It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
(female)

candycane08 HB User
Over 35 TTC with FSH levels over 10 or had successful pregnancy

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone is TTC with FSH levels over 10 or has had a successful pregnancy outcome.

I am 40 and have a 20 mos. old son and TTC #2. My FSH level was good 3 years ago, but unfortunately has now gone up. I conceived my son with the help of fertility treatments and recently had a miscarriage after conceiving on a natural cycle.

If anyone is dealing with this issue or has an inspirational story to tell, I would like to hear from you.

Robin

Old 06-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

km7503 HB User
Re: Over 35 TTC with FSH levels over 10 or had successful pregnancy

First off, I'm sorry about your miscarraige. That must have been really hard to go through.
I can't help you out too much. I am 31 and have a 13 month old conceived with an IVF. I am also trying for baby #2 but I don't know my FSH levels. We will most probably do IVF in July.
I do know that my sister's husband's cousin just did IVF at 42, (not sure of her FSH levels) and is now pregnant with twins!!
Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and welcome you here...it is a very supportive group and I'm sure you'll find someone to relate to.

Last edited by km7503; 06-05-2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

estellaheart12 HB User

I am 42; my 1st FHS was 11, the second time it was 9, the 3rd time it was 15. so fhs does vary dont know why. This time we are trying ivf my fsh this time is 11, so we will see. I started my med on Tuesday and go for a check on Sat, if things go well and we get at least 7 mature follicles my RE will proceed. Ill keep you posted.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
(female)

candycane08 HB User

Estellaheart12/ Thanks for your response. Good luck with your IVF process. I conceived my son with the help of Clomid, Follistim, and IUI on a 2nd cycle of trying that. It took a year all together. I originally had conceived twins, but lost 1 early. I tried the same thing again for 4 cycles with TTC my 2nd, but had no luck. I ended up conceiving on a natural cycle and unfortunately miscarried after 11 cycles of trying. This is my 1st cycle trying again after that and I am now in the wait. I decided to just try natural for this cycle. May try with fertility treatments again later. My last FSH level was at 17. The RE said something about me doing stims on cycles when my FSH level was lower. He did not offer me the option of IVF with my own eggs, but offered me the option of using donor eggs. I do not really want to go that route. My RE is not the optimistic type and told me my chances were low for a full term baby. How does your RE act about the issue? I have heard some stories about women with higher FSH levels still having a successful pregnancy outcome, but looking for more for inspiration. How long have you been trying for? All this gets to be so frustrating.

Robin

Old 06-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
(female)

candycane08 HB User

KM7503/ Thanks for the response and the welcome. I wish you luck with your next IVF plans. That is great news about your sister's husband's cousin having twins through IVF at 42.

Robin

Old 06-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Hopefulx2.5 HB User

Hello and welcome Candycane,

I do have an inspirational story. I have a friend who was also suffering with IF, we have formed a great supportive friendship and found out we both have been TTC for 4 years. She did her first cycle of IVF this past January (she was 34 turning 35 in April). Her FSH level was at least 10 (which is higher than my RE would even consider for IVF). However, her RE still allowed her to proceed and even she was able to do the vested program/shared risk, where she gets 3 fresh IVF cycles and in the event she was unable to achieve pregnancy she would get a great portion of her money back. Well, I am delighted to report that she is now pregnant with TWINS from her very first IVF cycle. She is already 18 weeks along with twin girls.

I hope this provides you with great inspiration and if you find a RE that is not willing to cooperate with you, I would keep pursuing it until you find one that will. I wish you lots of luck and I am so glad that you found us.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

estellaheart12 HB User

Hi,
Well - i tried two attempts of clomid w/ iui -neither worked, given my age we decided to move on to ivf, my RE felt comfortable with me trying because i did respond well to the two clomid cycles. You dont get great precentages but she was very hopeful and said she would not do it if she didnt feel there was hope. like she said all you need is one good one. We did talk about donor eggs and if this attempt does not work we may try again with donor eggs. I felt like i had to give it a try. Miricles happen every day and thats what i am hoping for.

I'll stop back in tomorrow and let you know how my stims are going.

Maybe you should focus on removing transfat from your diet i have read that transfat can decrease your follicle response.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
(female)

candycane08 HB User

Estella/ I also tried Clomid for several cycles by itself, but had no luck when I was TTC my 1st. My FSH level at 37 was only 6.1. Then 1 injection of Follistim was also added to it. I had been seeing an OB/GYN until recently. That's the most that he would do for the meds. I would get from 2-5 follicles from that. I had success with my only 5 follie cycle. For TTC my 2nd, I did this again for 4 cycles with no luck. I did 1 IUI last time and this time. So my OB/GYN thought I should take the next step and consult with a RE. The RE was going to have me take 7-10 injections of Follistim, but I found out that I had a large cyst that cycle so couldn't do the meds. I also found out at 40 my FSH level had went up to 17 that cycle, but said it was ok for me to try. I tried natural that cycle and conceived, but my HCG levels did not double correctly. I found out I would miscarry or it was a tubal since he was not sure.

It is good that your RE is more optimistic about things that helps. Has your RE ever mentioned anything about antral follicles or DHEA supplementation? Mine hasn't. I came across some information on the internet from a RE who said that antral follicle count is suppose to be a better way of determining things than the cycle day 3 FSH test although it is still widely used.

****REMOVED*****

I do watch the labels on foods for trans fat content and try to stay away from it.

How are the injections going? I have heard about the procedure for IVF and it sounds very over whelming, but hope everything goes well for you.

Robin

Last edited by Mod08; 06-07-2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Do not post URLS that include links to patient forums

Old 06-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
(female)

candycane08 HB User

Hopeful/ Thanks for the welcome and the story. That is great news about your friend. There is not a lot of choice for RE's in my area since there is only 2 fertility clinics here. I wish you luck also in this journey.

Robin

Old 06-08-2008, 07:41 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

estellaheart12 HB User

Candy, my body failed me and yesterday my 1st attempt at ivf was cancelled because i was not responding at all to the stims injection. I only had one follicle that was progressing (i did better than that with just clomid).

I guess my next step is to talk to RE to see if i should even attempt again. Im feeling really deflated right now and i am thinking about just trying to sell my repronex and follistim at discount just to recoup some of my money back and DH and i just relax and rely on God. No matter how deflated i feel right now i do still believe in miricles. And i still have the name of an adoption agency that i got from my primary care physician.

Yesterday i had a big pitty party and ate cake and pie and ice cream and hung out by the pool all day baking in the sun. I cant say the pity party is over but i do feel better today. My DH and i are going to have time intercourse - my RE told me to give myslef the HCG shot on Wed and have timed sex on Thur and Friday- i do have one mature follicle growing so there is still hope - you only need one good one right

Old 06-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #11
(female)

candycane08 HB User

Estella/ Sorry to hear that your IVF cycle was cancelled and about the left over meds. The injectables are expensive. Yes, all it takes is 1 good egg.

Robin

Old 06-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Hopefulx2.5 HB User

Hello Candycane,

I just noticed that you live in IL, my friend and I both live in Wisconsin, but she traveled 4 hours to Gurnee IL to her RE and I travel 4 hours to Minnesota. I have all my monitoring done locally so that is a huge help. It is worth it to find a good RE even if you have to travel.

Estelle,

I wanted to tell you how sorry I am to hear that your cycle was cancelled, I know exactly how you feel. My very first IVF cycle, my E/R and transfer should have been last week. I only produced one good follicle and had two puny ones that didn't amount to much. (I am only 32 and my FSH is only 7.4) DH and I were devastated when they called off our cycle (as you well know). But, I am trying to believe that it was a learning experience for the RE and hopefully they can tweak our meds and we will respond better next time. I know it is a VERY EXPENSIVE learning experience and the meds alone cost a fortune. I will be very curious as to what your next approach will be.

We can both wallow in our self pity together. My RE converted our IVF to an IUI, but I am not holding my breath. But like you said miracles happen everyday and I know I have a bunch of people praying for us. It hurts nonetheless, but I am holding my chin up!!! Its not over til its over.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #13
(female)

candycane08 HB User

Hopeful/ Wow, that is a long way to travel to see a RE. Then there are so many visits to go for while doing treatments. It is good that there was something worked out locally so I hope you didn't have to make too many long trips. So how did you two come across these dr's? I live within 15 minutes of both fertility clinics in my area. There may be a better Dr. out there. The infertility ins. coverage that I am on pays up to $12,500 and that is it. I have already used some of it. To not have ins. it can be expensive and then the investment is not guaranteed to work. I see your friend went to a Chicago suburb and some of those areas would be the next closest for me. I was interested in one around the Chicago area, but it would not be convenient.

So what is your story? How long have you been TTC for?

Robin

Last edited by candycane08; 06-10-2008 at 11:04 AM.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

estellaheart12 HB User

Well, i got my AMH levels back today; AMH measures your ovarian reserve. My levels are 2.4 which is very good. Apparently to be a donar your levels must be between 1.4 and 3.0. So after my cycle being cancelled im glad to get some good news.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #15
(female)

candycane08 HB User

Estella/ I am not sure what the AMH is for ovarian reserve. Is this something new?

Robin

Closed Thread