It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
(female)

ml2waiting HB User
Question Anyone use a sperm donor/bank?

Has anyone had experience using frozen sperm from a donor at a sperm bank?
Did you use "regular" sperm and do it yourself at home, or did you use "washed" sperm and have your physician do an IUI? How did you time it with your surge?

I have had multiple IUIs with sperm from DH and use of fertitlity drugs with no luck. DH sperm quality is poor in every aspect, but no known issues for me (Even had diagnostic Lap last week)... Doctors only recommend IVF for DH and I...

My husband and I went through a lot of testing/treatment 2 years ago and ended up choosing adoption. We have a wonderful 15 mon. old daughter and we are ready for #2.... Looking for affordable options...

Thanks,
Rachel

Old 09-24-2008, 06:01 AM   #2
(female)

rach100 HB User
Re: Anyone use a sperm donor/bank?

HI rachel, i actually dont have any answer to your question about sperm banks, but i would say if there isnt any problems with you , then IVF with ICSI is probably your best option. my dh has 0% morphology and we had to do ICSI, so they only need one half way good sperm per egg to fertilize, so that would be your best chances if you want to use your own sperm yet. i'm surprised your re let you do that many iui's with your hubbys sperm being the way it is.One IVF cycle without meds for me was $12700. and my meds were like $4000 cuz i have to have more than the normal person for my age
(25) i think normal is like $2000 to 3000. good luck with everything. kinda funny, i'm rachel and from wisconsin too!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
(female)

ml2waiting HB User

Thanks for your reply. I know IVF with ICSI would be a viable option for becoming pregnant in my situation... but to kind of explain my thinking.... if it does not work (50/50 chance it does?), then I am back to square one minus say $15,000, plus emotionally fried.

Already spent a lot of money on first adoption so savings are low and that $15,000 could go a long way towards another adoption... (Where certainty of getting a child is very great)

Don't get me wrong, I mean I would love to be pregnant too -- ergo trying a sperm donor (much less expensive than IVF or adoption, fair chance of success).

Old 09-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Hi & welcome.

I don't have any personal experience using a sperm donor (our fertility issues were with me, not my BF), but I have read the stories of some women on the board from the past who became pregnant using donor sperm.

All of them used washed sperm & had their dr's do IUI's. I believe the success rate is low (about 10 - 20%?), but it is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than IVF or adoption. And it does work. You just have to be prepared that it may take more than one or two tries.

I would suggest talking w/ an RE to better understand your options. And of course, we are always here to offer any support/advice we can.

Congrats on your daughter & Good luck to you on trying for her sibling!

Holly

Closed Thread