It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
(female)

CocoandBB123 HB User
Advice please: Ready for IVF. What should I do to prepare?

After 5 failed IUI, I decided that I will try IVF probably in January. The great news is that my insurance company covers almost everything!!
My question is for those of you who have experience with IVF, what should I do to prepare for the IVF? Should I take any special supplements? Should I work out more? Should I eat more vegetable? Anything that I can do at all to help?

Thank you!!!

Coco

Old 10-22-2008, 06:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User
Re: Advice please: Ready for IVF. What should I do to prepare?

Hi Coco,

I'm sorry your IUIs didn't work for you & I pray IVF will give you better results. It has worked for so many of us! I think it's wonderful that your insurance covers most of the cost - that will lift a huge burden from you about worrying over finances.

My biggest advice to you on getting ready for a cycle is try not to stress yourself out. IVF is a major undertaking, but it can be handled much more easily if you just take it one day at a time & try not to worry about things that are out of your control. We all think that being our healthiest before a cycle is key, but sometimes we end up stressing ourselves out more in our efforts. I would try to eat healthy, but don't make yourself feel guilty every time you put something unhealthy into your mouth. I would work out, but I would only do it to stay active & relieve stress. I wouldn't worry about losing those last 2 (or 5 or 10) pounds before starting injections...it's not worth the stress. One thing I did before my IVF cycle was cut out caffeine. I really think this helped with my egg quality & I didn't miss it nearly as much as I thought I would. If you have a hard time cutting it out, you could always just cut down on it. I also cut out all alcohol as soon as I got my last period before the procedures. I didn't want it in my system messing with my egg production.

Many women rave about accupuncture & I'm sure it has it's benefits, but I personally never tried it. My insurance didn't cover it, & we barely managed to pay for the IVF w/o adding more to the cost. Making it to the extra appts would also have been more of a stressor to me than anything, so for me it wasn't worth it. For you, it might be. Something to consider.

Anyway, I wanted to wish you the best of luck with your cycle. It tooks us two tries to achieve a successful pregnancy, but it has worked for many others on the first try. Just take it day by day & focus on the end result you are hoping for - a glorious baby. It's so worth it!!!

Hope this helped.

Holly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

amelu HB User

I ditto what Holly said, try not to stress and if possible keep trying to live your life. I cut out caffiene completely and was taking baby aspirin and a pre-natal vitamin before my cycles. It took two times but it worked. The first cycle is usually a "dry run" to see how all the meds affect your body. I went from a crazy work-out-aholic, to a much more relaxed approach. I started doing pilates and did it all through my IVF cycle except when I was on bedrest, and continued it through the 2WW and up to my 20th week of pregnancy. It helped with stress.....and somehow trying to tone my abs didn't make me focus so much on wishing I had a baby in my belly.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
(female)

CocoandBB123 HB User

Holly and amelu:

Thank you so much for your advice. It means a lot to me. You guys on this board are the only people I can talk about this stuff with... I just don't expect my family and friends to understand what we've been going through.

Anyway, you are right that I should relax, too much stress in this past two years...You both mentioned that you cut down caffiene, I've been drinking tea since they said it's good for you, should I start drinking de-caf tea, or it doesn't matter?

Thanks!!

Coco

Old 10-24-2008, 04:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Coco, I know what you mean. When I was going through all this, the women on this board were my lifeline. I did talk about things w/ my family & friends, but it isn't the same. They didn't understand & they couldn't offer the support I needed. This truly is a great place.

When I cut caffeine out of my diet, I continued drinking coffee but just switched to de-caf. I really think it had a positive effect on my cycle, so I would suggest doing the same. Of course, it's up to you.

Good luck!!

Holly

Old 10-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

marriot HB User

My husband and I conceived our fraternal twins boys through IVF on the first try. We were very fortunate. Two day 5 embryos were transferred. Here's what I did before and during:

-prenatal vitamins (of course)
-husband took: selenium, multi vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, and folic acid (as suggested by his urologist)
-husband had bilateral varicocele surgery (unsuccessful, unfortunately)
-I did accupuncture one or twice per week, in combination with chiropractic care
-I went for a "lymphatic drainage" massage the day before the retrieval (one of my books suggested this) - at the very least it relaxed me
-I greatly reduced my caffeine intake. Almost nothing during the 2 WW and now no more than one cup of tea per day.
-I spoke to my follicles all the time during the process and tried to encourage them (positive energy!)
-I spoke to my embabies all the time and meditated about them sticking
-I resisted the urge to do a home test until the very last day when I was going for the blood test anyway
-I had a day-5 transfer of 2 embabies
-I didn't do bed rest or any kind of special rest after the transfer
-I went a little crazy during the 2WW, but I tried to stay positive

Anyway, I don't know how much of the above helped and how much was just luck, but I thought it might be helpful to read about one woman's protocol.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
(female)

CocoandBB123 HB User

Holly and CHJH:

Thank you so much for your great tips!!!!!!! I will definitely try to follow them! ;O)

I will keep you guys updated. Wish me good luck please... :-)

Thanks again

Coco

Old 10-27-2008, 04:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

Coco, sending you LOTS of good luck wishes! Please let us know how your cycle goes. I'll be watching for your updates.

Holly

Old 11-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
(female)

CocoandBB123 HB User

CHJH:

you mentioned that your husband had bilateral varicocele surgery. Was he the reason that you guys did IVF? You might already noticed from my another post that DH has DNA damage probably due to varicocele, the urologist told us to do ICSI, IVF won't even work ;O(

Old 11-25-2008, 04:26 AM   #10
(female)

RwL HB User

ICSI is part of the IVF procedure. So when you say that you are doing ICSI it's actually IVF with ICSI. ICSI is just the part of the IVF process that washes the sperm to get at the very best/strongest ones.

I ditto with what everyone else said....just take one day at a time. It will all seem very overwhelming and a long process at first. But if you break everything down to what gets done only on that day then it will seem like a much easier hill to climb.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #11
(female)

CocoandBB123 HB User

Jessica:

Thanks for the info and encouragement!!!!!! i will hang on there and make it happen!

will keep you guys updated.

Coco

Closed Thread