It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2003, 12:05 PM   #1

Mrs. NC HB User
Post Glusophage...

I have been diagnosed with having PCOS and after about 10million test my doctor has put me on glusophage. I take one pill a day for the first week, 2 pills a day for the second week, and 3 pills a day for the third week. Anyone have any input. Any success stories? Please help!!

Old 05-02-2003, 12:18 PM   #2

baby4me HB User
Mrs NC.
I have not been diagnosed with PCOS so I can't help you with your question. I just wanted to ask what symptoms you had. I have unexplained infertility and I wonder if I might have PCOS. Thing is, I have had a lap and it seems like my Dr would have seen it then. And my cycles are EXTERMELY regular with no pain during periods. Good luck to you! This is the best board for questions and support!
Danielle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2003, 12:26 PM   #3
Inactive

tazink HB User
Mrs. NC - I have been diagnosed with PCOS and after months of fertility treatments (I believe b/c I have great insurance)which cost thousands and thousands of dollars, I decided to take a break from it all when the doc says, PCOS is caused from your pancreas not processing your insulin correctly. She then puts me on a diabetic diet and 2 mos. later (last night) I take a pg test at home and there is a faint pink line. I won't know for sure yet whether or not I am pg but the fact is that my periods are regular for teh first time in my life, I feel great, and I have lost weight.

Ask your doc if you can cut back sugar instead of taking the glucophage....just see what they have to say. I believe that if I wouldn't have had my insurance, the docs would have started where they ended.

Amy

Old 05-02-2003, 12:27 PM   #4

Mrs. NC HB User
The only symptoms I have had are irregular periods. REALLY irregular like one, two periods a year if I was lucky. It was not a problem for me until I got married and tried to conceive. I have excess hair growth, overweight, (I'm currently on weight watchers and lost 20 lbs.), and that's really it for me. I have had almost every test in the book done on me. So that is why I've started this medicine. Hope all goes well with you. I hope I get tons of support, I really NEED it.

Old 05-02-2003, 12:31 PM   #5

Mrs. NC HB User
tazink, your reply brought tears to my eyes. That is great news. I think I will put myself on a diabetic diet and see what happens. Do you think that's a good idea?

Old 05-02-2003, 01:01 PM   #6

Minouche HB User
Mrs. NC,

I have PCOS and I had all PCOS classic symptoms: irregular periods, hair loss, anovulatory cycles, facial hair, weight gain, mood swings, etc...I´ve TTC for 4 years and since I was dx with PCOS in 2001 I have done all the "basic fertility tests" and followed two different treatments.

First, I was put on Clomid for 7 cycles, but I just ovulated once. Last year, my endo put me on Metformin but I had HORRIBLE side effects. Then, he changed my rx to Glucophage XR and it worked like a miracle! almost all the symptoms have disappeared, now I have 30-day clockwork cycle (period lasts for 3 days!!! it had never happened before!), I´ve lost 25pounds, and I got pregnant twice (jul.02 and jan.03)..but m/c at 5 weeks.

I TOTALLY recommend glucophage! I am not insulin resistant, but it worked for me! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

GOOD LUCK!

------------------
Minouche
PCOSer - dx in Sep. 2001
TTC - 4 years
DH - internet miracle

[This message has been edited by Minouche (edited 05-02-2003).]
Glucophage XR 1500mg/daily since 04/2002
two m/c
currently on the 2ww - testing on 08/17

Old 05-02-2003, 01:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

JodyC HB User
I have PCOS (diagnosed on July '03), and I am currently 9 weeks pregnant. MY RE had me on 1500 mg / glucophage / day, along with 75 ml of follistim for 10 days, and a shot of Ovidrel (HCG) to ovulate. So, you see, I am also a success story Keep hoping, and I will add you to my watchful list (I am always keeping an eye on my fellow PCOSers! BEST WISHES!!!!!!!

Old 05-02-2003, 02:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Mindoo HB User
Mrs. NC,

I too have PCOS and periods about twice a year on my own. Every time a new doc looks at one of my u/s, they say "Wow, those overies are really poly-cystic." (I recently started going to a new RE practice that has four docs and I see all of them. So that is the reason I see so many new docs.)

I took Minouche advice to try Glucophage XR (time released). I was getting really sick on regualr glucophage, and the time released meds don't cause any side effects. I'm also going to try to go on a diabetic diet even though I'm not insulin resistant. My sister became pg after losing 40 lbs and try clomid. It also sound like taznik just lost some weight and conceived. Also, Glucophage has been know to help women lose weight.

One other thing -- I too was told to ramp up on Glucophage. With XR, I talk 2000mg, two pills twice a day.

Good Luck,
Mindy

Old 05-02-2003, 03:17 PM   #9

gsjjs1 HB User
My OB/GYN diagnosed me in 1994 with PCOS, based on symptoms of 3-4 periods a year since I was 21, excess facial/body hair, unexplained weight gain of 80 lbs in 2 years. The insurance company required a blood test diagnosis, which apparently is a cycle day 3 test where they compare the LH/FSH ratio. Not sure what the ratio was but the insurance company agreed that I did have PCOS.

The only thing that would regulate my cycle was BC pills which gave me High Blood Pressure, so I just waited for a natural cycle. Sometimes it was 6 months between cycles.

Went to an RE in 1998 who gave me Glucophage with a similar regimin as your's. I had a period within 2 weeks of starting Glucophage and never moved to a high dose. Got pregnant the following month, but lost the baby at 23 weeks. Got pregnant again 6 months after the loss. He is now 3.5 years old.

Before my current pregnancy (twins) I was taking 1 500 mg Glucophage a day (when I remembered). My periods are regular (every 29 - 30 days) even when I don't take the pills regularly.

PCOS has many different symptoms, and sometimes the ovaries look normal. I have had more miscarriages than I care to think about, but none since the Glucophage.

My RE wanted me to continue taking it through my first trimester this pregnancy, but I have had so much nausea and fatigue that I opted not to. So far (10 weeks) so good. Strong heartbeats and good growth.

Good Luck and much Baby Dust to you.

Old 05-03-2003, 06:07 AM   #10

cathyw HB User
Mrs. NC,
I too was diagnosed with PCOS in 2001. I didn't have boatloads of tests, just looking at me was enough, facial hair, overweight, anovulatory cycling. Didn't get an U/S but then again I was on the pill up until ttc. I didn't have my period for the my entire freshman and sophomore years in school, just in the summer, August, and May. My doc put me on Provera every other month until I started bcp.
I digress.
Anyway, now I'm on metformin and clomid. The metformin I started with my second round of clomid last summer, but of the list of symptoms I had 4 of the first 5, diarrhea, stomach cramping, nausea, and a funny taste in my mouth. I stuck with it. I was on the pot for the entire first weekend, then again the next when I kicked it up to 2 pills a day. After 2 months of no solid stools, it finally got used to me. Then I had to take a break for other health reasons.
When I started up again, I broke my pills in half, and started with a half pill for a week, then 2 halfs a day for 2 weeks, then 1 full in the am, and half at night, then up to my dosage of 2 pills a day. Doing it slower was better for my system, and better for me. It agreed with me much better the second time around.
I stuck with it, and I hope you can do the same. Don't let the initial symptoms break you down, I almost did. I haven't gotten pg yet, but at least I'm ovulating, I take my temps too. So it's just a matter of time.
Hope and prayers to you!
Cathy

Old 05-03-2003, 10:25 AM   #11

Mrs. NC HB User
Thanks everyone for the support. I'm really excited about all the wonderful stories I hear and read about. I know that my time is coming, just a little longer that expected. Thanks again.

Old 05-03-2003, 10:49 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mommawannabee HB User
You just keep the faith, Mrs NC and remember all of the successful pregnancies we've had with those of us with PCOS. Your time will come - just like all of the rest of us out here! We're just special with pearls decorating our ovaries.

Old 05-03-2003, 01:43 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

JodyC HB User
Mrs. NC,

One thing I want to stress is that a low carb diet with glucophage (generic is metformin) is essential. First, if you are not on a low carb diet, there is a likelikhood that you will develop a lot of the symptions (diareah, stomach cramps) these women discribed. Also, b/c some women with PCOS will ovulate (take Amy for instance) without glucophage, but just being on the low carb diet.

Good luck.

- Jody

Old 05-06-2003, 12:16 AM   #14
Inactive

Katiepops HB User
Hello I am on 2000 mg a day of Glucophage for 3 years now for my diabetes (I am type 2 not insulin resistant yet just impaired)along with Glyburide twice daily as well. And we have been ttc on and off for 11 years. I am still not pregnant but my periods are like clockwork. I do ovulate by the way but I have another strike against me, underactive thyroid. So that may be why I have not gotten pregnant. I have had everything else ruled out female wise so this is all they can blame it on. I would like to know if anyone has had success with the glucophage? I am on about the highest safe dose you can get on and only get it because I am a diabetic.

Old 05-06-2003, 10:01 AM   #15
Inactive

tazink HB User
mrsNC - Unfortunately AF reared her ugly head on Sunday so it as a falst + - but that doesn't mean there isn't this month right They did more blood work today and I will get the results in a couple of days.

This is the perfect place to find support! These gals are great. It is hard to find people that can relate to what you are going through and all of the women on here are going through it right a long with you. JodyC is awesome - she gets pg and still posts on here - she is a blessing and an encouragement!

Minouche - did they say why you miscarried? HAve you been checked for low progesterone or put on progesterone supplements? ask your doc about it.

Amy

Closed Thread