It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
(female)

Play_Hard HB User
1st post on infertility board - Need advice

Hello all! My husband and I have not been using protection for over 3 years now and I still can't get pregnant. We have been trying for 7-8 months. My history is as follows:

-Horrible periods EVERY month (very heavy and pain so bad that I can't function)
-5 years ago (when I was 30) I asked my obgyn to do laporscopic surgery to see if I had endometriosis as my pain was taking my life over. I did have what the doctor refered to as a 'mild' case. The surgery did not help with pain.
-I have had weird things happen to me, my hair goes through cycles of falling out a lot, I'll have a 2-3 week long period, my breasts have shrunk from a D cup to around a B cup. My obgyn did not feel as though I should worry about this.
-5 months ago I went to see a reproductive endocrinologist to see if he could help. He did another lap, which he told me that I have stage II-III endometriosis. He wants to put me on clomid, I am considering it, but am kind of scared.

I asked the reproductive endrocrinologist to do some hormone tests on me, he did. My progesterone, day 19 was 6.19 (the lab results said it should be >15). The RE said that the progesterone test is not an accurate test and is probably not the reason for my infertility. My FSH was something like 6.??, my E2 was fine and my LH was fine. I asked the RE to test my thyroid level and my TSH was a little high (3.89, when a level over 2.5 is considered subclinical hypothyroidism). I went to a regular endrocrinologist, he put me on Synthroid.

So I don't know what to do anymore, I am so tired of doctors, I feel as though I have to twist their arms to help me. I still think there is something that should be done with my progesterone level. Perhaps the thyroid meds may help me, but I don't know anymore.

Sorry so long, but I just wish things were right with my body and need to vent. In the last month, 2 of my friends told me that they were pregnant and my sister-in-law called me to tell me she is pregnant. All of which have children already, I have none. It's so frustrating, I know I should be happy for them, but it makes me feel like crap. I know that sounds mean, but I can't help it.

Should I consider Clomid? What other tests or treatments should I look into? Not only would I like to have a child, but being pregnant would be great as I would not have to suffer through another period for 9 months!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jsquared HB User
Re: 1st post on infertility board - Need advice

I have endometriosis too. My DH and I tried for 4 years...had a lap and discovered stage IV.....I finally did IVF and it worked the first time.....you have to be your own advicate (SP?). My OB was not going to do a lap...she thought I was young and that I probably did not have endo. i pushed for the surgery and sure enough I had a horrible case....ENDO SUCKS!!!!! Believe me I also know how you feel about everyone around you gettin preggy....it is so hard to hear...when you want it sooooo bad. REs are great and just let them know all your concerns and test....test....test. They will find a plan that will work for you....It is hard but worth all the pokes and prods. I hope you soon are blessed with a little bundle...hang in there and lean on the woman here...they are the only ones who understand.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:58 AM   #3
(female)

Play_Hard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsquared View Post
I finally did IVF and it worked the first time.....you have to be your own advicate (SP?).
Thanks for the reply...

Did you go straight to IVF or did you try Clomid or any other treatments? Did you get relief from any of your endo pain after having a baby (unless you are pregnant now)? Isn't IVF expensive? All of this infertility stuff is new to me, I never thought of any of this until I couldn't get pregnant.

That's crazy that your OB assumed that you probably didn't have endo because you were too young! I have heard of girls being 12/13 having it. When I hear stories like that it frustrates me ! I wish that I had surgery sooner, but then again neither of the laps helped me with pain anyway!

Last edited by Play_Hard; 10-19-2008 at 12:59 AM.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jsquared HB User

I did not do clomid because the chances of IVF were so much better...due to some blockage in fallopian tube. If I were you I would go straight to IVF....but there are some woman who have been successful with clomid and IUI. It is expensive!!!!! But worth it. I have a 5 month old now. I am nursing and i just started my period last month. I had some cramping....not like before but we will see. I also heard your chances of getting pregnant naturally after having a baby is better for endo sufferers. I hope it all works out for you. It is very emotional and you need to lean on those close to you. I decided to not keep it a seceret and got sooo much more support. Keep us posted and talk to your RE about all your concerns.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
(female)

Play_Hard HB User

Thanks for the reply. I am not the type of person who is very open, so I do have a tendency to keep things a secret; unless of course I talk to a message board, then it's so much easier being open Things just seem to be all coming down on me lately. What I mean is that everyone seems to be pregnant around me. I just got an e-mail from a friend of the family who is... yes you guessed it, pregnant. Of course, she was not trying. Now I know of 5 friends and family members that are pregnant, all of which already have kids and were not really trying.

As for the IVF, how much did you pay for the procedure? Generally, how much does it cost? Just wanting to know, so I can prepare...

Old 10-30-2008, 08:59 AM   #6
(female)

Lipps HB User

Costs differ between states and cities and even between two clinics 5 miles apart. The place where I was initially seeking help with IUI's charged between 14-16k for IVF. I didn't love that price, and I wasn't crazy about my RE there either. I found another clinic, about 45 minutes away. I liked the RE there much better, and they told me it would only cost between 8-10K. It ended up costing right around 10K because we found out we had to do ICSI which was an additional $1500.
Unfortunately our first cycle didn't work, but I did end up with 14 frozen embryos, and am going in TOMORROW!!! for the transfer of some of my frozen ones. FET is much cheaper than a fresh cycle. Ours cost $1880.
Either way you go, good luck. This is a great source for support and information.
Lilia

Closed Thread