It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 05:45 AM   #1
(female)

Jayme82 HB User
1st IVF in January - excited and nervous!

Hello.....I use to post on these threads a couple of years ago when my husband and I were doing IUI's, we have taken a couple of years off from TTC and going through the infertility roller coaster. We are now back in full swing and will do our first IVF cycle in January. I am currently on BC and had an appt yesterday on 12/30 to have an US to make sure I am responding well to the BC and also to pick up all of my meds and learn how to do all of my injections (which I have already done a few when we did IUI). Everything looked right on track, my uterus lining was great and we could potentially end up with 17 mature follicles from stimulation so it looks like we should definitely have some to freeze which is a relief!

It is so surreal to me that we could possibly be pregnant in about a month...but at the same time it could end in another disappointment. I am so excited and nervous at the same time! Infertility is such a trying battle, it is so difficult to keep a positive attitude when you continue to get shot down. I did end up getting pregnant twice with IUI but both ended in tubal pregnancies, the 2nd one was actually twins and ended up resulting in both tubes needing to be removed during emergency surgery. Now IVF is absolutely our only hope, I am just praying and trying to keep positive thoughts that this will work for us.

These boards certainly gave me hope in the past and if nothing else, just the possibility of getting in touch with others that really know what we are going through. While these boards do give me hope, they are also a bit of a reality check that we may still not end up with our own little one. It is so wonderful to hear success stories and at the same time so heartbreaking to hear those that do not succeed. My heart aches for all of us, I just hope that one day we will all find peace in our infertility struggles. My husband and I already know that adoption is certainly a very real option and is something that we plan to do no matter what, but we so desperately long to have a child that we created as well. I am sure so many of you can relate to that very same longing.

I am also looking for someone that can offer a little insight on what I can really expect through the IVF process. Of course I have done the research online, spoken with my RE and nurses and also bought many books, but nothing can compare to getting real life stories.

If there is anyone else that will begin IVF in January, I would love to keep in touch!

Good luck to all of us and may God be with each and everyone of us and give us strength to continue moving forward in the new year!!

Jayme

~BFP via IUI Jan '06- Ectopic pregnancy
~BFP via IUI Aug. '06- Ectopic pregnancy- lost both tubes
~IVF Feb. '08 - beta 2/16 - BFN
~FET June 24th - BFN

Last edited by Jayme82; 12-31-2008 at 05:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
(female)

wantmybaby HB User
Re: 1st IVF in January - excited and nervous!

Hey Jayme:

Good luck on your cycle. I too am starting my 1st IVF in Jan. I have been on lupron injections since Dec 24th and BC for a month. I was suppose to get my periods on Jan 2nd (ofcourse plus/minus) 2 days and i think i am going to start today. My retreival is scheduled for Jan 16(plus/minus 2 days). I am hella nervous. I have verly low pain threshold and absolutely zero pain tolerance level. ALso had 2 failed IUI's. Really keeping my fingers crossed and hoping this IVF works. Getting very desperate to have my baby. ALL my friends are either pregnant or delivered in last few months. Hope we both join their band wagon as well.
Please keep in touch. When are you going for your retreival? Also my DR is really againt putting 3 blastocysts. I am desperate for twins but he is not ready to put 3 in. He said if i really really insist he might out 3 but on 3 day transfer defintely not on 5 day embryo transfer. I dont know what option should i choose. What are you planning to do and whats your protocol?

Old 12-31-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
(female)

Jayme82 HB User

Hello wantmybaby, thank you for your response!

That is so exciting that you have arleady begun your lupron injections, I am sure that is just another step that makes this whole thing seem so real! I will begin my lupron injections on Wednesday 1/7 and continue with the BC through 1/10, I should begin AF by around 1/12-1/13 so once I begin that we will have a better idea on the scheduling of retrieval. I am so anxious to really get this whole thing started! I bet you are so excited and nervous to be so close to your retrieval, Jan. 16th will be here before you know it!

My husband and I have also expressed our desire to one another about wanting twins, but we have decided to leave it in the hands of our RE and what their team thinks is best for us and not push the subject although they are fully aware of where we stand with the subject. We figure we have come this far, we should not get too greedy and just hope that we can end up with at least one healthy one through this!

I know exactly what you mean about your friends all either being pregnant of having just had a baby, it seems everyone around me is the same way. Either I have baby shower after baby shower to go to or I 'should' make a trip to a friends house to welcome their new little addition. Although I am certainly happy for all of my friends and family who are having children, it does not make the pain any less to want something so badly and feel like everyone else around you can have it in the blink of an eye while we continue to sit here with empty arms. I have faith that one day we will have our own little one, it has just been more of a challenge than I had ever imagined!

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, please keep in touch as you progress, I would love to hear your entire experice since you are about two weeks ahead of me! I really hope we can both be lucky and start off the new year with a bang! Good luck, and again, please keep in touch!!

Jayme

~FET June 24th - BFN

Old 01-02-2009, 05:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

km7503 HB User

Hi ladies! Wow! Your posts sound so familiar to what I was going through in '06 when I was about to start IVF. To make a long story short, we did one fresh cycle (transferring 2 on day 3) and it ended with a BFN. I had 2 frozen blasts from that and did an FET next which only left me a little bit pregnant at a 9.5 hcg level. That ultimately ended in a negative as well. So, we did the next fresh, adding acupuncture to the mix and transferred 2 blasts and got pregnant (with one)!! We didn't have any to freeze. My daughter will be 2 in April. All this past year ('08) we have been trying for baby #2. We did the "natural" route for a while with supplements, acupuncture and charting temps to see if we could get lucky. We didn't, so we did another IVF this past summer with a new doctor and transferred 2 on day 3 & I got pregnant but it ended up being a chemical. Luckily though, we had 9 to freeze!! We did an FET in the fall transferring 3 day 3's (or technically day 4 since they let it grow an extra day) and none of them took. Then, we took a break. We are now doing another FET where we will transfer 3 more next week. I am excited but very cautiously optimistic. I was so overconfident that we would get at least one from the last frozen and was severely let down especially since it came right after my miscarraige.

I just wanted to say that I've been there. It is emotionally draining. But through all the ups and downs (and you can see I've been through both), you become stronger and more resiliant. I've also been there when it comes to others being pregnant. When I found out I was pregnant with my daughter, my 2 friends already had babies and one of them was then pg with her 2nd 3 weeks later, my sister-in-law had just become pregnant before me (and had 3 already) and also another friend. This time, my twin sister (who has gotten pg right away with both) found out she was pg with baby #2 just as I was miscarrying and now another friend of mine is pg and my sister-in-law is pregnant AGAIN with baby #5!!
And, the discussion about twins...I'm a twin so I too wanted to become pregnant with twins especially if that meant that I wouldn't have to go through the process again. And, I guess for some it's in the cards, but for me, so far it hasn't been. In total, I have transferred 11 embryos, had 2 negative cycles, 2 chemicals and only 1 healthy baby. Try not to obsess over the possibility of multiples...I've been there too. In fact, when we increased our embryos to 3 last time, I started freaking out that we would get triplets but I didn't get any.
Also, the idea of transferring 2 or 3 on day 3 or 5 is a HUGE topic for debate. I've been through 2 different doctors that had 2 different approaches to this. My first one was more of a fan of day 5 transfers and she and the others at the clinic took all embryos to day 5 if they saw they were looking good on day 3 and only froze on day 5 if the embryo was a healthy blast. My other doctor is much more of a fan of day 3 transfers. He said that when he started doing day 5 tranfers, their pregnancy rates dropped. Also, he did freeze on day 3 and ultimately gave couples more to freeze because of this. So, at first since I was successful with it, I was a big fan of day 5 but had mimimal to freeze. Now, I've been successful on day 3 (but not fully successful) and have had many more to freeze which has not helped me to get pregnant yet, but has definitely helped the process be much less stressful. I heard once that it doesn't matter if it's a day 3 or 5, frozen or not, if the embryo is meant to get you pregnant, it will. Good luck ladies and if you want any more nitty gritty details, I'll be happy to give them!!

Last edited by km7503; 01-02-2009 at 05:41 AM. Reason: had more to write!

Old 01-02-2009, 07:30 AM   #5
(female)

Jayme82 HB User

Hello km7503, thank you for your response! I can actually recall when you had your BFP a few years ago, it was pretty close to the time that I had received a BFP which ended in a tubal. I think it is great that you have been able to maintain a positive outlook after everything you have been through. This is certainly a very challenging event in our lives, but I guess as long as we stay positive and continue to move forward, we can ultimately get through anything! I appreciate you sharing your story with us, it is so nice to hear success stories and also coping mechanisms that others have tried.

I will keep you in my prayers to receive your 2nd miracle baby, I hope it works for all of us sooner rather later!! I will keep you especially in my prayers as you have your transfer done next week, please keep us posted!

Jayme

~FET June 24th - BFN

Old 01-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

km7503 HB User

I thought your screenname looked familiar!
Perhaps you also remember that I lost my mom right before I found out I was pregnant. I know she is smiling down on me and my daughter today. In fact, I inherited her 35 year old gardenia that went into shock for the past 2 years and is now finally blooming once again. My older sister said last night that it means mom is looking in on me and I'll get pregnant again. I hope it's true. You know, it is really hard to go through it all and I suppose I have tried to stay positive but I still have many low moments.***REMOVED***

Last edited by Mod08; 01-02-2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: disallowed discussion

Old 01-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #7
(female)

mandyc911 HB User
Wink Re: 1st IVF in January - excited and nervous!

Hi Jayme and wantmybaby! I am starting IVF this month. I have and appt on the 14th and start BC pills when AF starts. Should be around the 18th. Then retrieve and transfer will be done in Feb. from what I am understanding from the consultation lady. I will know more on the 14th. I do know they are going to do bloodwork and ultrasound when AF arrives. I just wish I already had the consultation so I would know more and know what exactly I am supposed to expect.

Hope to stay in touch with you ladies during this cycle and we all 3 get BFP's.

Good luck
Mandy

Old 01-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
(female)

Jayme82 HB User

KM7503-
I do recall that your mom had passed away shortly around that time, I remember you were just going through treatment when she passed and you were so happy to find out you had a BFP, like she was watching over you. I think your sisters theory with the gardenia is possibly true, it seems strange that it would have crashed for two years and now is thriving once again! Maybe it certainly is a sign from above, keep that in your heart and let it guide you!!

Jayme

~FET June 24th - BFN

Old 01-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
(female)

Jayme82 HB User

Hello Mandy!

I will keep you in my thoughts as you wait for your appt on the 14th, it will be here before you know it! That is great that you already know you can do your IVF procedure in Feb., I called back in July to schedule my consultation and was not able to get in for that until September and then for the actual procedure until January.....let me tell you, I thought those 5 months would just drag on and on, but they have flown by to my amazement!

When I had my consultation, it just so happened I was just ending my AF so they did an US and blood work that same day which was really nice. We learned so much at that appt, the appt for us lasted about 6 hours. We discussed what the entire procedure was about and each step in the process along with briefly touching on all of the different meds and what they did. We met with various nurses and also our RE that would be doing the procedure. We had previously undergone fertility treatments, but at a different clinic. Our old clinic did not actually do IVF they only do all of the prep work and monitoring and then send you to a different clinic that they partner with for the actual procedure. We felt more comfortable being in one clinic for the entire process so just decided to find a differnet RE period.

I think you will feel so much more at ease once you have your consultation, my DH and I did anyways.

I wish you luck and please keep us posted on your progress! I hope we see so many BFP's on these boards this year, us included!!

Jayme

~FET June 24th - BFN

Old 01-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
(female)

mandyc911 HB User

I hear you loud and clear... I feel the same way about BFP's... I just read a girl named Tammy just got her BETA numbers today and she is BFP.... This is just more encouraging news...

I have waited so long to be able to do IVF.... I wanted to do it in 2002 but my Dr convinced me to do tube reversal then I could have more babies... Hear I am 6 years later and still no baby...

Are you doing accupucture... I want to look into that and also I read something about baby asprine.

I will ask my RE about all of that on the 14th... LOL I am writing questions down so I don't forget anything....

When are they doing retrieval and transfer on you?

Mandy

Old 01-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
(female)

Baby Bound HB User

Hello:
I just went through my first IVF. Even though it resulted in a BFN the experience was not so bad. I started with the birth control on day 3 of my AF. Then I started the Lupron injections for 2 weeks. Most of the time my husband gave them to me in the back of the arm because that seemed to be the place it hurt the least. ( The thigh was a little painful but the abdomen really hurt.) Every other day I would get an ultrasound and that evening the nurse would call me with my dosage for the night. I produced 10 strong follicles and did my trigger shot which was Follistem that night in the rear. It hurt a little but not much. 36 hours later I went for the retrieval. I was so nervous but definately ready.
When I woke up apparently I was very entertaining. I was laughing and joking with the staff and told one of the nurses that he was very good looking. This is the total opposite of me normally so my husband found it really funny.
I had almost no pain in the recovery room. In fact, the nurse had to make me take Tylenol because I had an hour ride home. After about 30 minutes in recovery I was looking for food and they gave me crackers and Christmas cookies. I got dressed and was able to leave an hour after the procedure.
I got a call the next day that they got 7 eggs and 3 had fertilized. I was thrilled! I went 3 days after retrieval for the embryo transfer.
Yet again the procedure was painless. The hardest part was that you had have a full bladder and be able to hold it while they are pushing on you with that external Ultrasound machine and inserting the catheter in you. ( Normally, I have the bladder control of a 3 year old so don't go by me)
Afterwards I rested for about 15 minutes then got dressed and went home. I was really tired and slept most of the day.
About 3 days post transfer I had cramps every night for about 5 days. The bewitching hour was about 7pm. I called the doc and was told that cramping without blood was a good thing and that everything was fine. This was also the same time I got my progesterone shots so it may have had something to do with that. ( A little tip about progesterone injections: Use the lidocaine cream about an hour before injection and always, always make sure the progesterone is warm. You don't have to heat it up but hold it in your hands for several minutes prior to use. Painwise, it will make all the difference in the world!!!!)
That's about it. The only thing to do after that is pray and wait. (2ww)
I wish you all the luck and pray that you get a BFP. What a way to start the New Year!!
We hope to be able to try again in Feb and maybe we'll get a BFP too.

All the best,
Babybound

Old 01-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #12
(female)

Jayme82 HB User

Hello Babybound,
Thank you for sharing your story with us regarding your IVF journey, I am so sorry to hear that you did not get the BFP you were hoping for but it seems as though you have a really positive attitude and are holding on strong. I really appreciate your step by step explanation, it is nice to hear how people respond to the entire process and to get little tips that did and did not work for others. Since we all have different pain thresholds and respond differently to different meds, it is really nice to hear how others dealt with different degrees of pain and how some little tricks worked for you to minimize teh pain with certain stages of the procedure.

If you do not mind me asking, what is your infertility story that puts you in the IVF boat?

I will keep you in my thoughts, I hope you are able to proceed with your next procedure in Feb. as you are hoping. Good luck and stay strong!

Jayme

~FET June 24th - BFN

Old 01-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #13
(female)

Baby Bound HB User

Hello Jayme:
I am 39 years old and can't believe how I let time get away from me. When I got married we both wanted children but wanted to get our careers on track before starting a family. We were not "financially secure" whatever that means, and wanted to wait until everything was just right.
In 2002 I came down with ulcerative colitis and lost about 100lbs. I was chronically ill for about 2 years then my docs were finally able to get it under control.I was only able to work part-time and that hurt us financially. I was on steroids and gained alot of weight but I was glad just to be semi-healthy again.
Next thing I knew it was 2004 and still no plans to have a baby. We tried timed intercourse for a few months and that was an uphill battle. My DH works in the evening and I work during the day so timing was an issue. He was often tired and felt that "it wasn't the right time." After a while I simply got sick of going through so many changes. Meanwhile my biological clock is ticking away and age 35 was quickly approaching.
We saw a reproductive specialist that was a complete jerk. He tested both of us and found nothing really wrong other than the fact that my prolactin was a little high. I found that out the year before and had been on medication to bring it back to normal. He said that our problem is that we need to have sex more often. We tried it for about 6 months....tick, tick, tick, tick.
I got fed up and found an excellent doc at the Univ of Penn. She ran the same test and thank goodness nothing was really wrong with either of us and this time my prolactin was normal.
Because of my age she suggested an aggressive course of treatment. She would try the IUI a couple of times then move directly to IVF. That's when they discovered my fibroids and did surgery.
By my 39th birthday I was all healed up and ready to start the process and so here we are! The term "unexplained fertility" can be difficult to deal with because you have no idea why you can't get pregnant. So if you don 't know why how can you solve the problem...right? My eggs seem to be good and his sperm is off the charts but for some reason it hasn't worked. Hopefully, when I go to the doctor on Thursday she can shed some light on the issue.
I am so excited for you and hope that you get a BFP!!!

Babybound

Old 01-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #14
(female)

OurBabyDreams HB User

Hi. I'm glad to have found a group of women going through the same thing at the same time. I am starting my first IVF this month with egg retrieval scheduled for January 12 (+/- 2 days). I started Follistim and Menopur last night. Also on baby aspirin, 5 mg of folic acid and doing acupuncture treatments.

We tried IUI three times (1st time miscarried after 9 weeks, 2nd time chemical pregnancy and 3rd time BFN) and are now praying that IVF is our answer. I too am feeling excited and nervous at the same time. It is hard because you want to keep a positive attitude so your body is responsive to the process but that is easier said than done when you know the disappointment that can follow.

I wish you all the best this month and hope we all have BFPs!

Old 01-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #15
(female)

mandyc911 HB User

Wow babybound thanks for sharing your story. I have a friend that has been trying for years and the doctors told her the same UNEXPLAINED INFERTILITY... I am sorry to hear that... However IVF they will monitor everything according to my nurse. You are starting transfers in Feb? I am supposed to do transfer in Feb also if all goes according to what my nurse said... I will find out details on the 14th of this month... I am soooo excited... I am 36 years old and my husband is 39... He has no problems and I had my tubes reversed 6 years ago... I only got pregnant once (confirmed by doc) lost it at almost 7 weeks. That was in 2006... One of my tubes is short and the other is going the opposite way... To my knowledge I have no other problems and my nurse said I am an excellent candidate for IVF. I will say prayers for all of you wonderful ladies and pray all of us get our BFP's this year!!!

Mandy

Closed Thread