It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2003, 01:01 PM   #1

tryinfor#2 HB User
Question incompetant cervix??

Hello,

I have a question, can you tell me the symptoms of an incompetant cervix?? I am 12 wks PG and have started to feel vaginal pressure. I do not know if this is normal or if i should go to the Doc.

Old 09-03-2003, 05:38 PM   #2

twins@24weeks HB User
I was diagnosed with an incompetant cervix and have read a lot of differing opinions. Usually the cervix starts to open, from the inside out, called funneling. I've read that it can be totally painless, and the only way to tell it is happening is with an ultrasound. My personal experience was not painless, I had definite contractions, about 3 per hour. My doc said to go to ER if I had more than 3 per hour. I never had that many, but ended up going to ER at 20 weeks, 2 days into my contractions. The first day I hadn't dialated at all, at least from the outside. The day I went in to the hospital, I was dialated, not sure how much, as the amniotic sac was coming through the cervix and obstructing the OB's view.

My thinking on it is this: if something feels different, get to the doc and have it checked out. It could have saved me and my family a lot of trauma. I know that with my next pregnancy I'll be headed to the doc if I get a mosquito bite, and I'm not a fan of doctors in general.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2003, 07:44 PM   #3

Colleywobbles24 HB User
Tryingfor2

PLEASE if you think something is wrong call your OB right away, as you may know I lost my precious twins 3 weeks ago and I feel so guilty for not having been able to save them. My OB is not 100% sure if they were lost due to IC or preterm labor but I had cramping at 20 weeks and was told it was "normal" now I wish I would of insisted to my OB that something was wrong. IC usually occurs between 18-22 weeks when the weight of fetus starts pressing on the cervix but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I wish you the best
Amanda
Mommy of Angel Twins
Sutton Elisabeth and Gabriel Matthew Colley
August 12, 2003 - August 12, 2003

Old 09-04-2003, 08:00 AM   #4

tryinfor#2 HB User
Well

Yesterday I had felt pelvic pressure, but I feel alot better today. I have a DR's appt on Monday.

Old 09-05-2003, 07:00 AM   #5

tryinfor#2 HB User
Hey,

I just wanted to say thanks for the responses. I did go to the DR yesterday and everything looked fine. They did an ultra sound b/c they could not hear the heartbeat. The baby was perfectly fine and had a h/b of 154 bpm. And the baby was moving all over the place. I just wanted to say thanks!!

Old 08-16-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
(female)

Abigail_P HB User
Re: incompetant cervix??

Hi everyone.

I'm a 25 year old, married woman who has had a history of incompetant cervix. I lost a baby at 14 weeks due to a miscarriage (unrelated to IC). Just a few short months later we found ourselves pregnant with a healthy baby boy. Just a few days after my sonogram that revealed we were having a son, I began to spot. My OBGYN (who is truly my angel) suggested that we go to the emergency room just to be on the safe side due to my history. I was smiling, laughing, convincing myself it was nothing. I was only 20 weeks, to that day. I would have never known it was anything until the sonogram. At the hospital they discovered not only was I 5 cm dialated, the amniotic sac was prolapsed into my canal and he was just inches away from being delivered. Under extremely heavy sedation (I was out of control and distraught), they attempted to deliver him, which turned into a partial delivery, particial D&C due to the complications that were involved. I would have NEVER, nor did I know for that matter I was going into premature labor. The only warning sign was the spotting, which can be normal in many pregnancies.

For my third pregnancy we opted for a vaginal cerclage. This is where they tie a suture (usually around the 14th week of pregnancy) around the cervix will the attempt to hold the cervix together for the length of the pregnancy. Normally at 37 weeks this is removed, and you're on your way to deliver your little one.

Just about 3 years ago I became pregnant again, roughly 3 months after I lost my son. I went ahead and at 14 weeks had the cervical cerclage. I was put on bedrest at home, which generally is prescribed and things looked positive. Due to my history, I was having bi-weekly sonograms to monitor my procedure. At 22 weeks, I went to the hospital, and not only did I discover I was having girl , I discoverd I was also funneling (as mentioned in another post), and only 1 cm of cervix remained, so bascially the small stitch was the only thing stopping me from going into premature labor again. Now, about a week before this sonogram, I felt a really strong pressure in my belly, more like a dropping sensation. I called my doctor and he thought it was a bladder infection, but my gut was telling me something else. Sure enough, that day I was admitted into the hospital and spent the next 99 days there. I had a catheder, a baby monitor hooked up to me 4 times a day, antibiotics, IV's, took bed baths, ate in bed, read in bed, and was positioned in Trendelenburg (a tilt in the bed to take pressure off of your cervix).

99 days I spent wondering, worrying, hoping and praying that everyday my baby girl would stay put and my cervix would hold. I had weekly sonograms at this time and at 37 weeks, miraculously there was no change and I was sent home!

The stitches were removed the next day and at 37 wks, 5 days I delivered a healthy girl.

This post is to let everyone know who has lost a baby, there is hope for incompetent cervix, but with that hope, there is sacrifice. I spent 3 and a half months in the hospital for MY baby, and I would do it all over again. No one really knows why we have this problem. There are several factors that can contribute, but none to which I had....I just "had it". I'm not sure whether or not the hospitalization saved my baby. I often wondered if I stayed home and just continued on my bed rest would I still have carried to term? I don't think I will ever know that answer, but what I do know is our daughter is our miracle baby. She came to us for a reason and we are blessed.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you that have lost babies, and know that each one was meant to be yours, it's nothing YOU did. I would like to post as well this poem that was given to me after my son died. He is burried at our local cemetary in which my family and I visit often. This poem is a true inspiration and is probably the best explination to losing a loved one that we will ever find.

When God calls little children,
To dwell with Him above
We mortals sometimes question the
Wisdom of his love.
For no heartache compares with the death,
Of one small child
Who does so much so make our world
Seem wonderful and mild.
Perhaps God tires of calling,
The aged to his fold
So He picks a rosebud
Before it can grow old.