It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
(female)

myinspiration HB User
My husband only has 8 million sperm. Need help

We ended up going to see another dr and she wanted my husband to have his sperm checked again. He had it checked 2 times in 2005 which one time it was 20 million grey zone they said and the next it was 35 million. We then found out i had endometriosis and i had a lap surgury for that. I have a 9 year old by him and i have a baby that died at birth by him. My baby died of no kidneys. We found out that my husband has 1 kidney and 1 vas differin.
We now just found out that he has only 8 million sperm and the dr wants him to see a urologist. So we made an appointment but it is 3 weeks a way. I am curious what they could do for him. Has anyone ever had this problem and did they get your husbands sperm count up. We have been trying for over 3 years. I did get pregnant and miscarry 2 years ago. My dr said that my endo was on the back of my uterus and that would not cause infertility.
Is there any hope or anything he could be doing to increase him sperm count? Also doesnt it take 90 days to increase sperm count?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

km7503 HB User
Re: My husband only has 8 million sperm. Need help

My husband's sperm is only in the 2 million range. We were told our best option for success was IVF which we did back in '06 and finally got our BFP after our 2nd fresh cycle. We just did IVF again this past summer to try for a 2nd child but it sadly ended in a chemical. You could probably have success with IUI though. My RE has said you need at least 5 million for this to be successful. And, this is a way less invasive route. My cousin has endo and was successful with an IUI.
Trying the first time and through the 2nd, my dh tried many things like herbal supplements, cutting out caffeine, eating more protein, even trying acupuncture and nothing has raised his count. In fact, most recently, his count was down to 1 million but that was enough to do IVF anyway. I have heard of other success stories from men who have tried some of the above mentioned and they did have higher counts. So, I guess you never know. Oh, BTW, the life cycle of the sperm is about 70 days, so you wouldn't really see a difference until that much time has passed.
Good luck!!

Last edited by km7503; 09-11-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2008, 06:38 AM   #3
(female)

newenglander2 HB User

Hi,
Please make sure he has genetic testing done especially since missing vas deferens has been linked to cystic fibrosis. The cause for the lower sperm count is also because he only delivers half the amount. Keep in mind that sperm counts vary naturally. To get a better count, your hubby needs a lot of rest, water, a men's formula MVT, some zinc in his diet, moderate alcohol, etc. Make sure he sees a urologist who specializes in male infertility.
Good luck!

Old 09-12-2008, 07:53 AM   #4
(female)

myinspiration HB User

He is missing one vas differin because he only has 1 kidney. The urologist said that one vas differin would not cause low sperm count.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
(female)

ames311 HB User

Interesting... my husband only has one kidney and one vas deferen. He had a low sperm count too (6.5 million). He went to a urologist that specialized in infertility and found out he had a varicocele. He had surgery to correct this in September 2006. When he retested in December 07 his counts jumped up to 114 million!!! We got pregnant in February and had a beautiful healthy daughter in November.

Just wanted to let you know that there is hope!!!

Old 09-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
(female)

myinspiration HB User

That is wonderful. Is that yalls first child? They told us that since my husband has one kidney that we have a 13 to 20% chance that our next baby will have some kind of kidney problems. They didnt tell us that when we were pregnant with our first child but after we lost our second baby that was born with no kidneys. Has anyone ever mentioned that to you? My first son is healthy with both kidneys. So i know we could have another healthy child. If i could just get pregnant. He has see a urologist before but thats when they found he had one vas defferin. What is varicocele? Is there anybody else in your husbands family that has kidney problems or babies that died of no kidneys. I was just wondering if it is true what they told me. Thanks so much for posting.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
(female)

ames311 HB User

My husband is the only one of 3 children that has just one kidney. His dad was adopted so we do not know a lot about his dad's family. I have no clue if a baby died on his father's or mother's side. As far as I know he is the only one with one kidney. My husband was 1st diagnosed with one kidney when he was 5 (he had a bad kidney infection). When we went to my gyno, after I was released from the RE, we wrote down our medical history and told them he only had one kidney. They didn't seem concerned at all about that. At our 20 week U/S i did ask the technician if she could see two kidneys and she could.

Here is the definition of a Variocele.
Varicocele is an abnormal enlargement of the veins in the scrotum draining the testicles. (This causes too warm of an enviroment for sperm)

Just wanted to mention that having the surgery does NOT guarantee an improvement. My husband just happened to have an EXCELLENT result!! In fact there is a slight chance it could worsen sperm count. We went with the surgery because we knew we wouldn't be able to afford IVF.

By the way... this is our first child.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
(female)

myinspiration HB User

No one in my husbands family has kidney problems that we know of. His dad died when my husband was 3 years old. My husband's dad was adopted by his mom's new husband so we know nothing about my husbands real granddad. We didnt know my husband had one kidney until after our baby died. My first son has both kidneys and no problems. We didnt find out about our second child until I was 24 weeks pregnant. Then we found out a year later that my husband had one kidney. They call this Potter's syndrome, when a baby is born with no kidneys. There is another lady that her husband too has one kidney and they had 5 kids but the 4th child died at birth from no kidneys. No one in his family had kidney issues but him. There is also someone else on that group where the grandfather had one kidney and both his son's had both but then one of the son's had a child that died at birth from no kidneys. I know that i can have another healthy baby but i just wish I could get pregnant. Thanks so much for responding to me. U have been very helpful. Thanks so much

Closed Thread