It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User
Any1 here try Letrozole or Clomid? pro's & cons you experienced?

I'd prefer to use something tried & true rather than to end up with a medicine in study. I'm new to infertility. I've been trying to get pregnant for a year or so now. I've started seeing a fertility dr & today after my scan he said he'd like me to try a low dose of either letrozole or clomid (aka; clomiphene) for about 3 months or less if I get pregnant.
He likes letrozole better but it's not FDA approved for infertility. It's prescribed for breast cancer mostly.
Have you tried either of these medicines to induce ovulation?
Did they work for you? What, if any, side effects did you notice? Did they cause any malformations in your baby or cause you to have multiple babies (twins, etc.)?
Have you tried anything else to induce ovulation that worked better? What's the names of the meds for it you liked best and why?
Did they cause you to be cranky, manly, anything?
Thanks!!!!!!!!

Old 07-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

MissShellB68 HB User
Re: Any1 here try Letrozole or Clomid? pro's & cons you experienced?

Hi...well, the first time my husband and I tried Clomid it worked. But at 9 1/2 weeks, I had a miscarriage. Doc didn't want me to wait and try again right away. I did 3 cycles of Clomid and Ovadril. 1st time, only one follicle (100mg), 2nd time, only 2 (100mg). The last time, Doc upped my dosage to 150mg. and I had three. All good in size. But the last time didn't work either. Very depressing I must say. I was about to start my 4th cycle with Clomid but the doctor told me that I wasn't getting any younger and for me to move onto an injectable drug called Follistim. I am on day 3 today. I don’t like needles and I cry every time they take blood from me…so you can imagine what I mess I am when I have to do the shot in my stomach…and this is only day 3. I think I have 4 more days of this.
Sorry…didn’t mean to get off the subject. But anyways, I didn’t really have any side effects except for weight gain. I think I gained 10 lbs each cycle of being on Clomid. I didn’t really notice any moodiness – buy my husband might disagree. And the other thing I did notice was that I had a slight constant pain on my right side. I wish you all the luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks for your reply! Hope the new stuff works out for ya!
anyone try letrozole?
I read up on it and might go with that. I saw a few things that said it's only a risk for birth defects if taken while pregnant but not if you're not pregnant yet so if you be careful and check blood test for pregnancy often it should be ok....
I'd still like to hear what happened to anyone here who's taken it? side effects, birth defects, etc?
scared and excited,
"me"

Old 08-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

anyone?
I start letrozole tomorrow! am a little scared.... but hopeful....

Old 08-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
(female)

itsinGodshands HB User

I have been on Clomid, Letrozole (Femera) Bravelle, Dexamethazone and one other one that I can't think of right now and haven't had any side-effects from any of them. I've done a lot of research myself on Letrozole and kind of came to the same conclusion as you did, that it's only harmful if taken while you are pregnant. And I was able to get pregnant while on these meds so there is hope! Hang in there!

Old 08-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks for your response!
I should know if i'm pregnant by the 7th of september..............
I've taken 3 preg tests knowing they can't be positive yet... lol... I just can't wait!

Closed Thread