It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
(female)

mandyc911 HB User
Question Newbie

Hi everyone! I haven't been on in a while. I feel like a newbie again...lol my name is Mandy. My husband and I are trying IVF starting Jan. or Feb. We decided for Christmas this is the route we are going to now take. I am 36 and he is 39. I had a tubal reversal in 02 with no baby. I had a miscarriage in 06 and have been trying ever since and still no success. I don't know much about IVF and was hoping that some of you ladies would share your imput on the statistics of IVF and success stories. I have to call tomorrow and make my first consult appt. My next AF is due around Jan 18. I am hoping to start treatment by then if not I will have to start in Feb. I am hoping to have an 09 baby. I am not getting any younger...

Hope to hear from you soon....

Thanks in advance!!!
Mandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

km7503 HB User
Re: Newbie

Hi Mandy! I did IVF in '06 and got pregnant. My daughter will be 2 in April. That year, I did the first fresh cycle that ended in a BFN and then 1 frozen before going on to my 2nd fresh cycle that got me pg but I had none to freeze. Statistics really depend on age and what factors are issues for you. I have male factor so we did ICSI on all cycles. I was 29 when I got pregnant with my daughter. I will now be 32 in a couple of weeks and have tried all year for baby #2. We did a fresh cycle during the summer (this time with a new doctor) and ended up with a chemical pregnancy but I also got 9 to freeze. We then did a frozen in the fall, transferring 3 this time to increase our chances. On all other cycles, we transferred 2 and I sort of panicked thinking that we might get triplets but none of them took. Then, we took a break and now I just started the Estrace for my next FET, where we will transfer 3 again and see what happens.
My best advice is to take it one day at a time. It can get really overwhelming if you let it. Also, do acupuncture. I did it with my 2nd fresh in '06 and I believe it's what helped me get pregnant. I've also been doing it all this year. It really helps to keep you relaxed and balanced and at the same time keeps the blood flowing in the right spots where it counts. Also, eat as healthy as you can and keep coming on here...it's a great place to just vent. Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
(female)

CocoandBB123 HB User

Mandy:
I am a newbie on IVF too. We just did all our blood test and paper work this month , then I will start taking birth control pills on Jan, then stim on Feb. My AF will probably start around Jan 10th.
The RE will give you lots of reading material and show you the protocol. In the clinics I go to, you are required to do blood test on 1st month, take BC on 2nd month, then start stim on 3rd month.
Good luck.

Coco

Last edited by CocoandBB123; 12-29-2008 at 08:51 AM.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
(female)

mandyc911 HB User

Thank you sooo much for replying... I had a tubal reversal in 02 and had some tragedies since then. I had many pregnancies but only one confirmed by a Doctor. I lost that baby in 06 at 7 weeks due to stress. I have been trying ever since with no luck. Thing is I am 36 and feel like I should just go for it and stop wasting money. My tubes are open its just when they were reversed I only have 3cm on one side and 6cm on the other side that is backwards. I have regular periods every 27 days like clock work. Don't know if I am ovulating or not but still very regular. Hubby has no problems. So I am thinking I may have a very good chance at this. I will do one fresh and hopefully have some to freeze. If this cycle don't work then we will have to wait 6 months before trying again cause of money... I haven't been able to schedule an appt just yet. I had Christmas returns at Wal mart and didn't find the time with that and getting supper ready for my family..

Thanks again

Mandy

Old 12-29-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
(female)

Jayme82 HB User

Hello Mandy,
I am just beginning my first round of IVF, we will do the retrieval and transfer in January. I just want to warn you, depending on your clinic and how busy they are, you may not be able to get in as soon as you hope. I only mention that because I first called back in July and my clinic was not able to get me worked in until the January cycle. I am currently on birth control and go in tomorrow for an ultra sound and some labs and will also pick up all of my meds and re-learn to do injections as I have previously done injections with the many IUI treatments that we have arleady been through. I just want to make sure you do not get your hopes up and your heart set on actually doing the procedure in Jan. or Feb. because scheduling at your clinic may not permit, I had my heart set on getting in right away and was pretty upset when that was not possible.

When I had my initial consult visit, it was very enlightening. It lasted about 6 hours and we covered literally every aspect of the entire process, so I will tell you that when you have that first appointment you will feel at ease, or at least I did because that was truly the initial step in trying to make our dreams become a reality. My DH and I are very excited and nervous to actually go through with the IVF procedure and are just keeping our fingers crossed that it will take the first time!

I wish you the best of luck as you begin moving forward, as others have said, just try to be patient and keep positive thoughts. We are already going through enough stress with the infertility journey, it is not worth it nor necessary to stress ourselves out even more working up to the procedure. At this time, I can honestly say that I am pretty stress free, I just continue to pray and keep positive thoughts. Now I am sure that once the actual procedure has begun, after the retrieval and also the transfer, I am certain I will be pretty stressed out but I will try to keep that to a minimum!

Good luck!

Jayme

~BFP via IUI Jan '06- Ectopic pregnancy
~BFP via IUI Aug. '06- Ectopic pregnancy- lost both tubes
~IVF Feb. '08 - beta 2/16 - BFN
~FET June 24th - BFN

Old 12-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
(female)

mandyc911 HB User

Thanks Jaimie!!! I had called back in Sept. and they made me an appt. for Oct. and said I would be doing transfer by Nov. However I canceled due to alot of things going on at that time. The Clinic I am attending has about 9 Doctors and all with high success rates... I have been doing alot of homework on statistics... I know very little about what to expect in going through the process and am looking for a supportive group of ladies to vent with...lol I hoping that the clinic will be able to get me in soon, as they were able to in the past however thank you for your concerns on my behalf... I really never thought about there being a delay in the appt. But you are right there is that possibility. I think it would be okay then I would have a little more time to prepare. I just called and waiting for the IVF lady who does the consults to call me back. I may have to wait to schedule after the 1st.

Has any of you ladies had success with 1st try IVF?

Old 12-31-2008, 06:18 AM   #7
(female)

RwL HB User

Hi Mandy,

I kind of had success with my first attempt with IVF, it ended up being an ectopic pregnancy. Technically, IVF worked but not in the right location which certainly didn't make me feel better about the situation. However the silver lining was that I had some indication that it could work for us.

For some, IVF works on the first try and for others it takes years. I came across an article a little while back that went on to say that on average it takes 2.8 tries for a successful IVF cycle. The author said to round up the 2.8 to 3, so on average it takes 3 cycles for it to work. I had success on my third fresh cycle (I did one frozen). This might be a coincidence....might not.....

Good Luck!

Jessica

Old 01-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
(female)

mandyc911 HB User
Wink Re: Newbie

Thank you RWL!!! I have read some articles also about the success rate. I don't want to get my hopes up to high and have a major disappointment but I want to stay positive. I feel with support from a wonderful group of ladies that has been there and done that like yourselves I will be successful. I made my appointment and they already have all my info from Sept of last year and my appointment is Jan 14. They want to get started as soon as possible. After speaking to the lady about my success rate she advised until all bloodwork and work up is done the Doctor will let me know, but according to what I had told her she said because of a Tube issue she feels I am an excellent canidate for the IVF. They have a very high success rate on patients with only tube issues. After bloodwork they will know if I have hormone issues and that will tell the whole story... So ladies Please keep me posted on your situations and I will keep you posted on mine and we can encourage one another. I have read that the shots you have to take to help stimulate the ovaries to produce the eggs are painful. Is this true? I just want to be very well prepared. I also heard you become very snappy...lol I am just so excited that I am finally going through with IVF. I feel so confident that it will be successful. My husband said he has a feeling that we will be successful first try and we will have twins...lol I hope he is right. I will be excited about one baby however overjoyed about 2...

Rwl congrats to you on your success... When do you go for your ultrasound to find out how many babies you have?

Please forgive me for not mentioning some of you ladies, it is not intentional its that I am new to this again and I am still learning the board...

I wish everyone success on your IVF cycles and am so glad to be back here with ladies who I can share my journey with and share your experiences and journeys with also...

Mandy

Old 01-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
(female)

RwL HB User

Mandy,

For me, the shots were not painful (for the most part) and I didn't have any side effects (moody, increased/loss of appetite, etc.). My husband gave me the shots and every once in a while he would not do as good of a job and it would pinch for a little. Some people find the shots to be painful....it's one of those things that you won't know until you start.

I go in a week from today for the first ultrasound.

Jessica

Old 01-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
(female)

mandyc911 HB User
Smile Re: Newbie

Thanks for replying, My girlfriend is a RN and she is going to do all the injections for me. I had heard that they are painful so I was a little curious.

Jessica what was your infertility issues? I am just curious as to what problems women have that would bring them to IVF. I had a tube reversal. My chances were not high at achieving pregnancy. However I got pregnant several times but miscarried early and only one was confirmed by a doctor then that was also a miscarry around 7 weeks preg. I am 36 years old and I don't want to waste alot of time trying to conceive. I mean I have been trying for almost 7 years now. So my husband and I decided to bypass my tubes and go for it with IVF.

Jayme I have an appt at 10:00am on Jan 14th. She said I will start birth control when my AF starts. That should be on the 18th. Are you on your BC pills now or are you starting your pills on the 10th I can't remember... Maybe you and I can be cycle buddies... I mean IVF buddies... whatever you call it... we can give each other moral support... You're going to be a little ahead of me but this will be exciting... Hope to get our BFP's the first try.. my fingers are crossed for us both...

To all you ladies have a wonderful night and Happy New Year to you all and hoping all you ladies are blessed with babies in your near future... God Bless!!!

Mandy

Last edited by mandyc911; 01-01-2009 at 08:15 PM. Reason: forgot a word

Old 01-02-2009, 06:17 AM   #11
(female)

RwL HB User

Hi Mandy,

I'll give you the condensed version of what brought me to IVF

My husband and I were trying to start a family several years ago, we tried for about 6 months and no luck, I happened to have my annual with my OB/GYN and my husband encouraged me to talk with her even though we had only been trying for a short amount of time. He also had scheduled an appointment to have his sperm checked so we both were going to get checked together.

After discussing some stuff with Dr. she scheduled a vaginal sono to be performed (they thought I might have endo) and lo-and-behold a tumor was found on left ovary. Three weeks later I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer (never had any major symptoms and there is no family history). Had surgery and left ovary and tube were removed, right ovary and uterus were biopsied and came back clean. Husband found out that he had vericoseles (spelled that wrong) and borderline morphology so we met with a recommended RE and they indicated that we would have better luck with IVF with ICSI then IUI because of our combined issues. We waited a little while to start with IVF so that I could heal and such.

First IVF attempt ended with ectopic in right tube and the drug used to stop the pregnancy and flush it out didn't work for us. I had to take two doses and still the embryo was growing and it was becoming increasingly painful (and I have a high pain threshold). I ended up having emergency surgery and the right tube had to be removed. It was just in the knick of time because the embryo apparently was wedged high into the tube resting against a major blood vessel, had the embryo burst and damaged the blood vessel I could have had massive internal bleeding.

Took a several months off to heal again and then got right back on the horse and started with a FET transfer....and I think you know the rest. I was 32 when I was diagnosed with cancer and just turned 34.

Jessica

Old 01-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #12
(female)

mandyc911 HB User

Wow Jessica you have been on a journey. I had a bit of a story myself but it would take a long time to tell it... In short, I had a reversal, one side is 3cm and the other is 6cm however it is backwards. I have 2 children, a boy 15 and a girl 17 who is now married with a baby age 1month. My heart has not stopped wanting a baby even though I am a grandmother. My family laughs but my daughter thinks its cool.

I have been pregnant 3 times but only 1 was confirmed by a Dr. That one ended also in miscarriage at almost 7 weeks. I have then divorced and remarried, it has been 3 yrs. My husband and I started trying in July with no success. Thing is I did the BBT, ovulation kits, temps, fertility doctors and clomid for 4 yrs with the ex. Frankly I am tired of all that and the main probably is my tubes. If my hormones are a factor then I am unaware of it. I know when I had the miscarriage it was a very very stressful time in my life. I fainted and they did an x-ray of my head cause they thought I had a seizure. They did cover my belly but between the stress and the x-ray and my ex husbands fertility issues I am shocked I got pregnant and it lasted almost 7 weeks.

I am greatful however as crazy as it may sound. God knows best!!! He and I are no longer married and I am now remarried to a wonderful man. He only has one child but that was a choice not due to infertility.

I have a really good feeling we will achieve pregnancy with IVF. Before I was worried and troubled about the expense and failed cycles but not this time. I feel confident that this is the way to go and my husband said he has a real good feeling about this and that we are going to have more than one.

I hope he is right. I have been dreaming of having more children for years. Even if I have one more then I will be happy about that.

Is there any girls out there that is starting there IVF cycle this month like me? I know Jayme said she was starting it this month and I believe a lady named Coco.

I will be back on a little later. Hope you are all having a great Friday

Old 01-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

km7503 HB User

I'm doing an FET, probably transferring at the end of next week. I know it's not the same timing and protocol, but we can still be cycle buddies. I've been there so if you have any questions, concerns, or need advice, I'm here.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
(female)

mandyc911 HB User

km7503 thank you! Sorry, but what is a FET? I would love to be cycle buddies that sounds so cool.

You ladies are all so supportive. Thank you for sharing and talking with me and wanting to be apart of this journey with me. You are all tooo sweet!!

Lots of Love
Mandy

Old 01-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #15
(female)

Jayme82 HB User

Mandy,
**REMOVED*****that is so exciting that you have your appt on 1/14! You asked about the BC, I am currently on BC and will begin my first shots of Lupron on 1/7 and continue taking BC with that until 1/10. I should begin AF by 1/13 at which time I will call my RE and schedule some additional blood tests so my meds can be adjusted accordingly. It is amazing how percise everything must be in this entire process!

I will certainly be ahead of you since I have already been on BC for three weeks, so I will keep you posted as I go through this process so you have a few different perspectives to try and prepare yourself for this process!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Jayme

~BFP via IUI Jan '06- Ectopic pregnancy
~BFP via IUI Aug. '06- Ectopic pregnancy- lost both tubes
~IVF Feb. '08 - beta 2/16 - BFN
~FET June 24th - BFN

Last edited by Mod08; 01-02-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Please read the posting rules, do not discuss other message boards.

Closed Thread