It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
(female)

Jennio HB User
Question How long should a man abstain before an IUI?

I am having my second IUI on Friday, if all goes well. How long should my husband abstain before the procedure to ensure the best semen sample? My doctor didn't say anything to me about it. What have your doctors advised?

Also, does anyone have any advice about how to make your husband more comfortable providing the sample? We live an hour away from our doctor's office, so we have to get the semen sample at the office, not at home. Last time they stuck us in a bathroom. It was cold and uncomfortable. And you can't use any lubricant while masturbating because it will harm the sperm. It was all just very stressful! I would like him to feel as comfortable as possible this time around.

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User
Re: How long should a man abstain before an IUI?

I think the norm is 2 to 3 days. They don't like men to abstain for too much longer than that because they want the sperm to be fresh. I feel for you about being stuck in a bathroom...it was the same for BF & I. Our dr's office was also an hour away & they just had a small bathroom w/ adult magazines in it for collection of the sample. I always went in w/ him to "give him a hand" but it was still pretty uncomfortable...especially when somebody walked by & you could hear them right outside the door. Hopefully somebody else will have some good suggestions for you about that. Good luck w/ your cycle!

Holly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
(female)

ejb24 HB User
Re: How long should a man abstain before an IUI?

My office gives a range of 2-5 days for the sample. Also, they have a specific lubricant that they provide that can be used - maybe yours has something and they just didn't remember to provide it/ask if you needed it? That does sound awfully stressful - I'm hoping this will be the last time you have to go through it!

Closed Thread