of the answers. I really did not want to go through IVF, and was told it probably wouldn't work anyway. The same with doing a "wash".

My brother has had two perfect kids no problem, and I am here, so it's not a family thing. I stay out of hot tubs, no tight underwear, take the right supplements, don't drink much, don't smoke, no drugs, and try to follow all of the well known protocols.

Does anyone here know anything about what our options are for this type of problem and if there is a solution? I have always wanted children, and suffice to say this has been quite heartbreaking. I would be grateful for any help. Thank you in advance.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

km7503 HB User
Re: Male Infertility. Can anyone help us? Please?

Hello, my DH has had several SAs done through our journey to get pg. He had a low count similar to yours and low motility. He is young (30 at the time) and is in great shape and doesn't wear tight undies or smoke and only drinks on occasion. There really was no reason his count would be so low. So, yes, it was and still is very frustrating. We were both told that IVF would be our best bet and so we jumped right in since we were also told that we had a VERY low chance of conceiving on our own. So, we did 2fresh cycles with a frozen cycle in between. Both fresh cycles were done with ICSI. They said they had "plenty" to work with that were viable. Our 2nd fresh cycle worked and we now have a beautiful baby girl who will be 1 in April.

I don't understand why you were told that IVF would probably not work. If you did ICSI, they can hand select the best ones. I can understand your hesitation with doing IVF, my DH was also nervous and apprehensive. But, I don't regret for a moment what we went through b/c we now have our daughter.

On a side note, we are now trying for #2. Since there's less pressure this time around, we are trying naturally for a while before moving to IVF again. My husband is taking a bunch of vitamins and herbal meds (I can give you more specifics if you want) and we are both doing acupuncture. Our acupuncturist told my DH that aside from what he is taking, he needs to eat LOTS of protein, drink LOTs of water and sleep as much as possible. This is our 2nd month of trying. Last month, we came really close. It was never confirmed, but I'm convinced I had a chemical pregnancy. I had classic pregnancy symptoms and my period came late but nothing showed up on hpts or a blood test I took. Anyway, this leads us to believe that it is very possible to conceive naturally, so we are really excited and we'll keep trying. I hope my story gives you hope which ever road you take. Remember, an egg only needs one sperm. Stay positive!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2008, 05:40 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Phillypainter HB User

Hello Nepa and welcome. I know we don't want to be here but the support we all get is great. Our issue is with my husband. When we first started out he had a decent count but low mobility at 10%. My RE suggested a vitamin called "fertility blend for men" you can order it online. It has helped a lot, at our last IUI it was 40% plus he gave up caffine which was a great help. Did they even suggest IUI's to you? If you can get the count and mobility up I don't see why they can't try that a few times first. Good luck
Jennifer

Old 03-31-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pinkie1 HB User

Hi Nepa,
Welcome to the boards. I don't know if I can offer any answers but the people here sure do offer a lot of support.

You mention all the things that you can control, but there are other causes of infertility in men. One of them being varicoceles, it's like a varicose vein in the scrotal sac. It drains blood to the testes. Your urologist could test you. Another factor might be undescended testicles at birth.

I'm not saying these are the answers, but other factors. I wish you a lot of luck in finding your answer.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hopefulx2.5 HB User

Hi Nepa,

I am so sorry that your doctor has given you reason to lose hope. But you are not without options, it seems with male factor IF there are lots of options in fact (us ladies are not always as lucky). That being said... YOu can try IUI (with is insemination)most likely with that, they will put your wife on CLomid to increase her eggs (to increase the targets for the sperm) and then time the insemination to correlate with ovulation. They in turn will "wash" your sperm to get the best ones to place into the uterus. This is an excellent option for male factor issues (and remember it only takes one sperm). Also, IVF would be another option where they would also wash the sperm and they can perform ICSI and even assisted zona hatching if there is reason to believe the sperm need an extra boost.

Also, my RE said that SA's can vary greatly from day to day, week to week, or even month to month. So you should def repeat that test several times even. Make sure you are not around any second hand smoke, and I have heard men having luck with the vitamins that someone else mentioned. Make sure you get lots of Vitamin C and some gals say pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are excellent choices too. Eat 1/4 cup daily.

good luck and please do not give up hope, your baby dreams can still be achieved and do not beat yourself up about the SA results. There is probably nothing you have ever done to make them "bad" and I know when my DH first heard that we had "sperm issues" he was devastated. But we found an RE and he took one look and said "he should wear a bracelet that says super sperm". Get 2nd and 3rd opinions!!!

Old 04-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
(female)

natty123 HB User

Hi Nepa - as the ladies on here said, don't give up hope, seek out more advice. It doesn't hurt to try IUI or IVF, I am surprised they have ruled those out already!. Like Jennifer's DH, my husband took "Fertility Blend" since his count was border line after 2 differnet tests - it has helped tremendously, we still didn't get pregnant with our 1st IUI last month but they told us his sperm was great. I know it had to be the vitamins, you can get them online- takes a few months to show a difference but anything is worth a try.

Good luck with everything.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
(female)

CocoandBB123 HB User

what's your motility? We did two IUI both failed, my DH had 11m count, 14% and 40% motility respectively.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
(female)

RwL HB User

Hi,

My husband was diagnosed with vericosiles (I may have spelled that wrong). From our understanding it is very common among men; essentially it is veins in the testicles that may cause over-heating which may lead to poor quality, low sperm count, etc. It effects each man differently or may not effect them at all.

The treatment of vericosiles is a minor outpatient surgery and generally takes about 6 months to fully "recover." I don't think that means that you have to abstain from intercourse during that time however the quality or quantity of sperm may not have improved yet.

All of this being said, there is still a lot of debate over whether or not vericosiles do cause sperm issues and whether or not fixing it does improve the overall quality/quantity of sperm. You may want to look into this.

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread