It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
(female)

irishhopeful HB User
Question 3 out of 4 drs say no to removing fibroid but 3failed IVFs later...?

I'm getting too old and old and too desperate perhaps to make a sane decision about this. My husband is infertile. Some women sail through IVF, I didn't and after three attempts I don't want to try it again. I'm planning on doing an IUI treatment in September iwith Clomid. The problem is one doctor on the team says I should have an op to remove a fibroid and three others say no. IIt is 1.7 x1.8. I'm forty. They performed a hysteroscopy and found that it protrudes into the uterine cavity but three think it is not worht taking the risk with creating scar tissue while the other thinks it's necessary given the three previous failed attempts.

I was pregnant twice, one miscarraige at 6 weeks and one Dand C at 12 weeksafter heartbeat stop at 8weeks . I produced eggs like the easter bunny (14, 18, 22) and each IVF cycle had minimum of 2 transfered. Because I'm over 35, no sharing possible so stem cell research advances apace, I'm sad about that but I want to look forward. At forty am I wasting precious time? Should I go ahead with the IUI and not have op or have op and wait for six months?:confused:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
(female)

airline HB User
Re: 3 out of 4 drs say no to removing fibroid but 3failed IVFs later...?

Irish, I have no real advice to give, as I"m no expert in your situation, but my friend had multiple fibroids, inc. one in uterine wall. Sne's about 35 and she had a lap. to remove them, and they didn't remove all due to the damage it'd caused to uterus. She was in a whole lotta pain, before and after lap. poor love. However she fell pregnant about 5 months later and is now 8 weeks pregnant naturally.

I have different issues, but I tend to latch onto anything that gives me hope, so maybe this might give you a bit of hope. good luck and babydust

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
(female)

irishhopeful HB User

That's a great success story and I wonder if I'm being too negative to notice that she was younger by five years? All the doctors refer to my ever decreasing chances of getting / staying pregnant now I've hit forty. three think I shouldn't waste time and go with the IUI and keep the fibroid becasue of the take risk of making scar tissue. the fibroid, like your friends is protruding into the cavity wall and that's why. The Argentinian doctor on the team says he's done dozens and dozens and thinks scaring will be minimal ant the increases in my chances of getting pregnant outweigh the dealy factor. Your friend was truly blessed to have a natural pregnancy too. I still don't know what to do though.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

km7503 HB User

You're in a very tough spot. I'm not sure what would be best because there are no garuntees either way that you will fall pregnant. However, if it was me, I would opt to do the operation to remove the fibroids. I think that may really increase your chances with an IUI. The doc is right, the scar tissue may be minimal. I would think about it this way, which would be better: An IUI with a fibroid or an IUI with some minimal scarring? I'm no expert, but it sounds like the scar tissue would be a better bet even though it would take a longer amount of time for you to recover. Good luck in what you decide to do.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

estellaheart12 HB User
Smile Re: 3 out of 4 drs say no to removing fibroid but 3failed IVFs later...?

I have a ttc buddy who had fibriods removed laproscopically (spelling); it was done outpatient - had it done on Friday back to work on Monday and they only missed one cycle before they could begin ttc.

Closed Thread