It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #1

chachi4596 HB User
how painful is an hsg test

how painful is an hsg test

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
(female)

Loni80 HB User
Re: how painful is an hsg test

I just had an hsg test a couple of weeks ago, and, for me, it really wasn't that bad (altough not something I necessarily want to do again). I read so many horror stories about it on the internet, and I had myself so nervous, but it wasn't nearly as painful as I thought. My Dr. prescribed me antibiotics to lower my risk for infection and 500mg aleve to take the day before, the day of, and the day after. I made sure to take the aleve about an hour before the test. The worst part for me was they had a little trouble getting the speculum (sp?) in because I was so nervous and tense. I had one big cramp (like a bad period cramp), but it only lasted a few seconds. It didn't take long at all. However, my tubes were clear, and I have heard some people say that it is more painful if your tubes are blocked. Try not to worry too much about it (I know easier said than done). You will get through it, and at least it is over very quickly. If you have any questions that I didn't answer, please feel free to ask. Good luck!

Loni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
(female)

newenglander2 HB User

I had an HSG test two months ago. I took 3 advils 1 hour before. I was extremely nervous, but to my relief it wasn't painful. It takes about 5 minutes all together, and for about 20 seconds you have a cramp (like when you get your period). When I called to schedule it, I asked the scheduling coordinator if the doctor is gentle. She said he is a sweetheart-and she was right. If the doctor injects the dye too fast, you will be in a lot of pain. So I would test the waters first or ask other people who have had the test done there or at a different clinic.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
(female)

tntbaby HB User

My HSG was a little painful, but I had both tubes blocked. They say it is a little more painful if you have blockage. If you do not, it is really not that bad. I didn't think it was super horrible, but I thought Advil was a little weak. Would have liked something a little stronger. Don't be too nervous. It really is not too bad and is over pretty quickly. Plus, it is a very necessary diagnostic tool. DH & I had wasted a lot of time before this test TTC, and of course nothing was going to happen with blocked tubes. So if you have a good doctor, he/she is right to prescribe this test really on. Good luck.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
(female)

rosieposie74 HB User

I took 1000mg of Ibuprofen beforehand and didn't feel anything until the very end when the doctor was pushing in the contrast. Then I felt a sharp pain in my rt. side, kind of like an ovulation cramp. It hurt, but only for about 5 seconds. Otherwise, it was more like a pap. Easy peasy! Good luck!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:32 AM   #6
(female)

lalruchi HB User

Hey i am scheduled for HSG on tuesday..I m scared hope that doesnt hurt too much..will share the experinece:)

Old 08-15-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

h19 HB User

I have mine on Tuesday as well, hopefully it is not too bad. I'm scared though....

Old 08-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
(female)

lalruchi HB User

Hey How did your HSG go? The radiologist had the specullum broke while inserting..so she thought I must come in the next cycle..

Old 08-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

h19 HB User

Not sure if you want an honest answer or not!!! I personally had a very painful experience....and my tubes were clear. But lot's of others on here said it was not that bad. So, hopefully you have a not so bad experience! I am just glad it is over with. Maybe I am just a really big wimp!!

What other types of testing are you doing? DH has a SA left to do before I see the gyno. Not sure what to expect at the next appointment.

The Following User Says Thank You to h19 For This Useful Post:
wessie (08-18-2011)
Old 08-20-2008, 06:19 AM   #10
(female)

lalruchi HB User

Yah same here SA left to be done, my Gynae wabts me to be on clomid guess thats the general practice..I will have to wait till next cycle to get my HSG .the speculum broke and the radiologist said that for me to break the spec means I m in lot of pain and inserting the spec is the easiest part..I am scared to death to a point where i m looking for place where they can do with sedation ...

Old 08-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

h19 HB User

Oh wow, you must have been nervous! I'm sure your doctor could give you something to help. Everyone handles things differently.

Now after DH gets a SA, I have to wait for my next appointment....which is two months away!! I don't know how I am going to be able to last that long!

Old 08-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
(female)

nancy3182 HB User

I guess everybody is different i had a hsg test back in april, i was really scare but it wasn't painful at all it was uncomfortable, but not painful, i hope this helps you.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:10 AM   #13
(female)

lalruchi HB User

Waiting period sucks real time..I m horrified by the experience , I want to know if my tubes are blocked and dont want to feel down(due to pain) at this early stage of my journey :)

Old 08-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

h19 HB User

Well, unfortunately this is a necessary step. Why go any further if your tubes are blocked...right? As much as it sucked, I would do it again. Talk to you doctor and ask him/her if you can take anything to help you out.

If you are anything like me, this is the last step before medication of some type....and the last test you have to do. (For a while anyways!!)

Good luck, and try to not think about it too much. Like others have said, it was really not that bad! (I just happen to be a wimp!!)

Old 08-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #15
(female)

nancy3182 HB User

LALRUCHI, don't worry i know how you feel i was relally scare too when i got one, but after it was done i was glad i did it my tubes were clear nothing wrong with them, i also have had many test done and at this point were doing IUI with clomid next month. good luck to you.

Closed Thread