It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2003, 03:40 PM   #1

Olderwoman HB User
Question cancelled follistim cycle - when next period?

Hi,

Brand new here. Age 42 (last Sunday!). 2nd cancelled follistim cycle. 1st time follicles, but low estrogen. This time estrogen sort of OK, but only a cyst, no follicles. Last time, they gave me estrogen then provera and forced my cycle. This time they will let occur naturally, but couldn't tell me when to expect my period. I was cancelled yesterday CD12. Will it follow a normal cycle and start in a couple of weeks, or what? Thanks to anyone that has any insight on this. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

p.s. anyone else out their over 40? If so, what are your FSH test results like? I ovulated on 4 cycles of clomid, no pregnancy - then 5th cycle nothing and now 2 follistim cycles nothing - the nurse today seemed to indicate I may have run out of eggs - but my FSH in December was 13.8 and 12.2 just 2 weeks ago? Thoughts? I'm getting pretty frustrated

[This message has been edited by Olderwoman (edited 07-17-2003).]

Old 07-17-2003, 05:48 PM   #2
Veteran

Tryingfor#2 HB User
I am not yet familiar with all the methods like follistim, but there are plenty of people here who are! I do wish you all the best, and will be praying for you to get that BFP!
BTW Welcome to the boards!
Good Luck!
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Amber

[This message has been edited by Tryingfor#2 (edited 07-17-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2003, 05:17 AM   #3
Veteran

old flo 1 HB User
Hi
Never done clomid or follistim but did 1 round Pergonal + 2 rounds Repronex . DR tough we would need to cancel 1 cycle mid cycle but my llevels . got better sadly to say all 3 cycles did not work . I did 1 cycle at 40 and 2 at 41 . Right now I am doing acupuncture ans am probably going to do some montiered natural cycles with a new RE. good luck !

Old 07-18-2003, 05:18 AM   #4
Veteran

old flo 1 HB User
Hi
Never done clomid or follistim but did 1 round Pergonal + 2 rounds Repronex . DR tough we would need to cancel 1 cycle mid cycle but my llevels . got better sadly to say all 3 cycles did not work . I did 1 cycle at 40 and 2 at 41 . Right now I am doing acupuncture ans am probably going to do some montiered natural cycles with a new RE. good luck !

Old 07-18-2003, 06:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Mindoo HB User
I'm 36 and have only used clomid. I would think if you finished your meds that you would cycle in th 28-31 day range regardless if the cycle was cancelled or not. Since I've never tried injectables, I dont' know how long you take them. Did you finish them? ALso, are your cycles regular or semi-regular without meds? If they are, then you should have a normal cycle lenght.

Old 07-18-2003, 06:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Mindoo HB User
One more thought, did you doc do a baseline (CD 3 u/s?) to check for cysts before you started? If not, ask him about a baseline u/s before next cycle. It's definately better to cancel a cycle on day 3 that day 12. -- less painful in some cases.

Old 07-18-2003, 06:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

autumnleaves HB User
I am 44 (just turned that ugly old age in June)...my DH and I have been trying for over a year. My FSH levels fluctuate each month. This I know because the RE was testing them on CD 3 for several months in a row. One month my FSH was 3.3 (wahoo) but my estrogen was 984 (way to high...needs to be between 25 and 50, supposedly). Next month my FSH was 20.4 and the estrogen was 35. He never did treat me and kept pushing donor eggs at me.

I have a new RE and he said that once you are over 43 the egg quality is very poor (they are "old") and the likelihood of getting pregnant is 1 to 2% WITH treatment.

I have had HSG (tubes perfectly clear), ultrasound (ovaries have no cysts), I cycle each and every month without fail, and I ovulate every month without fail (I chart and use the OPK sticks). In short, my two RE's have broken my heart over this.

I hope that the treatments you are having work. Please keep me posted because I am so very interested and want some way to help me too!

I haven't had a lot of positive talk from either of the two RE's I've consulted. My DH has no children of his own and my daughters are 19 and 17.

I really hope I don't discourage you. PLEASE! Keep going. I know women can have babies in their 40's...I guess just not me http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bigcry.gif I more would like to know how this works for you and what you are going through with your treatment.

If I can be of any support, you can always post to me. I wish all of you older mommies-to-be the best of success and luck and blessings...

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 07-18-2003, 04:02 PM   #8

Olderwoman HB User
Hi everyone - thanks for the responses. Well 1st of all I know the answer to my question. I just started AF this afternoon! Now I'm all whacked out schedule-wise - DH will be travelling now during potential ovulation time - gotta decide by tomorrow if I am going to give it a rest or try to chase DH down in his travels when I'm ovulating! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

To answer Mindoo's question. The 1st month of injectibles he did a cd3 u/s - but that month got cancelled and so they thought no need for cd3 u/s for next cycle. Apparently that was the wrong choice.

For this next cycle, the nurse told me I will be doing both Clomid and Follistim - that should be fun! Clomid CD2-5, Follistim, 3 vials CD5-7, the u/s on cd8 and get direction from there. She said this would quickly stimulate some production of eggs from the clomid and then the follistim will mature them. She also indicated if this aggressive approach doesn't work I will need to consider donor eggs.

So my head's spinning right now. I worry that skipping a month might be missing the month that would have worked. But part of me just wants to take a break from the insanity instead of adding the additional complication of having to fly somewhere to catch my DH for the BD. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

Good luck to everyone - I'll keep you posted as to how this all goes - especially if this combo approach works - maybe it would work for Autumnleaves!

Old 07-18-2003, 04:23 PM   #9
Veteran

Tryingfor#2 HB User
Good luck w/ chasing DH around, I know exactly what that is like, mine travels non-stop, he hasn't been home in a while, that is why this Sunday I am go to him to BD my brains out! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif
It is hard to run around after them, but it's worth it if we get that BFP! So, good luck to ya, and lots of baby dust http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Amber

Old 07-20-2003, 07:05 AM   #10

Olderwoman HB User
Well - I decided to skip this month. It's only been a week since my last period stopped and a few days since my last follistim shot - plus it's just very light and I'm not sure that my body has really cycled appropriately. Hopefully I will start on my own in a few weeks. I'll let you guys know then.

See ya'

Closed Thread